Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia - How employable am I?

Options
  • 02-01-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I have been unemployed for several months now, and I feel it is time to bite the bullet and move abroad to find work. However, my previous employment experience is very mixed. I hold both an MA and BA in a Dublin university, but in humanities subjects, which are not all that employable, not least because Ireland is in recession.

I have worked freelance for a newspaper - as an editor, researcher and writer - and as a copywriter for a university. I have also done some clerical office work, and some work in the service industry.

Ideally the kind of work I would be looking for would be as a copywriter, a sub-editor or a researcher. I would like to know, from people who are clued in on such subjects, how likely I am to find work in those areas if I was to travel to Australia.

I have been checking www.seek.com.au for jobs, and it is updated fairly regularly, if not to the extent that I would ideally like. Can anyone recommend other sites or methods of exploring jobs before I arrive?

If I were unable to find work as a copywriter, sub-editor or research, I would happily do some clerical or administrative work, though I am at a stage where I would like to get a foot into an industry and stay there, rather than bounce around from industry to industry.

I have relatives who live in Perth and who can put me up until I find employment, if I am to travel out there. I know that the boom in Western Australia (unemployment currently 3.9%, as opposed to Ireland’s 14.8%) is heavily construction-based, and therefore might not be suitable for the kind of jobs I want. If this is the case, is there somewhere else where I am likely to find work? Not just in Australia, but globally.

The last thing I want is to arrive Australia, take forever to find work, end up in some unpleasant service industry job and then come back with my tail between my legs, several grand poorer than when I left.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and please, be honest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭misnormer

i see your predictiment. What is unpleasant industry work in australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

My girlfriend has a degree in journalism and publishing studies with 4 years experience - 3 as an editor and she has found it really tough getting a job in Australia.

We have been here for nearly 7 months now and she is doing project admin for an engineering company on a rolling temp contract. Im pretty sure when we arrived one of the major print media companies went bust and this increased competition in the industry significantly.

Originally we were based in Queensland but had no luck getting a job in Brisbane at all. Moved to Sydney and she has had no luck with journalism jobs unfortunately. There is talk of her going into the publications section of her current company but we will have to wait and see.

In her case she has applied for hundreds upon hundreds of jobs but the WHV seems to be a stumbling block. In some industries this isnt a problem at all but if your degree and experience isnt in a field that is in high demand at the time it will be harder to get sponsored (In my opinion)

My advice would be to apply for every job going when you get here. Beggars cant be choosers and i would prefer working an unpleasant job for a couple of months whilst applying for proper jobs instead of being broke and having to go home.

And although you think you may not be a "beggar" because you have a degree and experience if you are coming over on a WHV and are not in a field that is in high demand you are(In my opinion).

Not trying to be a dick by the way. Good luck with the job search and keep applying for stuff. Once you get your foot in the door the only way is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

The good news for you is I managed to secure employment and sponsorship as a copywriter/journalist in Sydney...so it is possible.

The bad news is, it's very much a "right place, right time" thing.

I have a couple of friends who work in the industry who have also managed to secure steady jobs but for every one who did, I know four who didn't.

It is a gamble coming out here to work in the media. You might get lucky and you might not. Your experience will definitely stand to you if you do get lucky, however I agree with previous poster. Visa is the massive issue. No one wants someone on a WHV. If you can get any other type of visa, do. Otherwise, I'm not saying the WHV thing WON'T work, but be prepared for it to perhaps not.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Advertisement