Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contactor switch in fusebox

Options
  • 02-01-2013 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

Hi all, apologies in advance if this sounds very basic but electricals are not my thing. I think a contactor switch is not working in my fusebox (see attached pic) - I'm pretty sure the switch controls heating to the hot water tank in the bathroom. The switch in question is in the 'P' position but I'm told should be in the 'Auto' position. I just want to confirm the replacement of this a job for an electrician and not simply a trip to the hardware store for me? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Darwin wrote: »
    Hi all, apologies in advance if this sounds very basic but electricals are not my thing. I think a contactor switch is not working in my fusebox (see attached pic) - I'm pretty sure the switch controls heating to the hot water tank in the bathroom. The switch in question is in the 'P' position but I'm told should be in the 'Auto' position. I just want to confirm the replacement of this a job for an electrician and not simply a trip to the hardware store for me? Thanks.

Definitely not a DIY job
    Need an electrician I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

That's fine just wanted to be sure! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

It doesn't look like a contactor. To me it looks as though if you push the black button in the middle of the breaker it should change to auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

there is a contactor ( 2 units to the right of the one you marked)that looks like it is turned off

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

The unit is a type of contractor. But in the position P, it is permantly on.
    http://www.neweysonline.co.uk/neweys/pdf/Merlin_Gerin_Multi_9_CT_Modular_Contactors_Technical.pdf
    I would follow Irishkopite 2011 advise and put in the middle position for auto running.
    If you are going to replace it then get an electrician to do it as Meercat said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

Is this a nite rate saver setup ? it is only supposed to work at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes its a day/night contactor to take advantage of night rate electricity (the location is in France and the contactor switch is marked 'relais jour nuit' which means day/night relay). The water tank is similar to one of these:
    http://www.thermor.lv/en/Rafale.html
    The water tank has an orange flashing lamp that indicates it is heating, but it is not illuminating, even with the contactor set to 'Auto'. Depending on where the fault is it could be a plumbing job too, but I will arrange an electrician first.

Advertisement