Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boarding Kennels

• 02-01-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, a bit of a long one, but would just like some opinions.
    We have 2 large dogs, one male we had since he was a pup (about 18 months old now) and a female we adopted about 4 months ago (about 20 months old now).
    We went abroad for the Christmas holidays for 10 days and unfortunately the lady where they usually go for home boarding couldn't take them as she was fully booked already. Great place, they love going there as they live in with the family who has dogs themselves, it's like a holiday for them. So we had to look for alternative arrangements, and friends of ours offered to take them. We were a bit reluctant as they're pretty lively dogs and a bit mad at times, but we went along with it away. Unfortunately, 4 days before we had to go, we learned from our friends they couldn't take care of them due to personal circumstances.
    So, we then started ringing up boarding kennels in the area, but of course all of them were full. Eventually we found a boarding kennel who still had a space for them. Because it was all such short notice, we didn't have time to visit the place beforehand. This place does boarding kennels, but is also a breeder. The place has no website with pictures or anything, and only found 2 reviews online (one positive and one negative).
    So, on the day we were leaving, my partner left off the dogs at the place, and told me the place was ok, but not great (didn't want to worry me). He was never asked for any information about them, i.e. general vaccinations, kennel cough, neutering, etc.
    Anyway, we came back from holidays and picked them up. When we got to the place, I was pretty shocked. There were small dogs running around all over the place. We went into an open barn/shed, where there was small dogs in small pens all over the place. We then went to the back to a seperate area in the barn, which was closed off by a wall. So, behind the wall, there were about 6-8 seperate pens where they obviously keep the dogs they're boarding. The place was dark, smelly and the noise of all the
    dogs was horrible. We then saw our dogs together in a small pen, completely stressed out. It was the saddest place I have seen in a long time.
    The female dog had lost a good bit of weight again (we have had problems getting weight on her and she's on a special diet from the vet, but we were finally getting her sorted, but we're back to zero again now). Our male dog had also lost weight and has been throwing up for 2 days after we came home.
    Also, when we first arrived at the place to pick up our dogs, the first thing the owner told us we have '2 spoiled dogs'.
    Now my questions are:
    - This is the first time we ever used kennels, so are we expecting too much from a kennel if we expect them to have some outdoor space for the dogs? We don't believe they have seen the daylight in the 10 days they were there. We didn't even ask if they had been walked as we were too shocked to see the place they had been living in, and I don't believe we would've been told the truth anyway.
    - What made the owner say our dogs are spoiled? We would be the first ones to agree our dogs probably are spoiled, but that is our choice. I just don't understand how she would know our dogs are spoiled when they are kept in a small pen at the back of a shed. Maybe they cried all day as they are used to human contact and love nothing more than cuddling up in front of the fire?
    - Are there any regulations for Irish kennels? Are there certain standards and are these places checked by any authorities? We're both not Irish, so we're not sure how this works.
    - Can we make any complaints anywhere or should we just chalk it up to experience and never go near the place again?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Maybe people more expert will answer you better...
    Just to tell you that I am sorry for you experience.. terrible..
    I have no idea about regulations and so on.. but I can share my experience..

I've been volounteering here in Ireland for a pet boarding and I was walking the dogs outside 3-4 times a day!
    They had also a moment during the day where the dogs were playing together if the owner wanted and the photos posted on a group on facebook.

In italy I was bringing my dog to a boarding and he was happy to go there and we are sure they were going for long walks every day.

But it's not easy to find good places..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Commercial kennels require a licence from their county council, and are subject to inspections by the council. They should also have planning permission to run this type of business on their property. In addition to all of this, they should also have a general dog licence for all those small dogs you saw, assuming they belong to them.
    I have to say OP, I know you were stuck etc etc, but my word, if I brought my dogs to a place uninspected and was not happy with what I saw when I got there, I'd cancel my holiday and bring my dogs home. Under no circumstances would I leave my dogs with anyone unless I was 100% sure they were going to be properly cared for. I feel really sorry for what happened to your dogs, you should not have left them there. And your money has just gone to fund more of the same: you've just paid someone to neglect your dogs and to insult the way you care for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Were the small dogs in the small pens in the dark smelly shed for breeding? Were they neglected looking? If so maybe you could get him for that and report him to the ISPCA - sounds like it could be a bit of a puppy farm.

maggiepip wrote: »
    Were the small dogs in the small pens in the dark smelly shed for breeding? Were they neglected looking? If so maybe you could get him for that and report him to the ISPCA - sounds like it could be a bit of a puppy farm.

