Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nappy leaks

Options
  • 02-01-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hi. any tips re nappies leaks? i've tried pampers huggies and boots all newborn size 1 as he is a weee scut! all of them leak huggues the worst pampers the least... any tips for getting the yellow stains out? soaked them in cold water then washed in whites cycle but stains remained... any product i should get or is it just elbow grease and a scrubbing brush? I will never get the time for that!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's all trial and error I'm afraid, they're all different shapes and sizes (the babbies and the nappies).If you've tried all the brands perhaps try tying them higher up, tighter, looser, etc?

I reckon from seeing posts here we were pretty lucky with our first, we only had a few, uh, explosive situations and not a huge amount of mess aside from those. No. 2 on the way though, we might pay yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

To get stains out we would soak the clothes in a Milton solution (Milton tablets) overnight and then put it in the wash as normal. Most of the time it worked.

As for the leakage - we tried a couple of brands but just resigned ourselves to having to deal with leakages. I don't think I've ever spoken to a parent who hasn't had to deal with leakages - including the whole "shooting up the back" thing. Our worst leakage was when we actually had to cut her out of her vest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

scrgirl wrote: »
    Hi. any tips re nappies leaks? i've tried pampers huggies and boots all newborn size 1 as he is a weee scut! all of them leak huggues the worst pampers the least... any tips for getting the yellow stains out? soaked them in cold water then washed in whites cycle but stains remained... any product i should get or is it just elbow grease and a scrubbing brush? I will never get the time for that!!

Ive had a few leak problems also (not when in size one) but when she got older and started sleeping so long at night and wiggling around. (in size 3) Like you i tried all types of nappies with no joy. I was recommended to go up a size for night time but it was too big so i went and bought a reusable nappy , no liners or padding just the outer waterproof part and i put it on over her pampers at night and havent had a leak since. Have had to put the reusable nappy in the wash a few times and bought some on ebay since to try out (havent recieved them yet).
    Re the stains i found problems with stains from food and used vanish oxi action sensitive powder and washed them again after that worked on some food stains but not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yup, try a different type or size. Some babies match some nappy shapes better. also, different ranges in different brands. We found pampers baby dry didn't suit as well as active fit. When we got leaks we moved up to the next size. We never used the size 1 nappies. Our 3.3kg baby started with size 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, found huggies really bad for leakage here too.

Pampers are good but we've found boots and tesco own brand to be just as good but much cheaper.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I used Lidl nappies and still do. Size 2 first now he is in size 3. Huggies leaked a bit, so did Pampers. Lidl do too, but much less than the others I found.

For cleaning post-explosion, try Napisan (you can get it in Tesco - blue box, baby aisle) I rinse the worst of it out then steep for a day in a basin with Napisan. I've also used it on men's shirts that were getting discoloured underarm and they came up perfect. Bright or Dark colours might fade a tad - orange, black etc, but I've steeped pastels and whites and they have been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Same as Neyite, we use Lidl (not sure they do a size 1 though). Find them to be the best nappy. Also use Napisan to get out any stains, not that we have leaks very often anymore, but still good for food stains etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Another vote here for the Lidl nappies, never had a leak with them. They don't do a size 1 but size 2 would be fine for the average newborn unless they were really teeny!

I also find Tesco own brand good & great value :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

We also use lidl and find them great but again not sure if the have size 1 I used tesco size 1and 2 and found them great. Are you using any bum cream? Sometimes this causes and barrier and makes the nappy less absorbent, there's no need to use cream unless your lo has a red bum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Aldi's nappies have a small newborn size for the small ones, I'm a recent convert to them from Pampers and love them. As for the poop explosions, they all get those at some point and I have never met any parent who doesn't have a horror story about poop up their back regardless of what brand of nappies they use :)

Only today I was sorting washing and spotted a vest and sleepsuit with that telltale yellow around the legs and back, so I'll be trying a few of the stain tips too, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Used Tesco Newborn and now Tesco Super Dry (green pack) and have never had a leakage on my third. Lots of leakages on the second but she was on comfort formula and they're known to cause horrible horrific nappies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm using Pampers at the moment. For smaller babies Aldi newborn are great but the no. 3 were complete disaster. As for stains I throw stuff in the washing machine and add one of the Persil non bio capsules and that is it. I have no problem removing nappy stains at 40 degrees and either normal or stains program. I would check settings on the washing machine and the type of detergent (i find liquid better) you use and also check how hard is your water. I still didn't discover what removes orange tomato sauce stains out of clothes though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

Had the same problem with our first son. found lidl nappies great! Also for the poo stains on vests....the best thing to use is fairy washing up liquid (the green one for dishes). Works a treat! I then use Milton sometimes. But its the only thing that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Another vote here for the LIDL nappies. Still get the odd leak but we've either been lucky or the LIDL nappies are a decent nappy.
    We had tried a few brands before that and didnt find them great tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

For stains I just soak the the clothes in hot water with a capful of vanish and some detergent for 20 minutes, then put them in a normal wash. This has gotten rid of all types of baby stains for me.

I use Pampers baby dry and haven't had any major leaks. Just the odd one if she was squirmier than usual :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I know its another thing entirely but I have never had a single leak with reusable cloth nappies, I cant recommend them enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

Funny how different nappies suit, I found pampers leaked like mad with herself but huggies were great,were some friends swear by pampers, but she's in 4+ now-were getting more leaks. I found lidl & aldi nappies were very good-very similiar in design to huggies if not a bit better at containing the situation, but they don't do the in between 4+ so not using at the mo :)
    Napisan as previous posters mentioned FTW. Mam still uses it as a general stain remover in the wash too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skit490

Funny how different nappies suit, I found pampers leaked like mad with herself but huggies were great,were some friends swear by pampers, but she's in 4+ now-were getting more leaks. I found lidl & aldi nappies were very good-very similiar in design to huggies if not a bit better at containing the situation, but they don't do the in between 4+ so not using at the mo :)
    Napisan as previous posters mentioned FTW. Mam still uses it as a general stain remover in the wash too.

Having bit of problem wit nappy leaks with my Lo too. Straight up back everytime. Tried goin up size n diff nappies to no avail. Wondering am I even tying nappy properly !

• Registered Users Posts: 42 smg2013

I use sensitive vanish granuales in wash. And slightly bigger nappies! But even still I'm tortured with explosive nappies! It will pass with time. That's how I console myself anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement