Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running to a standstill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Thurs 28th
    4 miles @ 10 min mile pace with club

Friday 1st
    Rest day although got up at 6.30 to stretch & foam roll

Sat 2nd
    3 miles 9.45 min mile pace, brought daughter with me on her bike so bit of exercise for her too

Sun 3rd
    Was at a 40th birthday Sat night so a lie on and rest day was required

Summary of week, 4 runs done again, 14 miles. Got a hill session done which is an increase in intensity, good week on the road back to fitness

Mon 4th
    Grabbed the opportunity for a run when I got home from work and dropped kids to dancing and football
    4 miles easy, I like these sort of runs to decompress after the days work

Tues 5th
    10k cycle x 2 in and out of work, lovely day for cycling, can't say that too often

Most people on the post DCM 12 thread have got scarily fast so it's time to knuckle down to some speedwork now that I seem to have the knee injury under control (fingers crossed)
    Did a 10 x 400's session with the club. Haven't done any speedwork since about September last year so I was a bit nervous starting. I really enjoyed it bar thinking I might part company with my lunch

Wed 6th
    I had errands to run so got out on the bike and got in some cross training whilst I was out and about
    30 mins stretch and foam rolling

Thurs 7th
    Did a circuit training session with the club. Sweated buckets, nice to do something different

Fri 8th
    Off for weekend in Westport plenty of food & drink

Sat 9th
    Spent the morning climbing Croagh Patrick, a killer on the legs. How do people do it barefoot? Quads were screaming

Sun 10th
    Mothers day, rest & foam rolling

Mon 11th
    Still banjaxed after weekend away... Rest

Thurs 12th
    4 miles easy with a friend

Wed 13th
    5 miles steady. Longest run post injury, last mile was uphill & felt fine, yay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

That's great about the 5 miler Dee. And you were super impressive at the core work last week! :cool:

Thurs 14th
    Circuit training session with club, this was up my street as I've always liked gym stuff.
    Squats, lunges, upper body with weights, skipping etc, then a load of core stuff. A good alround workout

Fri 15th
    Rest

Sat 16th
    Marlay parkrun 27.40
    In a bid to get to grips with trying to speed up a bit I've decided to do the parkrun when I can. I hate 5k's with a passion, mainly cos I'm rubbish at them. I went off too fast and died a death thereafter. I've a lot to learn about pacing and trying to push myself. I got some good tips from the speedsters in the DCM 2012 thread so will try to improve on the next one.

I bought a skipping rope & dumbbells, I hope I'll use them and they won't just gather dust. My 7 year old spent the afternoon trying to build up his guns, he says they're bigger than mine, I think he's right!

Sun 17th
    Out at 9am in sleety cold, it was baltic. Did 4.5 miles, legs dead after the parkrun the previous day. Glad to get it done. Then off with the kids to the funfair in Bray.
    Foam rolling and stretching in evening.

Summary of week 4 runs, 16.5 miles & a circuit class. Happy with that, keeping injury at bay and slowly building up the miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    I went off too fast and died a death thereafter.

It has to happen some times, the only way you can find your limit is by going past it now and again. The parkruns are a good time to practice that.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

RayCun wrote: »

It has to happen some times, the only way you can find your limit is by going past it now and again. The parkruns are a good time to practice that.

Hi Deedee missed your log until now, just read all, delighted to see your back running, and 27:40 is not so bad and about best I can do at present, my PB is 25:10 a few weeks after DCM at fittest where we ran same so you'll get there, it's great your taking it easy with recovery

Walkedit wrote: »

Hi Deedee missed your log until now, just read all, delighted to see your back running, and 27:40 is not so bad and about best I can do at present, my PB is 25:10 a few weeks after DCM at fittest where we ran same so you'll get there, it's great your taking it easy with recovery

Thanks M, you getting much running done?

Thanks M, you getting much running done?

TBH it's been a bit mixed and a slump since Xmas, since new year I've had 3x weeks off with a virus and 1 wipeout (no running) work week. Total so far ytd 194m which is 20m off avg runrate to make 1000 miles in 2013. I'm still catching u after Virus, was right on track and came back 50m behind! Doing the 1000m is my absolute min goal in 2013. Last 3x wks avg 28mpw is much better.

All of it has been real slow avg overall 10:46! I did 7mx 9:58 on Monday in a 10miler and it nearly killed me, struggled home in 12min miles from there on. I just thought I'd share some details as mostly ye hear about great runs and ever faster paces, so not all of your DCM '12 buds are racing off into sunset.

I'm hoping to start a bit more structured running again once I'm getting out every week. Not sure if there will be any proper races before DCM, maybe a proper HM before end of Summer, and of course loads of parkruns where I've mostly been volunteering but am promising myself to run at least 1 in 3!

I wish I had a club like yours nearby, I've tried one locally but not feeling it so next stop is to give Raheny a shot - seems they have a great meet & train scene, some others going there and all good reports. Also had a run with Rasher recently and that was good as I'm usually running on own.

Jez that was a long winded answer! Hope you can get back to fully fit for running and we can both do 4:20 in DCM

Hope you can get back to fully fit for running and we can both do 4:20 in DCM

Sorry, DeeDee is running 3.59 in DCM

• Advertisement

Sorry, DeeDee is running 3.59 in DCM

Think you're mixing me up with another DeeDee Ray!

7 months training -> 3.59, no problem

7 months training - < 3.59, no problem

FYP I like it,
    Raycun is probably right though we need to just HTFU :eek:
    Now where's that feckin plan gone?

can I follow you around again Deedee, even just for the first 20 miles?

FYP I like it,
    Raycun is probably right though we need to just HTFU :eek:
    Now where's that feckin plan gone?

can I follow you around again Deedee, even just for the first 20 miles?

You're more than welcome to keep me company for 20 miles, can't guarantee I'll be doing 4hr pace though :-)

You're more than welcome to keep me company for 20 miles, can't guarantee I'll be doing 4hr pace though :-)

Thank, Sure we both know there are no guarantees! Lets's see how we are doing and be open to what's possible - and dream about the impossible. My plan has been to get sub 4 but probably over 2x outings so 4:20 was the interim step in my mind. My biggest concern is staying injury free so having come to the distance/running late I'm thinking 1 marathon a year may be my limit for now anyway! so the sub 4 was always 2014

Anyway as we know time enough to fix on time goals after the Half!
    Lots of running tio enjoy before that.

Mon 18th
    45 mins strength & stretch

Tues 19th
    Down to club for 400's
    1/2 mile Wup and Cdown 10 x 400's

Wed 20th
    3 miles

Thurs 21st
    Circuit training session with club. Enjoying these sessions

Fri 22nd
    Planned on heading out before work, got up looked out window and chickened out, it was flippin lashing. Should have gone anyway

Sat 23rd
    Big night out to celebrate my birthday (40th sshhh)

Sun 24th
    Hungover......all day

Mon 25th
    3 miles, legs were dead, think was still feeling the after effects of Saturdays boozing

Tues 26th
    Birthday, would have been divorced if I'd have headed to my usual club session. Out for dinner with hubby & kids

Wed 27th
    Kids off school so whilst they made a snowman in the garden I did 45 mins strength & stretching. My 7 year old bought me a pink kettlebell for my birthday. When he was buying it my hubby asked him would I like it, son replied no she won't like it she'll LOVE it. I do, he knows his mammy well. :-)
    PM
    6 miles. Suprisingly lovely night for a run
    Six miles is my longest run yet post injury, enjoyed it and was delighted to feel good all the way round. Last mile was fastest.
    Finally a decent length run, worth getting the runners on for.

Onwards and upwards. Will keep on as I've been going slowly increasing the mileage each week. Hopefully that and the strength. stretching and foam rolling will keep me an injury free zone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Happy Birthday D :)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Mon 18th
    45 mins strength & stretch

Tues 19th
    Down to club for 400's
    1/2 mile Wup and Cdown 10 x 400's

Wed 20th
    3 miles

Thurs 21st
    Circuit training session with club. Enjoying these sessions

Fri 22nd
    Planned on heading out before work, got up looked out window and chickened out, it was flippin lashing. Should have gone anyway

Sat 23rd
    Big night out to celebrate my birthday (40th sshhh)

Sun 24th
    Hungover......all day

Mon 25th
    3 miles, legs were dead, think was still feeling the after effects of Saturdays boozing

Tues 26th
    Birthday, would have been divorced if I'd have headed to my usual club session. Out for dinner with hubby & kids

Wed 27th
    Kids off school so whilst they made a snowman in the garden I did 45 mins strength & stretching. My 7 year old bought me a pink kettlebell for my birthday. When he was buying it my hubby asked him would I like it, son replied no she won't like it she'll LOVE it. I do, he knows his mammy well. :-)
    PM
    6 miles. Suprisingly lovely night for a run
    Six miles is my longest run yet post injury, enjoyed it and was delighted to feel good all the way round. Last mile was fastest.
    Finally a decent length run, worth getting the runners on for.

Onwards and upwards. Will keep on as I've been going slowly increasing the mileage each week. Hopefully that and the strength. stretching and foam rolling will keep me an injury free zone
    Happy Birthday or should I say Happy first anniversary of your 39th birthday!!!;)

Ah happy belated Birthday D! Great news on the 6 miler!

Thurs 29th
    Circuit training session with club. Legs were sore from previous days strength stuff so was expecting them to be very sore after this.

Fri 30th
    Was itching to get out for a run, off work minding the kids so had to improvise. Threw their bikes in the car and headed to Bushy Park. Trotted around after them on their bikes. Win win, fresh air and exercise all round. Got to 2.5 miles before they staged a revolt and would go no further. In fairness to them each lap of the park had taken them past the playground entrance. Into the playground for a play and slowly froze to death in my running gear. Had to have a boiling bath when we got home to thaw out.

Sat 30th
    One vomiting child meant I was going nowhere, had to content myself with some upper body stuff

Sun 31st
    Clocks going forward didn't endear me to getting up for this run.
    Sun run with club. Nice group of ladies running about my pace meant a lovely 5 miles around the area. It was a very pleasant run and i'm starting to feel my fitness coming back now which is cheering me up no end.
    Coach was waiting with bags of mini creme eggs for all.

Summary of week
    4 runs 16.5 miles + a fair bit of strength stuff. Happy with that

Now off to eat the Easter dinner hubbies making followed by Lemon & raspberry meringue roulade that I made earlier :-)

• Advertisement

B knows how to treat his ladies! :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    B knows how to treat his ladies! :)

That he does!

Mon 1st
    5 miles in the morning, nice bright morning but a bit windy

Tuesday 2nd
    First club session of year in daylight yay!!
    1/2 mile w up and c down
    6 x 800's
    My garmin was measuring these as 900's!!
    Did these on the Firhouse Rd which is a hardship it's like a wind tunnel. So we had three uphill with the wind behind us and three downhill with the wind in our faces, ie hard work both directions.
    First rep was 9.09 min/mile, last was 8.11, average 8.30, messed up the garmin a bit I've never tried it with intervals before. The good news is that I didn't think I could run at that pace (yes I know it's not fast, but it's fast for me!)
    Very pleased with that it was a good
    workout and to have the last rep the quickest was great cos I really pushed at the end. Never thought I could enjoy this sort of session but running it with clubmates makes it doable

Everyone said it was a tough ole session alright - that Firhouse road is torture. Can't say I was envying you all running up and down.
    And well done on those rep times!

Wed 3rd
    1 hr strength and stretch

Thurs 4th
    Legs in bits after all the squat and lunges yesterday

5 mile club session
    First and last mile was to get to "the hills" then 3 x 1 mile loop taking in 3 sharp hills, each hill had a downhill too at least but the session was a killer with each finish into a stiff wind. This is actually my favourite club session strangely enough.

Fri 5th
    Rest and drinking session with some of the lady club members :rolleyes:

Sat 6th
    Very hungover :eek:

Sun 7th
    9 am run with club, 6.6 miles covered at an average 9.50. Lovely morning for a run and enjoyed it. Longest run post injury. Felt nice and comfortable at the end and would have happily kept going. Stopped when I did cos it was two tough club sessions this week so really better off not overdoing it.

