Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staffy Feeding

• 02-01-2013 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have a 5 month old Staff. Right now his food is working out at 390 grams, divided into three meals. He currently weighs in around 9 kg, so that's roughly 43 grams of food per kg of bodyweight. I'm feeding him Red Mills Leader Puppy. He's growing like crazy but he's not really getting fat. I can feel his ribs easily, but I can't see them with any degree of clarity. Does all this sound correct?

Also, I've made a habit out of pouring warm water over his food. This softens it slightly which makes it easier to eat. Otherwise it takes him ages to finish as he has to crunch his way through. In fact, he seems reluctant to eat unless it's warm and soft. Have I been spoiling him, and should I start serving it dry only?

His stools are soft, and occasionally runny. Could this because I'm serving him soft food? Or could I be feeding him too much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

If he prefers his food soaked theres no need to change it - its just a little extra hydration for him. Id worry though that that particular food is disagreeing with him as his poos shouldnt be that way. Soaking the food wont give runny poos but a food with ingredients he doesnt tolerate will.

Sorry should have added - you might be better staying away from corn/maize and definitely wheat/gluten ingredients as these definitely do not agree with some dogs. Rice only mix or preferably grain-free foods are usually tolerated much better. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The softened food wouldnt make them runny or soft, so its more than likely the food thats causing this. Id suggest trying something a bit better in quality and it might help.

Also, your pup shouldnt be fat, his weight sounds perfect so once he doesnt look skinny, or ribby i wouldnt be overly concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

can you post a photo of him standing taken from overhead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Id say just change up the food. There is nothing wrong with the quality of redmills, just sometimes a dog doesnt agree with something in the food. We had the same problem and ended up going with redmills after trying a few others.

Edit: also when you're changing foods, slowly go off one brand and slowly introduce the other. Switch over a period of about 4/5 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Here's a photo as requested. I can't get him to stand still, so I hope this is ok. I never looked at him from this angle before, and to my eyes he looks slightly thin all of a sudden. Now I'm worried he's underfed, not overfed!?

• Advertisement

Here's another one. Sorry about the awful quality, my camera phone is crap. This is how he normally looks to my eyes. Muscular, with a bit of a belly, but not fat. He certainly looks thinner when viewed from above. Really worried that he's undernourished. Could this be related to the food? He always cleans his bowl, and he seems to be eating loads?

the worry in your post just made me smile (in a nice way!):D Hes lovely but I find it a bit hard to judge from the picture. I think he does look a bit thin but not very much........personally I would have him put on a small bit more weight.

Forgot the pic. Here it is.

In your second picture he doesnt look too thin he looks perfect! Hes only 5 months and still growing so they can be a bit lean at that stage - then they fill out a bit. Its always healthier to be on the slimmer rather than the fatter side. Im always battling to keep two of my dogs weight down as they can get to borderline/ slightly too heavy sometimes (I find it very difficult to refuse the begging)- and its not nice or easy trying to get weight off them.

Just to add (again) you should definitely try changing his food cos he should be producing firm healthy poos not soft or runny ones.

i would say from last photo hes not far off ideal remember hes growing hard at this stage so cant really expect height/length and weight as well just make sure hes well wormed the photo is not great but maybe a little pot bellied which may indicate worms oh by the way he looks a beauty their great little dogs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

he looks the right size for a young staffie, they're a much healthier dog when kept on the slimmer side.

here's my two year old (earlier this eve) and i thinks she's a little tubbier than i usually keep her.

2013-01-03002253_zps56af3ea4.jpg

he looks the right size for a young staffie, they're a much healthier dog when kept on the slimmer side.

here's my two year old (earlier this eve) and i thinks she's a little tubbier than i usually keep her.

2013-01-03002253_zps56af3ea4.jpg

i wonder whos the boss in your house she looks fab i keep springer spaniels and like to have em a little chubbier at this time of year

Thanks for the replies everyone, and apologies for my hysterics. Harley was abandoned, and I took him in specifically because I knew I'd look after him. The thought that he's being deprived of something while he's in my care would really bother me.

His stools have been grand today. He's only on that food about two and a half weeks, so it's possible it's still a residual effect from the changeover. I'm going to give him another week on it to see if it clears up. Anyway, I can't afford new food for at least a week, so it'll have to do one way or the other.

I'm aware that I have to introduce a new food gradually. I done it over the course of 5 days the last time, but I might stretch it to 7 next time, as his tummy still got a little upset.

He was wormed two weeks ago. He had just eaten before the second photo, so that might explain the pot belly. He does normally have a belly, but it doesn't protrude unusually.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Hes a lucky doggy.

As I said, Harley was lost/abandoned. I done what I could to find his original owner, but to no avail. If I'm honest, I don't think anyone wanted to find him. If I lost a dog I'd make it known around my local area. At first he was biting a lot and was really hard to control, so perhaps he was becoming a problem for his owner and they got rid of him.

My vet thinks he looks like a Staff. In fact, she was sure he was. But I'm not so sure. He certainly has something of the Staff look, maybe even a lot, but to me he looks slightly different. I realise Staff's come in different shapes and sizes, but most of the ones I've seen online seem to have a head which looks almost out of proportion to the rest of the body. Harley doesn't really have that. Also, his jaw muscles don't look as pronounced. I think there's some other breed in him. Ultimately, it doesn't matter, I'm delighted with him. But out of curiosity I'd like your opinion.

Edit: I'm having trouble uploading the photo, but you can find it here.

Here's another top view shot.

Thanks.

Edit: double post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

His ear look a bit big to me for a staffy. They do grow into their bodies and fill out a lot as they get older.

He's a cutie!

I didnt want to say, but he doesnt look like a full staff to me.His muzzle is too long and narrow for a staffie.

They arent staffie ears. Staffies have rose ears. But id say he has staff in there somewhere or some sort of bull breed.

andreac wrote: »
    Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Hes a lucky doggy.

:) Thanks.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. Don't worry, I'm not offended. I didn't think he was one anyway. Certainly not a pure breed. But I don't really know what I'm looking for, so it's great to hear your opinions.

They arent staffie ears. Staffies have rose ears. But id say he has staff in there somewhere or some sort of bull breed.

or half pricked ;)

but yeah, he definitely looks X with something else.

From what I've read Staffs can have rose or half prick ears, and Harley's are half prick. So I'm not sure if that's the best indicator. But I agree with you about the muzzle. Im fact, his muzzle and head size were the first things that made me doubt he was a Staff. But there's also his general shape. He's not quite as built looking as Staff pups.

Anyway, I feel terrible talking about him like he's inadequate. It just has me really intrigued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

or half pricked ;)

Ahem, or one of each (lest my little man feel discriminated against).

ThirdMan wrote: »
    From what I've read Staffs can have rose or half prick ears, and Harley's are half prick. So I'm not sure if that's the best indicator. But I agree with you about the muzzle. Im fact, his muzzle and head size were the first things that made me doubt he was a Staff. But there's also his general shape. He's not quite as built looking as Staff pups.

Anyway, I feel terrible talking about him like he's inadequate. It just has me really intrigued.

Where did you get him? Do you know his history. I ask because my staffy was quite weedy looking (for want of a better word) for a time because he had an illness that was let get out of hand so he took a while to catch up on how he should have been. He's perfect now though and really filled out from about 2 years onwards.

Barrys Dolly is a muscular dog who doesn't look hulky, maybe your boy has a similar build?

Whispered wrote: »
    Where did you get him? Do you know his history. I ask because my staffy was quite weedy looking (for want of a better word) for a time because he had an illness that was let get out of hand so he took a while to catch up on how he should have been. He's perfect now though and really filled out from about 2 years onwards.

Barrys Dolly is a muscular dog who doesn't look hulky, maybe your boy has a similar build?

He was a stray/abandoned, so I've no information on him. The photos I put up don't do him justice. He is actually muscular, but maybe not as much as you would expect from a Staff at his age. But as you say, he could still have a lot of filling out to do.

I've read that certain breeds are predisposed to certain health and temperamental problems. So from an information point of view I'd love to know what exact breed(s) he is. But as a pet it doesn't matter. I'm thrilled with him.

ThirdMan wrote: »

I've read that certain breeds are predisposed to certain health and temperamental problems. So from an information point of view I'd love to know what exact breed(s) he is. But as a pet it doesn't matter. I'm thrilled with him.

staffs are predisposed to stinking arse syndrome! you have been warned :D

Advertisement