Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Log

Options
  • 02-01-2013 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Thought I'd give this a go as I enjoy reading other logs and it being a new year and all.

First book of the year:
    A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess.
    Can't believe it's taken so long to read this one. Loved it.

a_clockwork_orange.large.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Hi,

Can I just ask, as you are only starting your log, could you say a little more about the books? I ask because I am interested in what people think of the book they read, and lots of logs here simply list the books read, without any comment or explanation or opinion. Not sure i can see the point of that. What did you love about Clockwork Orange? Would you recommend it? Was there anything you didn't like....etc

Welcome to the log-world. More detail, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Finally got some time to read again between studying for exams.
    Next up is something which I don't read very often, an autobiography.

David Mitchell - Back Story

david-mitchell-backstory.jpg

Of course, it was very funny, for a fan of his at least. He may not have had the most remarkable life; middle class upbringing, average private school, Cambridge, but there was never a dull moment. It's structured as a walk through London, with various anecdotes - told in his typical style - being inspired from the places his sees on the walk.

4/5

fisgon wrote: »
    Hi,

Can I just ask, as you are only starting your log, could you say a little more about the books? I ask because I am interested in what people think of the book they read, and lots of logs here simply list the books read, without any comment or explanation or opinion. Not sure i can see the point of that. What did you love about Clockwork Orange? Would you recommend it? Was there anything you didn't like....etc

Welcome to the log-world. More detail, please.

I guess I can give that a go!

Well, for A Clockwork Orange, as a big fan of the movie, I should have read this a long time ago. My favorite thing, aside from the story, was the language used; of course, I knew to expect this from the film, but there was so much more "nadsat" in the book, and as my edition didn't have a reference in the back, it was enjoyable trying to work out the words at times.
    Not a book for the faint hearted, if you've seen the film, you'll know what I mean, the book goes even further.

5/5

Agent 6 - Tom Rob Smith

qJLt7i0.jpg

I've been meaning to read the final book in this trilogy for a few months now. I'm glad I did. It's by no means a great book, standard thriller, and I preferred the first two to this final installment. It felt a bit all over the place, taking place in the US and Afghanistan primarily rather than soviet-era Russia as per the previous two, something that made them rather enjoyable. All in all, an alright thriller and a somewhat fitting end to the trilogy.

3/5

Arthur Conan Doyle - A Study in Scarlet

eudTLgf.jpg

Yet another book I've been meaning to read for a while, thanks in no small part to the excellent BBC series at the moment. I decided to start from the beginning, and I'll certainly be continuing. This book provided a nice introduction to the character. I couldn't help however finding the background story of the killer dragged on a bit and was nowhere near as interesting as the main story.

4/5

• Advertisement

Arthur Conan Doyle - The Sign of the Four

WIm7Wgv.jpg

Enjoyed this one very much. The case perhaps wasn't quite as interesting as the first book. But the back story of the murderer didn't drag on as much and was quite good. Holmes's
    Cocaine addiction
    is quite interesting and I look forward to seeing the direction that takes.

F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby
    200px-Gatsby_1925_jacket.gif
    Another I've been meaning to get around to. I enjoyed this one, although perhaps not as much as I'd expected to. Very readable.

4/5

Advertisement