Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband/internet options city centre

• 02-01-2013 8:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Looking for a good internet option for a new house in the city centre but without signing up to Eircom
    The Three mobile is aint great and works out dear

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

UPC?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is that a landline and also a tv contract?

Thanks dont need t.v or phone tho just internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Broadband only deals and plan comparisons via this site.
    http://www.callcosts.ie/broadband/Broadband_Calculator.175.LE.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭brianhickey

UPC all the way, if you can get it. It is a little pricy if you look at the bare numbers, but it is in a different league to all other providers. 50MB is their lowest download speed, whereas with landline broadband (DSL) you will be very lucky to get anything above 8MB. Higher data caps too, a friend of mine downloaded over a terabyte in one month and only got a "ah now lads" letter, most other providers will charge you for any overage.

Theres a UPC box thing on the wall in the new house where the tv would be with 2 connections from it
    would that help?

Sounds like its already UPC wired up,

So landline (DSL) is slow?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

bigpink wrote: »
    So landline (DSL) is slow?!

DSL is not slow no, but in relative terms it is. UPC can be about 15 times faster for the same money.

• Advertisement

Whats UPC using if not landline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Hope this helps. http://www.simplifydigital.co.uk/features/what-is-fibre-optic-broadband/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

High speed fibre optic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

It jacks into the UPC line which is in your house which is a much more dense cable then a phone line which runs on the eurodocsis 3 platform delivering much more bandwidth then a phone line ever could.

As for saying it's fiber, it's not really. It's still copper too the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

UPC all the way, if you can get it. It is a little pricy if you look at the bare numbers, but it is in a different league to all other providers. 50MB is their lowest download speed, whereas with landline broadband (DSL) you will be very lucky to get anything above 8MB. Higher data caps too, a friend of mine downloaded over a terabyte in one month and only got a "ah now lads" letter, most other providers will charge you for any overage.

Agreed, we've got UPC and it's very fast and, most importantly, very reliable - it never goes down.

Louche Lad wrote: »
    it never goes down.

Had a Girlfriend like that once :o

How bout WiMAX or Imgaine?
    All the compare sites just seem to have UPC vodafone o2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

both crap, stay clear from both. honestly, if you can get UPC - just get it.

25 would be my budget per month,could push to 30 if it was a good deal

that's a bummer :( not really sure if you can get anything apart from mobile broadband at that price

edit: and maybe smart which was also great for me few years back

• Advertisement

Bought that three miFi hotspot thing buts its poor,would i be able to bring it back have it bout 6 weeks

Thing is, mobile broadband won't work well in a heavily congested areas such as cities. I used to have Three when I lived in Sixmilebridge and it was grand for everything including online gaming (RPGs, not FPSs) and noticed a great speed decrease every time I was using it in Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

plus one for UPC.
    Get it.
    Sky will be unveiling a product similar to UPC later on in the year, perhaps it will be a bit more attractive in an effort to poach customers from UPC etc.; however I recommend UPC for the city centre.

Maybe it's the best but it's almost twice as expensive as OPs budget. At this price only Smart Telecom offers a good deal.

plus one for UPC.
    Get it.
    Sky will be unveiling a product similar to UPC later on in the year, perhaps it will be a bit more attractive in an effort to poach customers from UPC etc.; however I recommend UPC for the city centre.

Agree with you insofar as if you can get UPC go with it, it really is a great service.
    Disagree you with you in your comparison of Sky and UPC.
    Sky's offering is not at all similar to UPC.
    The only similarity is that both companies also offer TV services.

UPC is based on a hybrid Cable/Fibre product that currently offers maximum speeds of 150mbps and is in general not limited by distance from cabinet/exchange allowing those speeds to be achieved consistently, most packs have no Download limit and in future will be capable of offering 1gbps service.
    Sky's product is an ADSL/ADSL 2 offering based on BT's FTTC cabinet infrastructure with a maximum speed of 24mbps but 1 that in reality will be hard pressed to ever beat 12mbps.(Without significant infrastructure upgrades of the type that Eircom won't carry out due to cost and bankruptcy concerns)

What Sky do have is an exceptionally good value service compared to any other DSL providers.
    Sky offer an unlimited DSL with a phone package too for 27.50 and have packages starting at 17.50.
    Pricewise they are in and around the best value available in Ireland at the moment and when the service goes fully live I'd expect standard DSL providers to be hard pressed to compete on price.
    Plenty of threads on sky BB here on boards http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056821200
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056818913

OP, if you want a true BB service in the city avoid all the 3G services as they are limited, while the headline speed maybe 7.6mbps this speed is in general divided across multiple users so the more people using that particular mast the less speed available.
    But at your pricepoint Smart, Sky and maybe Magnet are your best options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Hi Banie,
    Good info there, thanks. I didn`t know the SKY service was up and running
    I wasn`t comparing anything though, I merely speculated about the attractiveness of the package from SKY.

Advertisement