Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI grant and grad diploma in education - confusion over level 8/9

Options
  • 02-01-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I hope someone can offer me advice on a problem I'm having with SUSI. I have been doing to PDE (HDip) in UCD since September and was refused a grant by SUSI a month ago as they stated the PDE is a level 9 course and I wasn't "progressing" in my education. I appealed this decision as my previous postgrad in IT/Business (in 2000) was a level 8 course. I just got a second refusal letter from SUSI saying that although my previous postgrad was a level 8, it was still a postgrad dip and as such I'm not progressing.

I'm very frustrated by this as I've been waiting so long for SUSI to reach a decision and if I'm moving from a level 8 to a level 9 course, surely this is progression. I know that the PDE has officially been changed to a level 8, however it appears that from a grant perspective it is still viewed as level 9 -anyway you can't do the course without a degree and an honours degree is a level 8. Also, it's been over 5 years since I did my postgrad and I thought there was an exemption for previous education completed more than 5 years ago. I find it impossible to get any decent information over the phone from SUSI and am unsure as to what to do now. Please help! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not sure but maybe just keep appealing

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9520/forms/index.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement