Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu for phones

Options
  • 02-01-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

20 minute long video, only 15 of which I've watched so far, but this looks like a very cool alternative to android. I'm hoping it can dock and become a full on Linux PC. If that were the case I would dump android in a heartbeat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Khannie wrote: »
    20 minute long video, only 15 of which I've watched so far, but this looks like a very cool alternative to android. I'm hoping it can dock and become a full on Linux PC. If that were the case I would dump android in a heartbeat.

I think that's the plan, are they working on two versions the full Ubuntu phone just announced today and Ubuntu for Android they announced last year?
    http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android
    http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

I'd also consider changing from Android

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, I thought that initially, but there was no mention of the desktop so I'm just hoping. I guess that's not the aim of the video (to advertise it to already eager Ubuntu users), but instead to get others interested in it. He did mention using the linux kernel and native apps (tasty little performance bump), so it should be handy enough for them to achieve that.

The swipe from the right idea for app switching is absolutely brilliant. I find app switching on android to be painful tbh. It's just as fast for me to go to the home screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Yeah, I thought that initially, but there was no mention of the desktop so I'm just hoping. I guess that's not the aim of the video (to advertise it to already eager Ubuntu users), but instead to get others interested in it. He did mention using the linux kernel and native apps (tasty little performance bump), so it should be handy enough for them to achieve that.

The swipe from the right idea for app switching is absolutely brilliant. I find app switching on android to be painful tbh. It's just as fast for me to go to the home screen.

It is mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Stumbled across some nice mainstream media coverage, courtesy of the BBC. Currently half way up the most read item chart today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20891868

Is this distinct\different from the developer images floating around for the Nexus 7, on the Ubuntu site, or part of the same work?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation

I can't wait till things are more polished, along with, hopefully, favourites of mine, like Mint, tagging along..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/01/c...t-make-inroads

CNN don't think its worth the bother
    The CNN article by Adrian Covert can be seen here

one interesting thing is that this ubuntu smartphone will use all of the screen and this is great. However, Why dont android and iOS? The first thing that comes to mind is adverts. On the bottom of the screen and top of iphones there are ads. Where will be the ads in the Ubuntu smartphone.

NO ad's? How do the developers make their money? - charge for the app?
    Then we run into a bigger problem. will all apps will have to be paid for.

Its great that ubuntu is open source and this is all great but the people who make the apps aren’t. If angry bird ( just because its a free popular app) wants to go on this new ubuntu phone, then they have 3 choices - give it away for free and make no money , charge for it, dont bother

right , lets say you got to fork out the 99c or whatever it is for angry birds , boo hoo its a euro , we have 1 more problem - why would i get an ubuntu smartphone ? sure all the apps cost money!

One final comment why is the circle thing to see all apps at the bottom of the phone launcher , that’s just confusing

• Advertisement

bpb101 wrote: »
    One final comment why is the circle thing to see all apps at the bottom of the phone launcher , that’s just confusing

I presume its at the bottom rather than the top, as it is on Ubuntu, because your thumb can reach there easily.

shizz wrote: »
    I presume its at the bottom rather than the top, as it is on Ubuntu, because your thumb can reach there easily.
    i would change that if i could , maybe we can, if it actual comes out

i would change that if i could , maybe we can, if it actual comes out

To the top? Why? I'd imagine you would be holding it with one hand most of the time. You'd have to stretch much further for that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I just watched that video and wow that looks exciting! Can't wait until this comes out. If you have a nexus 7 you can get it soon but what about the other Android phones? I'd love to try it on my HTC One X.

Zascar wrote: »
    I just watched that video and wow that looks exciting! Can't wait until this comes out. If you have a nexus 7 you can get it soon but what about the other Android phones? I'd love to try it on my HTC One X.

Nexus 4? The Nexus 7 is a tablet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sorry yes - the phone not the tablet ;)

Zascar wrote: »
    The Nexus 7 installer installes a desktop enviroment. not a phone enviroment.
    Have a look at this video if you want ubuntu on your phone,

Also , first review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

I wonder when we'll see beta / early adopters / whatever you want to call it. GIVE IT TO ME NOW!

Dammit I want it too, getting tired of Android, need something new

Have a friend with a nexus 4. Going to try and convince him to install this.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

ubuntu for phones will only run on quad core phones. it was tried on dual core phones but it had to be scrapped because the phones would take far too long to load anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Dammit I want it too, getting tired of Android, need something new

android is basically linux based. so you wont see a huge difference tbh.

• Advertisement

android is basically linux based. so you wont see a huge difference tbh.

I think you're wrong tbh, although both are linux based, Ubuntu and Android couldn't be further apart.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/why-mark-shuttleworth-thinks-ubuntu-on-phones-will-outclass-android/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

If its running on the Nexus 4 then you can bet someone will port it over to the S3 :D

KTRIC wrote: »
    If its running on the Nexus 4 then you can bet someone will port it over to the S3 :D

That's exactly what the Ubuntu team are hoping for. Shouldn't take long either, Samsung hardware is open source and they also open sourced the S3 software so all the tools are available to make it work.

Have a friend with a nexus 4. Going to try and convince him to install this.

Effortlessly convinced. I'll report back what its like on launch day.

Interesting. Interesting indeed.

What could that be, Shuttleworth said they were concentrating on phones for now and Android tablets later. I reckon it's a version for M$ Surface tablets

for these things i always have a stab in the dark and i am going to say it a tablet pre installed with ubuntu.

second guess, they are going to show us what the phone that is going to be brought out in october will be.

going with the tablet thou.

i had a look at the page source code and there nothing behind it, ie, when that clock hits zero , like the ubuntu phone countdown , nothing happens. There will have to be somebody on ubuntu side to change the web page, manually.

The Phone sdk will be out the 21st so it aint that btw

• Advertisement

Advertisement