Indeed, if 6 or more of the little dogs in the place were bitches capable of breeding, the premises must be registered and licensed under the Dog Breeding Establishment legislation, as well as the above documentation I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jatie

Thanks for your replies.

@DBB: I fully agree with your comments and we won't make the same mistake again. It was naive of us to leave them there, but we didn't expect this and were foolishly hoping for the best.

We're also not sure whether this is a puppy farm or not, as we were more concerned about getting out of the place with our dogs than having a good look around.
    They are both happy and healthy again, but next time there will be no holiday until we're sure they will be well cared for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

DBB wrote: »
    Commercial kennels require a licence from their county council, and are subject to inspections by the council. They should also have planning permission to run this type of business on their property. In addition to all of this, they should also have a general dog licence for all those small dogs you saw, assuming they belong to them.
    I have to say OP, I know you were stuck etc etc, but my word, if I brought my dogs to a place uninspected and was not happy with what I saw when I got there, I'd cancel my holiday and bring my dogs home. Under no circumstances would I leave my dogs with anyone unless I was 100% sure they were going to be properly cared for. I feel really sorry for what happened to your dogs, you should not have left them there. And your money has just gone to fund more of the same: you've just paid someone to neglect your dogs and to insult the way you care for them.

When did that come into law? It must be very recent, I know the IBKCA were trying to get standards, but I didn't think there was anything legal yet? Obviously if kennels have more than 6 unspayed bitches, then they need to register as a breeding establishment, but apart from that, most just get a general licence, and even then I don't think they have to, as all guests should have their own licence anyway, its always been a grey area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Op I'd be furious. I too have spoiled house dogs. They went to kennels once while I was on holiday. I texted and phoned for a progress report and didn't get a reply for 2 DAYS!!

Never again, I had a bad feeling at the time and should have listened to it. They were filthy, traumatised and exhausted on collection. I didn't go anywhere for two years!

I now use a dogsitter, expensive but worth every penny.

Wonder would the local council or ISPCA be interested in your bad experience?

ISDW, you're right, there doesn't seem to be a national system in place for kennels licensing, but there are certainly local systems. The kennels I use has to have a yearly council inspection to retain a license, but then again, this is a more progressive area than most in Ireland when it comes to dog control.
    My reference to the general dog licence for commercial kennels specifically refers to the OP's situation, where reference was made to a number of small dogs running about and on the premises, and on the stated assumption that these small dogs belong to the owners in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Sounds like hell OP. You're right, that is NOT what to expect from a good kennels. Sounds like a puppy farm who takes in boarders for supplementary income or worst case to use boarding males as studs if the breeds match their bitches.

I wouldn't be at all happy with my dogs being left in a dark shed that from your post sounds a bit isolated. When I use kennels they are right beside the main office, with heating and a radio going 24/7. The dogs are exercised with plenty of outdoor space. That's when I use kennels, which is rarely as my neighbour dog sits for us the rare times we get away.

And the cheek of him to tell you that your dogs are spoiled. Sounds like he treated them like cattle. Dogs are social animals that need human interaction, sounds like they got none whatsoever. Are they members of the IBKCA? If so report them. If (more likely) not report them to the local SPCA. It sounds like a puppy farm, even though you weren't 100% sure and just wanted to get out of there, the small amount you did see sounds bad enough to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

I can't help thinking about the poor dogs and how miserable they must have been. Poor little mites. I don't have a dog, because I wouldn't be able to give it the attention it needed, but I grew up with lots of dogs and I know how much they get attached to their owners. My sis and her hubbie have a little puggle. He goes to a local kennel here when they go away. He loves it, it's like a home away from home for him. But they went away for 2 weeks this year (on their honeymoon) and after 10 days, they both wanted to come home because they missed him.

I went out and collected him that morning so he'd be there when they came home. He was delighted when I drove into their estate.

Back on point! I wouldn't let them away like that. Report your suspicions and save someone else going through this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭no1girliegirl

You should alwdays visit any kennel before booking, that place doesn't sound like any of the kennels I know. It does sound like a puppy farm and you should contact your local SPCA and tell them you are concerned about the conditions the dogs are being kept in.

Ask your vet if they know any or go on word of mouth but definitely visit and make sure you are happy first. Here are a few I've heard are good from different people Dspca, canine country club, Doonane and I have heard lots of great things from lots of different people about Best kennels.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement