Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Thai Basil in Dublin?

Options
  • 02-01-2013 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Have tried the

asian shop on Drury st
    the one near middle abbey st
    the one on main st rathmines (by tramco)
    the emporium in Rathcoole/Newcastle
    Some of the asian stores on Moore St

No joy in any of them. Anyone know anywhere that sells it?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I find it's very hard to get in Dublin. I have tried all of the places you mentioned and only once had success....that was in the oriental emporium in Abbey St. The guy in Rathmines told me before Xmas that he was expecting some in early in the new year but I've not been back to check. I get it from London when the brother comes home....and freeze portions of it in ice-cube trays which works well. I'll let you know if I get lucky here. Also next time the bro is coming home I'll PM you if you want a bunch or two of the stuff. A thai curry without thai sweet basil just doesn't taste right!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mr_plow

Great, I'll take you up on the offer Gebbel! They used to have it reasonably regularly in abbey st up til about a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've gotten it before in Drury Street - but I presume that stock can vary

• Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

They usually have it in drury st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Would you try growing your own. It supposed to be easy enough to grow indoors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

foodaholic wrote: »
    Would you try growing your own. It supposed to be easy enough to grow indoors

It requires a few hours of sunlight every day and won't thrive without it. That rules out our climate without artificial lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I saw a garden program in the uk and they grew it without any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Thud

i grew it last year on a window sill (inside), grows as easily as ordinary basil, got a multiseed pack with different types of basil in it in woodies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

I got some frozen from the Asian shop in Blackrock Market. Was a while ago so no idea if they are still stocking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

They had some yesterday in the Asian shop in Rathmines, the one across from the Rathmines Inn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement