Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running to a standstill

Options
  • 02-01-2013 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Decided it was an opportune time to start my first ever log and as the title says I've ran to a standstill. I'll explain why....
    Female 39(for a few more precious months) fulltime working mother of two. I've dabbled with running on and off for a few years, my pattern is I start from scratch get myself up to running 10k and then get injured. Back running regularly about 18 months, got injured again this time last year got myself back at it again and joined a club in April in the hope of improving and I just needed some company running was getting bored on my own.
    Really enjoyed running with the club and took it into my head that the Dublin Half Marathon was doable, started training for that and got hooked on the longer runs and decided to do DCM 2012, I followed the DCM mentored novice thread and completed DCM 2012 in 4.56. I enjoyed it a lot and plan on running many more marathons. (hopefully getting a bit quicker each time)
    Now the fly in the ointment, my knee started to play up on the downhill bits of the marathon and hasn't recovered since. I took a week off early Nov and did 3 or so runs a week for the rest of Nov. Knee hurt a lot towards the end of runs and for a day after each. I haven't run at all in December, I'd a good few physio sessions and am seeing no improvement. I've an appt with a physio a lot of people on boards recommend tomorrow and hopefully that will see me on the right road and back running soon. So my January posts will probably document my rehab and thereafter feature a bit of running. (I hope otherwise I may murder someone, running is very much my stress reliever)

Targets for 2013
    Run injury free
    Run Achill HM in under 2hrs, my DCM half time was 2.10
    Run DCM sub 4.30 current pb 4.56
    I would like to run 2 marathons this year I had hoped for Limerick or Cork plus DCM. I'll have to see how long I'm out injured now before I can make a call on Limerick/Cork

Will report back on my appointment with the new Physio.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Hey, good luck with the log and with the physio. I was actually just about to start a thread asking for physio recommendations, care to PM me or share the details of the person recommended to you? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

statss wrote: »
    Hey, good luck with the log and with the physio. I was actually just about to start a thread asking for physio recommendations, care to PM me or share the details of the person recommended to you? Thanks.

Sent you pm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good luck with the physio tomorrow.
    When you get back to running, try to run on grass when you can, especially on those long runs. It'll strengthen the muscles around your knee and soften the running impact.
    Fingers crossed we'll see you back at training soon

Had my appt with new physio last night, was very happy him, he definitely seems to know his stuff. He felt my original physio wasn't treating the actual problem at all (I had figured as much given that it was getting worse not better)

He thinks my quads and tight hip flexors are the culprits, he spent an hour manipulating my limbs into positions any self respecting contortionist would be happy with. It hurt a fair bit but the over-riding feeling was relief, it had felt that my whole leg was a corkscrew and after the session it felt like it was unwound. He thinks another session could be enough or maybe a third.

I've to try a walk in a day or so and could be some light running after the next session. Plenty of foam rolling and stretching, which in fairness I already do. I had stopped doing any strength stuff in case it was aggravating things, but I got the go ahead to start that again.

All in all delighted. Hopefully back running soon, yay!!! Family & colleagues will be pleased, I'm much nicer after a run :-)

Back to physio this morning, progress has definitely been made since the last visit. Knee is pain free during day to day stuff, getting up from sitting, stairs etc. I had a good walk last weekend and while I could feel it, it was more achy than painful, this is an improvement. Have done loads of stretching and foam rolling since last visit too. Physio said things had loosened up a lot and I've to try a walk interspersed with some jogging in a couple of days. The challenge now is to take things very very easy and not get carried away with myself which could happen easily. I'll have to behave. I've to cycle to work tomorrow so that will be another test it had been painful cycling. In summary slow progress but at least it's progress!

• Advertisement

Sunday 13th Jan

At last I can post a "run". Met up with the club guys at 9.00 heading out for their LSR's. It felt weird to be putting on the running gear it's been that long. Mad jealous that I wasn't joining everyone, nope I headed off for my 30 mins jog/walk. Part of me was thrilled to be back out, the other part was just daunted by how much time it will take to get back to some decent mileage. The hard bit is going to be keeping myself from doing too much too soon

I'm guessing 2 miles or so covered :-(

Don't worry about the distances, count the regular, pain-free runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck with the running and the log, will be watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Followed. Spent two/three weeks out over christmas so can only imagine how it feels to be out for a long slog. Injury sucks so here's hoping for an injury free season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

RayCun wrote: »
    Don't worry about the distances, count the regular, pain-free runs

+1

Hope to see you back carrying your troops up Stocking lane really soon.

• Advertisement

Monday 14th
    45 mins brisk walk - pain free

Tuesday 15th
    Helped coach kids club session. Took the chance to bring my young lad down to try out the running club, he loved it. He's a few months too young to join so they'll take him in April. He can't wait, so mammy & son can head off to their running Tuesday's & Thursday's from April. I'm delighted he liked it.

Wednesday 16th
    Final visit to physio this morning, got the all clear to start back running. I've to start off 30 mins and see how I get on. No stopping me now.

Deedee2012 wrote: »

Tuesday 15th
    Helped coach kids club session. Took the chance to bring my young lad down to try out the running club, he loved it. He's a few months too young to join so they'll take him in April. He can't wait, so mammy & son can head off to their running Tuesday's & Thursday's from April. I'm delighted he liked it.

Yes, somebody in our house was very excited that the juveniles had a guest member last night! biggrin.png

jcsmum wrote: »

Yes, somebody in our house was very excited that the juveniles had a guest member last night! biggrin.png

They had a great laugh together

Thursday 17th

30 minutes easy, 3 miles done

That felt great!!!

My daughter came with me on her bike so was win win, exercise for both of us and some mammy, daughter chat.

I'm off to foam roll

Fri 18th
    30 mins strength, stretch, foam roll

Sat 19th
    Brought my daughter to Marley Pk to do the Operation transformation walk in the sleet and cold. She thought she walked miles & miles ( it was 4k)
    30 mins strength, stretch foam roll

Sunday 20th
    Met up with my club mates going for their LSR, left them to it and headed off for my 30 mins, enjoyed it greatly even though it was brass monkeys out.
    Home for a rasher sambo and you guessed it 30 min strength, stretch & foam roll. (hasn't escaped my notice that my stretching etc takes the same length as my run, ah well, it will be like that for a few weeks yet)

Roll on next week, hoping for 3 pain free runs

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Great to see u back out running. We finished almost identical times in marathon and I also had very dodgy knee after. It a pain especially when you are all geared with enthusiasm after marathon!! I had almost six weeks off but back now pain free although longest run so far is five miles. Best of luck with log and getting back into the longer runs.

dechol wrote: »
    Great to see u back out running. We finished almost identical times in marathon and I also had very dodgy knee after. It a pain especially when you are all geared with enthusiasm after marathon!! I had almost six weeks off but back now pain free although longest run so far is five miles. Best of luck with log and getting back into the longer runs.

Thanks, damn knees!! Here's to pain free running and quicker times in 2013

Monday 21st
    Knee bit niggly after Sundays run, disappointed about that, just did some stretching and foam rolling

Tuesday 22nd
    Work was mental, daughter was sick so did nowt.

Wed 23rd
    3 miles round Marley Pk, it was baltic.
    Stretch & foam roll after. Knee seems fine, fingers crossed it stays that way.

Thursday 24th
    3 miles at 7am before work, really enjoyed it, I work in Smithfield so ran up the Luas tracks into Phoenix Park and back. It put me in great humour for the day, no niggles

Friday 25th
    Was wrecked in work, we're very busy so hit the couch when I got home

Saturday 26th
    60 mins strength, stretch, foam roll and a bit of Yoga, enjoyed it all bar the Yoga, my flexibility is shockingly bad!

Sunday 27th
    3 miles at 9am. It was so windy it was like trying to run through a brick wall. Enjoyed it but it felt scarily tough for 3 miles, I hope that was the wind.

Summary for the week 3x30 min runs done and no ill effects. Will do the same next week and do a 4th day of 10-15 mins and see how that goes. Determined to do this properly and get back to injury free running.

Bring on next week

Monday 28th
    Stretch & foam roll

Tuesday 29th
    Went down to club for first time in months, they were mostly doing an easy run after Raheny so joined them for my regulation 30 mins. Enjoyed it a lot, it reminded me of why I joined the club, running is a lot more fun with company.

Wednesday 30th
    20 mins walk, 10 mins run, 45 mins strength, stretch & foam roll. It's very bloomin windy out there.
    Today was an extra day that I'll be doing this week to bring me up to four days. Only 10 mins done to see how knee reacts to some running on consecutive days. Seems fine.
    Plan to do 30 mins Thurs and Sunday.

Things seem to be progressing nicely (so far)

• Advertisement

Monday 28th
    Stretch & foam roll

Tuesday 29th
    Went down to club for first time in months, they were mostly doing an easy run after Raheny so joined them for my regulation 30 mins. Enjoyed it a lot, it reminded me of why I joined the club, running is a lot more fun with company.

Wednesday 30th
    20 mins walk, 10 mins run, 45 mins strength, stretch & foam roll. It's very bloomin windy out there.
    Today was an extra day that I'll be doing this week to bring me up to four days. Only 10 mins done to see how knee reacts to some running on consecutive days. Seems fine.
    Plan to do 30 mins Thurs and Sunday.

Things seem to be progressing nicely (so far)

Scuppered myself by saying things progressing nicely The day after that I took to my bed with some sort of bug the kids gave me, felt like death for a week. Then I got a cold and sinusitis, I've asthma and once I get a cold my chest reacts and I cough, a lot! Coughing made me pull a muscle in my back so I've pretty much been a crock for a couple of weeks.

Was out for an indian meal and some vino on Saturday night and left the car with the intentions of running down to get it the next morning.

2 hungover miles on Sunday morning was my introduction back to running after the sick weeks.

