Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Horse/Pony- Bits

Options
  • 02-01-2013 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hey Guys

Ive a 14.2 cob who gets very excited and strong when hunting or at hunter trials, he hunted this season with a dutch gag on the bottom ring, and i could just hold him, i would like to get a bit more controal of him as im hopeing to do cross country but but i dont want to tie him down someone said i should use roundings with the dutch gag as it will give me a better hold allong with a grackle noseband another sait a pelam and the roundings also with the grackle, is he iis only being strong with excitment and not bad ness i want the less sevre one...Thanks :D - Sorry for bad spelling and grammer-

So basicly do you think
    Dutch Gag wt roundiings and the grackle
    Pehlam wt roundiings and grackle
    Or have you a better oppinion

- Sorry for bad spelling and grammer-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Odelay

Hey Guys

Ive a 14.2 cob who gets very excited and strong when hunting or at hunter trials, he hunted this season with a dutch gag on the bottom ring, and i could just hold him, i would like to get a bit more controal of him as im hopeing to do cross country but but i dont want to tie him down someone said i should use roundings as it will give me a better hold allong with a grackle noseband another sait a pelam and the roundings also with the grackle, is he iis only being strong with excitment and not bad ness i want the less sevre one...Thanks :D - Sorry for bad spelling and grammer-

Do you use a flash nose band with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Hey Guys

Ive a 14.2 cob who gets very excited and strong when hunting or at hunter trials, he hunted this season with a dutch gag on the bottom ring, and i could just hold him, i would like to get a bit more controal of him as im hopeing to do cross country but but i dont want to tie him down someone said i should use roundings with the dutch gag as it will give me a better hold allong with a grackle noseband another sait a pelam and the roundings also with the grackle, is he iis only being strong with excitment and not bad ness i want the less sevre one...Thanks :D - Sorry for bad spelling and grammer-

So basicly do you think
    Dutch Gag wt roundiings and the grackle
    Pehlam wt roundiings and grackle
    Or have you a better oppinion

- Sorry for bad spelling and grammer-

Does he put his head down to tank off? Or open his mouth? Or anything like that? A lot depends on his mouth and how he evades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭XxAshlingxX

yeah he has a flash, he no he just pullswe had teeth and back and all checked but he seams to pull with excitment, normally hes in a simple snaffle ifs just xc and hunting he gets full of him self ..

yeah he has a flash, he no he just pullswe had teeth and back and all checked but he seams to pull with excitment, normally hes in a simple snaffle ifs just xc and hunting he gets full of him self ..

What do you feed him?

Hes 100% well behaved when not doing exciting work, like as soon as hes finished a round hes his normal lazy self, he lives out so just the grass and some hay as hes a very good doer and is a good weight.

• Advertisement

well its trial and error really. My chap is really quiet at home but very buzzy out hunting. He evades by getting his head down and tanking off with me so I ride him in a Cheltenham gag which appears to do the trick. He's not really a puller generally so I can ride quite lightly and that works when its necessary.

A grakle might be worth a try with the gag initially. You won't be able to use one with a Pelham or kimblewick because of the curb strap. other things worth a go if you can borrow to try are the kineton noseband or a Waterford mouthpiece on a bit. Id try just one new thing at a time til you get it right.

Yeah will just have to keep trying had him out jumping ditches today and he was all excited and being strong , so went to the sand school to do some sj jumps and he turned into a plod again,think he just loves the buzz of being out side and the open space :P

Yeah will just have to keep trying had him out jumping ditches today and he was all excited and being strong , so went to the sand school to do some sj jumps and he turned into a plod again,think he just loves the buzz of being out side and the open space :P

Does he have a stable mate or someone that he spends time in the field with and how often? Mine is on his own a lot and gets very excited in the company of other horses, understandable really.

Sean.

Odelay wrote: »
    Does he have a stable mate or someone that he spends time in the field with and how often? Mine is on his own a lot and gets very excited in the company of other horses, understandable really.

Sean.

He lives out 24/7 only comes in if its very bad weather, there is a group of them in the field together all of the time,hes a randon lil sort he will happly stand at hunt when waiting for others to catch up or when waiting for the off he will just stand munching grass, and even happly trot along on the roads and the crazyest thing is they can all head of jumping and he will wait to be asked to go b4 he gose and then hes like "whooo look at me gooo" then he will start to get very excited like hes not bold and wont buck and dose not open his mouth or any thing and will stop when you take a good pull on him..

I got him checked my the vet again today at the yard and he said hes not in pain anywhere, i also had his teeth and back (saddle prof fitted) checked 2mts ago and they were all ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Does he snatch the bit out of your hands or is it that he just pulls like a train?

• Advertisement

He dosent snatch the bit, its not really pulling more that he just wont listen, he will just keep going its like he feels u pulling him or asking him to stop and he thinks "this is way to exciting illl just pretend i dont hear her...."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Assume you tried taking him out for a spin to knock the edges off before the hunt?

Yeah tryed that he just uses his reserve tank..... going to see if i can get a new bit or that at the weekend and hope that helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

would defo try four ring dutch gag with roundings then and a grackle - thats what i use on mine, i used to have no control out at hunter trials!! i wouldnt use them without roundings, i know you see a lot of people who do but i think it causes them to throw their heads up and protest. with a chunky mouthpiece you can take a pull as well without feeling bad!
    http://www.thehorsebitshop.co.uk/product.php?xProd=143

Thanks, going to give it a go woild be good to go to a hunt/ hunter trial and know my breaks are working :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Try the Dutch gag with roundings. My friend had a similar problem with her hunter and the DG really helped her get him under control again.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Anastazia

Hi there,

Have you tried a rubber straight bar pelham, it has some leverage but not a "nuctcracker effect" so it wont hurt his mouth like other bits might.
    Also I've hunted a very strong horse in a simple hackamore, maybe the contrast from pressure on his nose instead of his mouth might help!
    Just suggestions that I would probably try..
    Let me know what you think!;)

Ah that's like a Wilkie snaffle. Bit of gag action. Glad to hear he went well in it.

Advertisement