Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going it alone

Options
  • 02-01-2013 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32 ohiknow

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice/support. I have tried to lose weight a number of times over the last few years and have attempted to use different programme and tools. I have been in weight watchers and never really kept it up though I did have some success.

I have decided to try to do it myself. I know what I should be doing and what I should be eating, I just need to put it into practice. I'm hoping that these aren't famous last words and that I will have success this time, I am feeling very motivated. Just wondering if anyone else has done the same or is planning on doing the same. There might be some potential for some group support!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I use myfitnesspal and its great. Good luck.

There is a general support thread here general weight loss support. It's for people going it alone and it can be done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ohiknow

Hi, that's great, thanks for pointing that out!

Read this too for what you 'should' be eating and avoiding..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055157091

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

If you're really motivated, you can definitely reach your target weight alone. I'm of the opinion that the money you save on the likes of WW etc, can be put towards treats like smaller clothes during the year...

You need to be really disciplined about your nutrition.... planning is seriously important. Make packed lunches for work or if you're going to be on the go, it's cheaper and far easier to keep track of what you're taking in.

Eggs are incredible, and cheap too. You need eggs on your shopping list every week...omelettes, scrambled, poached... best breakfast ever! Speaking of shopping lists... you need one! Plan your week, decide what you're going to cook and only buy what you need. Portion control is far easier if you have a plan in place.

Buy a digital weighing scales...weigh everything! You're probably underestimating the size of what you're eating. Eventually you'll be able to eyeball most things, but a weighing scales is definitely going to be your friend.

Educate yourself, there are great resources on boards.ie and elsewhere on the internet to really properly educate yourself about what you're eating. Low fat alternatives like low fat yogurts etc are full of sugar... don't be fooled into thinking you're eating healthily. If you're putting the effort in to make a change, then give it 100%.

Simple rule... avoid anything pre-packed in brightly coloured wrapping, fresh food is the way to go.

Take it one day at a time...each day you eat better, and move more, you're closer to your goal. Eventually you'll see progress, and it will give you even more motivation.

Track your progress. Create a food and exercise diary... it will be useful to look back over and see what works for you. It doesn't have to be anything fancy... use notes on your phone, or just a notepad and pen.. but definitely keep track.. this will help with the motivation as you see your progress in black and white.

One final thing... take your measurements... I didn't when I started to lose weight, and I'm raging I didn't...I'd love to know how many inches I lost...

Best of luck... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ohiknow

that's great advice, thanks for that. I'm thinking of using photos as a motivator too so I have a visual guide as I go along. God knows there are plenty of photos of myself out there that I am not happy with! I think preparation and planning is key and as you said keeping a record will make progress clearer.

thanks for all of that! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement