Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gutted Games

• 02-01-2013 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Anyone else hate it when game shops take the game out of the seal and store it, I have issues enough paying €50+ for a game if it were sealed but paying those prices for an unsealed copy is annoying :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I always just ask for a sealed copy. Never had an issue with getting one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

HMV and Gamestop seem to sell exclusively gutted games now only Smyths and Argos are safe, still want a copy of One Piece Pirate Warriors as I went into Gamestop saw a copy of it and would of bought it on impulse but it was unsealed >.< + Amazon are out of stock of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Why do you have a problem with games that aren't sealed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

humanji wrote: »

unsealed game given as a gift would not look right I guess. Also for returns an unsealed game would be harder to get a refund for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Maybe he enjoys slowly unwrapping them, bathing in the crispness of the foil as it crackles in his manly hands, breathing deep the scent of new game smell before gazing on the naked beauty of the defoiled box.

Something I miss with the move to digital distribution (though not the heap of used boxes just lying around afterwards).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Limericks wrote: »
    unsealed game given as a gift would not look right I guess. Also for returns an unsealed game would be harder to get a refund for.

Ah right. That makes sense.
    Maybe he enjoys slowly unwrapping them, bathing in the crispness of the foil as it crackles in his manly hands, breathing deep the scent of new game smell before gazing on the naked beauty of the defoiled box.

Something I miss with the move to digital distribution (though not the heap of used boxes just lying around afterwards).

And that's kind of creepy. Arousing, but creepy. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    HMV and Gamestop seem to sell exclusively gutted games now only Smyths and Argos are safe, still want a copy of One Piece Pirate Warriors as I went into Gamestop saw a copy of it and would of bought it on impulse but it was unsealed >.< + Amazon are out of stock of it

Its on PSN for €50 including all 10 DLC sets (normally €3/2 each). Its called the Grand Line version, AFAIR (the regular version is the same price, so don't get caught out). 10.8GB download.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

10.8GB download
    Sweet Jesus lol
    Its the principle really I just dont see a unsealed game as new + in gamestops case they go into a drawer god only knows what kind of damage they could do to the disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Stop buying from brick and mortar shops and it stops becoming an issue, specifically gamestop everyone please stop givng them money so they can continue to **** on their customers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 godlesscosmos

****wits at most game shops....been in the business 30 years....never had shoddy assistance and surrounded by child evill in numbers....maybe was the new year...feck next year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Used to work in HMV back in 2006 and this was standard practise then so it's not a new thing. Was generally like this in a lot of places with new/high priced games. The cases didn't have the same slots for security tags.

Some times now it appears stores are provided with display cases, but this doesn't always happen.

There should never be a problem with returning a faulty product if that is the main basis of your concern regarding "gutted games."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Do people here expect Gamestop etc to put sealed games on the shelves????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Melion wrote: »
    Do people here expect Gamestop etc to put sealed games on the shelves????

no. display cases. i tend to be a bit iffy about buying items with their security seals broken.

Another issue is with online passes or DLC included in the case. All I know is I wouldn't buy an opened slice pan so why should I buy an opened game? ( I know they are two completely different things)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭circadian

Non chart titles tend to be gutted. There should be a maximum of two guts meaning two boxes on the floor.

You have 5 copies of Borderlands in store.
    3 sealed and 2 guts. Guts go last meaning you don't have boxes on shelves for games you don't have.

folan wrote: »
    no. display cases. i tend to be a bit iffy about buying items with their security seals broken.

And you expect there to be display cases sent out for EVERY game??
    Majority of people here have obviously never worked in game retail.

Easy enough for them to send a few covers and the store can put them in cases. 30 seconds for for 5 cases. Done.

Easy enough for them to send a few covers and the store can put them in cases. 30 seconds for for 5 cases. Done.

So blame the game companies for not sending them out, dont blam the likes of GameStop and HMV for it. If games werent gutted and put on the shelves then the only games on show would be the big releases, it would be EA EVERYWHERE!!!

So blame the game companies for not sending them out, dont blam the likes of GameStop and HMV for it. If games werent gutted and put on the shelves then the only games on show would be the big releases, it would be EA EVERYWHERE!!!

Store or HQ could easily print a few covers.

Store or HQ could easily print a few covers.

There'd likely be a hoo ha over copyright infringement.

• Advertisement

circadian wrote: »
    There'd likely be a hoo ha over copyright infringement.

That's true. Didn't think of that.

And another issue is storage. 20 gutted games take up no space in a drawer when in the plastic sleeves, each drawer would hold over 200 games, compare that to 200 sealed games on a shelf in the "back room".

Its not feasible for it to happen, i dont see why anyone has a problem with it tbh.

In my experience it's best practice to only have 2 guts of any title. It lessens the risk of someone being annoyed at getting a gut not to mention if the boxes come off the shelves then you don't need to worry about a display case for something you have no stock for.

Must. Use. More. Full. Stops.

In my experience it's best practice to only have 2 guts of any title. It lessens the risk of someone being annoyed at getting a gut not to mention if the boxes come off the shelves then you don't need to worry about a display case for something you have no stock for.

Must. Use. More. Full. Stops.

2 guts on the shelf?

So you'd only put 2 guts of FIFA 14, PES 14, "Generic big Xmas Title" on the shelves? Would you hire someone to just continuously put them back out on the shelf every 90 seconds or so?

They're obviously titles that have been sent out with display cases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There'd be someone spending an entire weekend sliding out old covers and sliding in new covers with that kind of attitude towards all the items. It only takes about 5 mins to repack a box of games, which are usually in units of 25/50. Much quicker and easier to secure the stock. Which is why it's done.
    And another issue is storage. 20 gutted games take up no space in a drawer when in the plastic sleeves, each drawer would hold over 200 games, compare that to 200 sealed games on a shelf in the "back room".

Its not feasible for it to happen, i dont see why anyone has a problem with it tbh.

Those cases will have to be kept somewhere even if the games are repacked separately to'em.

Those cases will have to be kept somewhere even if the games are repacked separately to'em.

On the shop floor, where they should be.

All of them gutted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

yes.
    Melion wrote:

no, we're just the customers. though were usually ignored by game retailers now. Gamestop knows best, remember. Sure why would we want new games anyway, have a look in the pre-owned section.

• Advertisement

All of them gutted?

Depends on the game
    Years back when i did work in a shop the games used to come in boxes of 15, if we only got 1 box of FIFA then they were all gutted and put straight on the shelf if they were the only stock we had.

Whats the point in gutting 1, keeping 14 behind the counter where nobody can see it? A lot of customers will walk in, if the game they want isnt on the shelf they will leave without asking for it.

Advertisement