Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specimen Trees for driveway

Options
  • 02-01-2013 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hiya,
    I am looking for suggestions for some trees for the driveway, I should be able to put 3 or 4 on either side. House is in north cork and the site is very exposed. We don't want the trees to grow excessively tall or full, mainly we would like trees that are pretty to look at and maybe a little unusual. Does it look better using the same trees or mixing it up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Pinky123 wrote: »
    Hiya,
    I am looking for suggestions for some trees for the driveway, I should be able to put 3 or 4 on either side. House is in north cork and the site is very exposed. We don't want the trees to grow excessively tall or full, mainly we would like trees that are pretty to look at and maybe a little unusual. Does it look better using the same trees or mixing it up?
    Personally id keep to same trees if its a formal type style. Keep it in proportion ,ie if drive is 100m long, 8/6 trees might have no impact where as if its 15m long they would look fine. Fastigate/columnar shape type trees are prob what your after. There are types of beech/hornbeam/cherry/birch /poplar that will suit. Others postets on here will add to the list.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I have seen jackmontii birch look really good in that situation, with the really white bark shining in both winter and summer. I have 3 in a clump in the front garden on an exposed site in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Hi Oldtree,

As a matter of interest, how long ago did you plant the Jacqemonti and what height are they now. We planted a group of 5 in Oct 2011. they were about 15 foot tall but the trunks are only about 1.5 inches in diameter. I believe they are slow growers whereas the silver birch are definietly fast growing trees, we also have about 10 to 12 of them .They just flew up in about 4 to 5 years and some are almost 6 inches in diameter.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

secman wrote: »
    Hi Oldtree,

As a matter of interest, how long ago did you plant the Jacqemonti and what height are they now. We planted a group of 5 in Oct 2011. they were about 15 foot tall but the trunks are only about 1.5 inches in diameter. I believe they are slow growers whereas the silver birch are definietly fast growing trees, we also have about 10 to 12 of them .They just flew up in about 4 to 5 years and some are almost 6 inches in diameter.

Secman

11 years ago, they are about 15 foot now but they languished for a while as I planted semi mature for impact rather than taking my own advice and planting small at the beginning. I also shaped them a bit removing the leader to get a more branched effect. 1 of them has just started growing properly in the last 3 years. but the smooth white bark is worth the effort, backed with a purple beech hedge in the summer, lovely contrast.

ordinary birch small plants planted at the same time at in the bach gerden are reaching for the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Hope ye don't mind me bumping up this thread, any more suggestions for decorative trees? :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Multi stem birch/Jacqemonti are a nice tree to line a garden or a driveway.

The white bark in wintertime standing out agaisnt the garden or driveway is lovely to look at.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Pinky123 wrote: »
    Hiya,

Unless you want a crowded and invasive tree line driveway, stay clear of any multi-stemmed trees especially Himalayan Birches. Unless of course your driveway is > 5.0 - 6.0m wide. Himalayan Birches especially multi-stems are more effective as solo features or clustered. Their height and growth tends to be very broad in comparison to the more common Silver Birch. Multi-stem HBs with their much wider growing crowns often starting much lower down than normal, will easily reach across most driveway widths to quickly create untidy congestion or worse still possible obstructions. Also multi-stems require more space than normal varieties, which must also be considered when planting near edgings/kerbs.

Some more practical options would be Sorbus acuparia 'Autumn Spire', Amelanchier 'Snowy Mespilus' or Crataegus (Hawthorn) 'Paul Scarlett'. Each of these durable 'native' trees will also produce a good flowering display, not require any significant maintenance, making them a popular choice for ' tree lined avenue' displays which are not too tall or very full.

Planting a single or mixed group will depend on your own style preference. A mixed scheme can look more informal and natural whereas a single variety can look more formal but elegant. I would prefer the latter for driveways in which the design is clearly defined and with a raised edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JackPerry

How about ornammetal pear treee ( Pyrus Calleriana Chanticleer) lining the avenue?Are these available in Ireland?
    I am thinking of planting these along an avenue with continuous linear planting under and between the trees. Any suggestions for a neat uniform form of shrub, plant or groundover for this situation.I llke the idea of lavender but not sure if lavender can be relied upon for a neat effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

[Quote=
    I am thinking of planting these along an avenue with continuous linear planting under and between the trees. Any suggestions for a neat uniform form of shrub, plant or groundover for this .[/Quote]
    Lonicera nitidea or lonicera pileata. Keep it simple an tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 phragmities

Good advice i agree one thing to note is that trees of the same species often grow better than mixed groups or lines (microrhizal associations) sorbus is an excellent choice for more exposed situations several cultivars available also native forms obtainable if you wanted to be more environmentally friendly and choose trees of native provenance.
    Unless you want a crowded and invasive tree line driveway, stay clear of any multi-stemmed trees especially Himalayan Birches. Unless of course your driveway is > 5.0 - 6.0m wide. Himalayan Birches especially multi-stems are more effective as solo features or clustered. Their height and growth tends to be very broad in comparison to the more common Silver Birch. Multi-stem HBs with their much wider growing crowns often starting much lower down than normal, will easily reach across most driveway widths to quickly create untidy congestion or worse still possible obstructions. Also multi-stems require more space than normal varieties, which must also be considered when planting near edgings/kerbs.

Some more practical options would be Sorbus acuparia 'Autumn Spire', Amelanchier 'Snowy Mespilus' or Crataegus (Hawthorn) 'Paul Scarlett'. Each of these durable 'native' trees will also produce a good flowering display, not require any significant maintenance, making them a popular choice for ' tree lined avenue' displays which are not too tall or very full.

Planting a single or mixed group will depend on your own style preference. A mixed scheme can look more informal and natural whereas a single variety can look more formal but elegant. I would prefer the latter for driveways in which the design is clearly defined and with a raised edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Could you suggest a flowering tree apart from cherry/apple blossom. I have seen a stunning one in an old graveyard in our local village with bright red flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 phragmities

Probably Crataegus (Hawthorn) 'Paul Scarlett' some of the Malus have red flowers, theres also the chilean fire tree Embothrium coccineum, which is fairly spectacular but really only seems to grow in the south west its expensive and difficult to propagate i think it prefers poorer acid soils.
    All the sorbus flower and bear fruit so you have interest at two times of the year and the same goes for the ornamental Malus which can hold onto its fruit long after the leaves have gone.
    Hope this helps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

JackPerry wrote: »
    How about ornammetal pear treee ( Pyrus Calleriana Chanticleer) lining the avenue?Are these available in Ireland?
    I am thinking of planting these along an avenue with continuous linear planting under and between the trees. Any suggestions for a neat uniform form of shrub, plant or groundover for this situation.I llke the idea of lavender but not sure if lavender can be relied upon for a neat effect.

If i had room id plant these, lovely trees. Lavander like the Pear is also silver leaved so i don't think it would look good.

Advertisement