Summary of week
    4 runs totally 20.6 miles, delighted to have reached the 20 mile in a week point and hopefully can tack on a few more miles next week

Mon 8th
    Home from work minding sick child (again)
    3 miles once hubby came home and I could escape

Tuesday 9th 3.5 miles ish I think
    Club session, one mile warm up then 100m jog 300m fast 100 jog for 30 minutes.
    Felt awful during this I hadn't eaten properly during the day and I started to feel a horrible low blood sugar cold sweat feeling creeping up on my as this went along. I left probably 5 minutes before the end of the session as I really was worried I might faint. Very slow jog mile home. Once I got home hubby produced a sausage bap and once I ate that I felt fine.
    Am going to take my lesson from that, I really need to have a look at my eating habits and the timing of when I eat and make I have enough fuel to do the training on.

Wed 10th
    On sick child duty again

Thurs 11th 4 miles
    Escaped to work and I made the most of it by heading in for 7am and going for a run pre work. 4 miles easy, from Smithfield into the Phoenix Park as far as the papal cross roundabout and back down. Really enjoyed this and was a real head clearer. In great form for the morning afterwards. I hope to do more of these runs if I can get to work early. Doesn't often work out as a lot of the time I'm on school run duty before work

Thurs pm Club Circuit training.

Fri 12th
    Cycle to work 10k each way. I hate the cycle home its a feckin uphill :(

Sat 13th
    1 hour strength and stretch

Sunday 14th
    8.3 miles in gale force winds. At some stages it felt like I was going to be picked up by the wind:eek: Did this at 9 with two club mates. One was a beginner who had never run further than 10k and wants to start upping the mileage. Average pace was 10.25min miles however the pace was kind of all over the place the windy sections saw us slow a lot and the wind behind us sections speed up. My clubmate was delighted with her longest ever run and so was I because it's the furthest I've run since DCM and injury. Felt fine at the end and really could have kept going if I needed to which is all good.

Going to keep extending the Sunday run over the next couple of week and get up to maybe alternating 10 miles and 12 miles. Plan to get a 5th run in next week, just a short one for now to see how that goes

Summary of week
    4 runs just shy of 19 miles. couple of strength and some cycling. Not bad

Mon 15th
    2 miles easy (although this is the first day of the week this is going to be my sneaky 5th run for the coming week)

Tues 16th
    Club session. 1/2 mile wu 600m, 1k, 2.2k, 1k, 600m. 1/2 cd. Think the long one was supposed to be 1.6k (someone can't measure) Got asked to lead out the beginner group. Was a little peeved cos I was looking forward to a good session but as it turned out I still got a good workout in. The head of the beginner group were going at at decent enough clip for me and the slower guys kind of formed a little group together and were happy.
    Enjoyed this and got more comfortable as time went on, takes me ages to warm up.

Wed 17th
    Easy 3.75 miles after school run, still too bloomin windy for comfort. But at least I got it in before the rain started.

Thurs 18th
    3 miles pre work at 7, from Smithfield into Phoenix Park and back.

pm
    Circuit class with club. Really like these although the coach decided to include burpees, I hate burpees.

Fri 19th
    Rest

Sat 20th
    Rest

Sunday 21st
    9 miles with some clubmates at 8.15 on a Sunday morning :eek: One of the girls had to be home early so it was an early start, yikes. Glad I'd only one glass of wine on Sat night. Am trying to introduce some of my running buds who've been running a year or so now to the concept of the LSR. So off we trotted slowly with me making them slow down all the way. The result was a very enjoyable run for all, great chat and happy smiles all round at the end.

Summary of week
    5 runs (yay) 22 miles (yay) increasing slowly but surely :)

Monday 22nd
    Did an hour strength and stretching. Usually run a few miles on a Monday but my legs felt tight in a lot of places so decided to just do some core and upper body stuff and stretch and roll the legs

Tuesday 23rd
    Club session 6 x 500's (I think they were 500's didn't start the garmin and jcsmum has them as 480's on her log so ?)
    This was a tale of two halfs, half slightly uphill into the wind and half slightly downhill with the wind behind. 750 cool down. This session flew by and while it was hard I enjoyed it.

