Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expandable foam for corrugated iron roof

• 02-01-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

I have had a recurring problem every winter with a corrugated iron roof on my shed.
    The problem is with condensation forming on the inside of the shed on the cold metal roof. This then forms big water droplets which fall onto items in the shed causing them to rust etc.

I got an idea when i recently saw a farmyard barn which had the inside roof completely coated with a thick layer of expandable foam spray (The type you use to fill gaps etc).
    I was thinking that this might work for my iron roof. Anybody ever try this or have any views on this idea?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Those cans of foam arent cheap. Best I've seen is €6 a can, you would spend a fortune depending on the size of it. Are you sure they didnt get it spray foamed by a pro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Expensive way to fix the problem - plus how would you get it into all the gaps - would be a night mare - why not lift the roof off put some battens (1 * 2) and get some offcuts of Kingspan insulation to fill the gaps - raising the roof with the battens will make enough space for this and should achieve the results you want, or alternatively

introduce some heat into the shed- 100watt light bulb - this should stop the condensation build up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I think the stuff you saw is the type of spray foam used for insulating boats and barges it's put on at a much higher pressure like spray painting if you tried to do this with a can you would just end up with a big blob. You can buy kits to do it like this http://www.adoos.ie/post/7060089/spray_foam_insulation_diy_kits, but I think it's best to get the pro's in as it's very messy stuff.
    http://www.myfoam.ie/equipment.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Advertisement