Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

choosing what to study

Options
  • 02-01-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am 34 yrs old and I would like to return to education but I still have not got a clue what I would like to work at for the rest of my life, so I am finding it very hard to choose a course.
    The things I have ruled out completely are IT (as I have a previous qualification in this, which I never actually used) and biology / physics / chemistry, as I hated anything to do with these topics in school.

I feel like I am the only person my age who is clueless about what I would like to do..:o

When you chose your course, did you know 100% that the course you chose was the one for you?
    Do you have any tips on how I can narrow down my choice? Are there any free tests etc. that I can take which will give me an idea of what would suit me?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Am delighted to see your post,I am 42 & am in the same boat,have had a few long term jobs over the years,but dont want to stay in the same industry as I am in currently,so will be following this post with interest to see what people come up with !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Go to an adult education adviser in your local VEC

Theres also quite a good advice paper here

http://www.aontas.com/download/pdf/info_booklet_web_version.pdf

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Electronic Engineering!! Your IT degree relates in some way, and it gives you more of an insight into the systems you use everyday

Advertisement