Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signature issue

Options
  • 02-01-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I've been a victim of fraud in the past and since then I've been very careful with my signature. I try not to carry my banking details and bank signature at the same time. My current atm card has no signature strip. I use a different signature for work. My credit card remains unsigned, and I see my new visa debit card has a signature strip. I've been told if I don't sign them, I risk somebody else signing them.
    Can I get replacement cards without signature strips? or would it be acceptable for me to deface the signature strip or is there another solution?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi 2 stroke,

Thanks for your query. We currently do not supply Visa Debit cards without signature strips. The reason why your ATM card did not have signature strip is because the ATM card cannot be used to make a payment, only to withdraw cash which is authorized with the pin. Credit and Debit cards require a signature strip to authorize transactions where chip & pin is not in use. And while it's written in the ATM/Debit Card Terms and Conditions that you should sign the back of your card (Section 3.1) it is not written anywhere that it is mandatory. Please be aware that your card may be refused by a retailer if the card is not signed. Also, as you mentioned in your post, if you do not sign the card, you are leaving it open to be signed by someone else. This may aid them in the fraudulent use of your card if it is lost or stolen.

Please note: It is against the T&C's (Section 2.7a) to deliberately alter or deface the card in anyway.

I hope this helps.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Thanks Pat for the reply. Personally I'm ok with tha fact that some retailers may reject an unsigned card, I've used my unsigned credit card on 3 continents without that problem.
    I do maintain a sensible credit limit though, it's unlikly that my credit card could be scammed for more than a few hundred.
    I'm a little more worried about a card that allows access to whatever cash is in my account. As you don't supply cards without strips and defacing the card is against the t&cs, I guess I could just sign it several times untill my signature was unlegible. Anyone got any better ideas?

Advertisement