Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council inspection of private rented houses.

Options
  • 02-01-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

A house near me is let privately.The tenants have been attacked and I am afraid that next time it could be a burning paper through the letterbox or worse.There are no fire extinguishers or blankets provided by the landlord.
    I asked South Dublin County Council to inspect the house and enforce the Housing standards for rented accomodation regulations so at least there would be some fire safety measures in this house.
    They say they only inspect under the act if it's on the list or the tenant complains.
    They will not act on third party complaints.
    This house has had a fire when occupied by previous tenants.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

im not really sure why you would be getting involved anyway. Sounds like you have a vandetta against the landlord or something.

its none of your business, id suggest you keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If the tenants are worried about the standard of the property then why dont they contact the council themselves?

Or better still go out and buy their own fire blankets and extinguishers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They say they only inspect under the act if it's on the list or the tenant complains.
    What does 'the list' mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 canalman

snubbleste wrote: »
    What does 'the list' mean?
    Internal council list due for inspection and they stick to this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

canalman wrote: »
    Internal council list due for inspection and they stick to this.
    Cheers.
    If you are really concerned, send a letter to the head of the relevant Council department and ask them why they restrict inspections in this manner. I can't see any mention in the various statutory instruments about only inspecting places where the occupier complains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

OP: you seem to be under the impression that SDCC actually care about people - they do not.

Write to them again, and cc your local TD and newspaper.

Council now saying they cannot act on a third party report as they never got one before other than from tenants.
    While they will not act on my report they are not refusing to act.
    They will only reply to my email by phone and will not reply by email or letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

....or the tenant complains...

Seems like the solution no?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

A house near me is let privately.The tenants have been attacked and I am afraid that next time it could be a burning paper through the letterbox or worse.There are no fire extinguishers or blankets provided by the landlord.
    I asked South Dublin County Council to inspect the house and enforce the Housing standards for rented accomodation regulations so at least there would be some fire safety measures in this house.
    They will not act on third party complaints.
    This house has had a fire when occupied by previous tenants.

Where the hell is this ?
    You mention that there was a fire there previously ?

Being honest I would say unless the house is next door and is a fire hazard to you, I would stay out of it.
    This is Ireland where one gets shag all protection from our police force and authorites when you can become a target for the type of people who would try and burn others out.

It sound like you have major anti social behaviour going on and it is the Guards who should be getting involved rather than housing safety.

I am not allowed discuss …

There was only one attack but it was bad.
    Council's attitude means anyone beside a rented house cannot make sure landlord obeys the basic fire safety laws laid out in the act and which the council are supposed to enforce.
    Smoke alarms etc. could mean a fire is caught before it spreads to neighbours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement