Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Civil Defence sets up first Community Responder Scheme.

Options
  • 02-01-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

CorkCity CivilDefence volunteers set up Blarney St. Community Responder Scheme!

The scheme was set up by co-ordinator Pat Carroll and committee members Finbarr McCarthy and Frederick Lotty and is first Community Responder Scheme set up in the Cork City area.
    All three are very active members of Cork City Civil Defence are Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC) registered EMTs and EFR respectivley.

The other volunteers that make up this team are qualified Community First Responders.

How does it work?
    All emergency calls will come from Ambulance Control through a smart phone system which became active on 19th December 2012. The will respond to medical emergencies within a 5km radias of the Blarney St. area.

The committee would like to thank Kevin O Sullivan and Bernard Flynn of the HSE for their support and also to Veronica Forde (ACDO Cork City Civil Defence) for all her help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

thats great news. The community responder is a great idea. Its a massive commitment from the responders, but its a fantastic asset & a great service to the town.

Best of luck lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Good stuff - how does the smart phone system work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Hi, does this use the RAapp that I believe was being trialled in Wicklow?
    Is it all Civil Defence vols or are there other personnel involved? It would be great to see similar schemes rolled out across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

ectoraige wrote: »
    Hi, does this use the RAapp that I believe was being trialled in Wicklow?
    Is it all Civil Defence vols or are there other personnel involved? It would be great to see similar schemes rolled out across the country.

To the best of my knowledge it does not use the app. A phone call is made from control to the on duty personnel.

The scheme is not run by Cork City Civil Defence. The three founding members of the scheme are Cork City CD volunteers, ergo the link to Cork City CD and why Cork City CD helped in any way it could in setting up the scheme.

I believe there are 10-12 volunteers, three of which are from Civil Defence, the rest are other members of the locality..

Advertisement