Tues 12th
    Headed down to club, they were heading for a hill session on the hill we fondly call the hill of death! Luckily I'm under orders to steer clear of hills at the moment so after a mile I parted company with them and continued on for another two miles on my own. Three miles at an easy pace felt much harder that I would like. It's very much like starting from scratch (again, I've been here more times than I'd like)
    I think I'll root out the HRM that came with my garmin and start using that.

I'm back on my bike cycling in and out of work, 10k each way. Also feels like hard work, since my running fitness has gone, the bike feels tough too.

No choice but to keep plugging away, I'll keep at it and the fitness will come in time.

Tues 12th
    Headed down to club, they were heading for a hill session on the hill we fondly call the hill of death! Luckily I'm under orders to steer clear of hills at the moment so after a mile I parted company with them and continued on for another two miles on my own. Three miles at an easy pace felt much harder that I would like. It's very much like starting from scratch (again, I've been here more times than I'd like)
    I think I'll root out the HRM that came with my garmin and start using that.

I'm back on my bike cycling in and out of work, 10k each way. Also feels like hard work, since my running fitness has gone, the bike feels tough too.

No choice but to keep plugging away, I'll keep at it and the fitness will come in time.

Sorry to hear that D, you missed a 'lovely' session last night! Who thinks these sessions up? :rolleyes:

Wed 13th
    Knee small bit niggly so just did plenty of stretching and foam rolling

Thurs 14th
    Headed to club, the majority were doing an easy run, planned to do my half hour with them and reassess then to see if anything was niggling, all went well and enjoyed the chat as we ran. Tried a sprint for the last 100 metres to see how that would go, felt strong, enjoyed it a lot.

Resisting the urge to run today, really shouldn't go out now until Sunday, we'll see if I can manage to stay in. If I'm good and resist I might reward myself with 10k on Sunday.

Friday 15th & Sat 16th
    Kids off school on Friday spent the day doing kids stuff. Sat spent the day tidying up the garden

Sunday 17th
    Had planned on heading out in the morning but two of my running buddies were heading out at 7. Did 45 mins strength/stretch/foam rolling in the morning.
    Afternoon had a muddy walk around Masseys Wood with the kids. (definitely want to try a run around Masseys Wood if I can talk anyone into coming with me)
    Evening did 4 miles with my buds and had the chat.

So summary for the week
    3 runs totalling 11 miles, most I've managed post injury, progress.

Monday 18th
    Muscles were aching from the squats and lunges done Sunday morning so decided on a run to loosen them out.
    Home from work got kids, 5.00pm, library 5.15pm one child to dancing 5.30pm other child to football 6.00pm, whilst kids busy grabbed the chance for my run and did 4 miles with a smile on my face, I love to run!!!

(definitely want to try a run around Masseys Wood if I can talk anyone into coming with me)

Mail Jim, get him to put it in the weekly mailout. He might go with you himself, he likes the hills

Tuesday 19th
    Rest day

Wednesday 20th
    My day off work, headed out after the school run and bumped into one of my clubmates walking home with a buggy after her school run. Once I mentioned I was off on a run she volunteered to come with me. With the buggy :eek: Now thats a real woman! CS if you're reading this get off the internet and finish your housework.
    4 miles in glorious sunshine.

Thursday 21st
    Cycled 10k each way to work. Its all uphill on the way home and there was a gale blowing in my face.
    4 miles with the club, it was supposed to be an easy run, it didn't feel easy. This was my third run of the week and cycling too, the legs felt it.

Friday 22nd
    10k cycle each way to work
    Wine and dvd :)

Saturday 23rd
    A full days housework

Sunday 24th
    4 miles easy with the club. I ran with the novices to keep the pace low, It was my first time since November tackling death hill (stocking lane) I was anxious how my knee would react to the hill. Theres a long downhill the other side which I think contributed to my dodgy knee in the first place. I took it very handy going down and could feel the knee tightening, which proves what I suspected. I'm right to be staying clear of hills for the moment.
    The coach in the club who leads the Sunday runs has been leading them for a year exactly today. We decided to have a little tea party after the run this morning to say thanks. A horde of sweaty runners descended on my house at ten this morning and demolished a mound of cake. A run with company followed by cake, what more could you want out of a Sunday morning? Lie ons are for losers!

Great week at the running office 4 x 4 mile runs and some cycling. Getting back on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Thats a nice weeks work. Great to see the knee is holding up

Fair play to you on the hosting yesterday Dee. The photos looked great! :)

• Advertisement

Monday 25th
    Rest

Tuesday 26th
    Club run, despite saying I'd steer clear of hills I joined the novices for a hill repeat session. 1 mile w/up and 1 mile c/d
    6 hill repeats, 4 miles total. Enjoyed it and knee held up fine.

Wed 27th
    Went to gym, used to be a member and go regularly but running has eaten up that time. Did 3 miles easy on treadmill (yuck) 45 mins weights and a bit of a swim to round it off.
    Already walked 1.5 miles this morning and will walk 2 miles later for school collection.
    Seems more than it feels when you type it!!

Advertisement