Wed 24th
    4 miles after school drop off. Was supposed to be a recovery run but I kept speeding up so just went with it. Average was 9.40m/miles. Slower on the uphill bits and quicker on the downhill.

I'm doing the Samsung run on Sunday and I've never actually done a 10k (haven't done that many races at all) hence I've a difficulty in figuring out what pace to aim for. The above 9.40 average seems like a good enough figure to aim for I think. So I'll keep that in mind and see how that goes

Thurs 25th
    Circuit class with club. Again enjoyed this, starting to feel a small bit more comfortable during it so progress hopefully

Fri 26th
    Rest

Sat 27th
    Rest

Sun 28th
    Samsung night run 10k, 57.29
    Was a bit nervous all day about the race. The fact it was on in the evening was what attracted me to the race, but in fact it felt like I was waiting around all day for it to start.
    Headed into town with some clubmates in our distinctive yellow tops.
    There was a good athmosphere at the start waiting for the off. We were fairly crammed into the start pens though.
    Once we got going things were and remained very congested. Couldn't get a signal for the garmin for most of the first mile so was fairly pee'd off about that. I had no control over the pace anyhow it was so packed it was run at the speed everyone else was running. Eventually got a garmin signal so at least I could see the pace. Running up and down O Connell St at night was a bit surreal.
    Felt comfortable enough with the pace and couldn't have gone a whole lot faster without some serious dodging and weaving the whole way round and it just wasn't worth the effort. I saw a good few people trip and slip. The second half of the race was a series of 90 degree turns or so it felt. I didn't really like the course at all. I ran most of it with a club mate but with a mile or so to go I plugged in the ear phones and tried to pick it up. Managed to up the pace a good bit. Tried a bit of a sprint finish for the end but again there were just too many bodies in the way and ended up running into the back of a girl. The finish was chaotic and huge numbers were channeled down part of the road to collect a medal (which I didn't really want)
    Not sure I'd run this one again. Much too busy for the narrow streets that most of the course was made up of. In hindsight I should have started further up the front.

Splits were as below. this was all the garmin recorded cos it missed the first bit.

9.34, 9.09, 9,12, 9.19, 8.50, 8.36 the 8.36 was for 0.4mile.

Was happy with that, particularly being able to pick it up for the end. (does that mean I could have gone faster all round)
    With a bit of work I think I can improve at this distance and it shows me that I have a much better 5k in me than I currently knock out.

• Advertisement

Mon 29th
    1 hour walk with the hubby. He wanted to know where the fire was, I can't walk slow anymore at all. Even walking at all feels weird (I should be running)

Tues 30th
    Fartlek with club.
    1 mile w/up and c/down. Didn't turn on the garmin so no idea of distances or pace. It was a continous 30 mins of jog,fast,jog. Tried to recover properly on the jog bits and give it some welly on the run bits. Coped much better with this than I had a few weeks previous. Good workout

Wed 1st
    5 miles easy 10.30 pace

Thurs 2nd
    Club were having an internal 5k. I didn't want to run it as I really hate the course. Its a mixture of playing fields, mucky track, undergrowth and path. I offered to run it with the beginners to help them out. Tried my best to get some of them round in 30 mins, they held the pace for a good portion of it but he best I could get was 31/32. they were delighted with that altough I was getting looks of pure hatred from them on the way round. Ended up going back and running the last 750 metres again with the last of the beginners to try and get them home. There was some great running at the speedier end of the club. Off to the pub then for a social which involves a lot of cake eating. The baking is just as important as the running. :) Very enjoyable evening

Fri 3rd
    Rest
    Sat 4th
    Rest

Sunday 5th
    10 miles at 11min pace
    Up and out for 8am for this one with some clubmates. Beautiful morning for a run and the miles flew by as we chatted our way round the locality. Forced myself to keep the pace very comfortable, I'm the unofficial pacemaker for our LSR. Being able to run slow comes in handy sometimes :cool:
    Home for some scones straight out of the oven made by the hubby. It's for mornings like this that I run!

Summary of week 4 runs 22 miles

Advertisement