Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Science graduate of 2013

• 02-01-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm not 100% sure if this is the right section to post this on. I will be(or hopefully be)graduating this year in Computer Science. I'm ordering how difficult it would be to get a job in my area.

One of the main reason I'm asking this was a conversation I had with my mother about continuing with studies and try get an MSc qualification once I finished my degree. I know it is still a bit early to ask this question but it has been on my mind from time to time so I decided to post this question.

I personally want to start working once I graduate but if the jobs are scarce I will most likely continue on and try to get an Msc qualification.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

You've left it a little late to start applying, a lot of places had deadlines before the end of December for Graduates starting this Summer/Fall. I'm surprised you're not aware of how well the area is doing if you're doing a degree, it's one of the few areas that are crying out for people. But most places do want at least a 2.1 degree. Also, if you are considering an MSc there are reduced fees on some of the courses due to the high demand for people (to encourage people to move into the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pinkdiamond

a degree in computer science means you're basically guaranteed a job. it's a pity you're only thinking about you're job prospects now because the closing date for a lot of great graduate programs have closed.

i'm doing a masters in information systems management at the minute in NUIG: http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/taught-postgraduate-courses/information-systems-management.html. It has great job prospects and as Muir pointed out, is one of the courses with reduced fees. Fees for this academic year were 2,750. NUIG also do a postgraduate scholarship for 2,000 if you have a 1.1 undergraduate degree. I wasn't allowed apply for it this year because i wasn't on the grant during my undergraduate (discriminating much?), but I think they have removed this conditions for next years applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 unclejoe

I am currently doing a 1 year conversion course in IT. I am also looking at applying to graduate schemes. Will I be at a disadvantage because I only have a 1 year post-graduate diploma?

Also, how difficult is it to get into graduate schemes? I assume at least a 2:1 is necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

unclejoe wrote: »
    I am currently doing a 1 year conversion course in IT. I am also looking at applying to graduate schemes. Will I be at a disadvantage because I only have a 1 year post-graduate diploma?

Also, how difficult is it to get into graduate schemes? I assume at least a 2:1 is necessary.

I've done the same a post grad in IT only a hdip mind but yes a 2:1 is standard either from degree or postgrad or both in order to get through the process of graduate schemes.

Its a major advantage in terms of getting interviews but getting jobs it depends how you do in your postgrad and what you hope to achieve after, an IT job won't land on your lap as soon as, takes time, its now you would want to be applying for them to have something lined up before you finish. I am basing it on my experience and other's who have done the same course as myself. Employers always look at the degree not just the postgrad even though the result of the postgrad generally be first priority but the degree is often taken into consideration if you have any element of IT but if not they will probably ask questions about it and your postgrad.

I found it very difficult to get onto them for some reason, I only got a 2:2 in my degree but I got more than that for my hdip so its my hdip that is getting me through the process but not very far either I don't do well in the psychometric tests or interviews or both depending on the system. Usually they do a phone interview and then face to face one plus presentation/group assessment every grad scheme be slightly different in their selection process but not everyone who has 2:1's and 1's will get through can be quiet difficult to get on them, you really have to sell yourself and prove to them you are the right person for the role.

I've been hoping to do a Masters in the future preferable an ISM or BIS one in nuig/ucc or another masters related to multimedia, IT or business but think the ISM/BIS is my likely choice. My degree would be business and IT and multimedia so be similar to BIS/ISM. My hdip was in computing.

Programming is something to look out for though a lot of jobs you start of in technical support like I did but haven't managed to get back into again its got tougher now when I don't have a foreign language and enough experience or required certs.

Java is quiet difficult but the other programming languages a bit easier to master I find anyway but it all depends so many IT paths that beginners in advanced IT can pursue. BIS/Technology Consultancy, Business Analysis, Multimedia, Social media, cloud, databases, e-learning and e-commerce but then there are more difficult things like networking, software development and programming, web programming and operating systems programming are a bit more straight forward than java and other types of coding.

Lecturing or teaching could be another career path but you need to have at least 3 years industrial experience and very few jobs in that area at the moment. Might pick up in the near future.

A few years back i'd have agreed that yes you be guaranteed a job in IT if you did a degree in compSci but now not necessary always the case I've heard a few finding it difficult to get work others no problem in IT after the degree but then again those doing a postgrad in IT are competing against those that have the degree in CompSci with the exception that they likely both cover the core subjects.

Yes most postgrad dates be closed but a lot of them are still opened in some uni's even for IT Courses though business courses and science ones there is a time limit on them alright. There is hope yet. PAC have it opened since end of 2012 and not close till end of Summer start of Autumn 2013. You've time yet but depends on the course and uni's offering the IT courses you want to apply for.

It was last minute with me deciding on mine and I managed to get it in before the closing date and they extended further right until the course started so some will have leeway. It was a new course so that might have been the exception. Most courses open a certain date and have a number of rounds bit like the CAO but a bit more at least 3 to 4 anyway so you've a bit of time to apply between now and the summer is the best time to do it as many would only decide after their degree or after results so they have to give those people a chance too. Research thoroughly the courses you are interested, weigh up everything.

There is no harm trying to a jobbridge if you can when eligible to see if IT is what you want to do or do some voluntary work/project work in programming on the side maybe. Regards programming you could do a short course or online course to get you started and familiar if you never done it before.

If you want to work after college OP then maybe that is the best decision to make if you are in any doubt or unsure about doing postgrad studies or if you wish to hold it off for a while but I knew at the time I wanted to do one but when I did it when it was right and not much hope for a job at the time so postgrad felt was the only option and why wait any longer but in a way it help me make more informed choices what jobs to apply for and career paths to follow but at the same time making it tough to decide what masters to do sometimes think you need to work for a while to see what jobs and masters suit you best.

I tried searching for jobs and getting interviews but a Masters or jobbridge is the only feasible option for now for me anyway unless I decide to venture further afield remains to be seen its on the cards though either way. I probably leave where I am or do a Masters at some point!!

You are in a good position if you wish to go for a job go for it if it doesn't work out whether its not getting a job or getting one and its not what you want, maybe have applied to a masters as back up if a job does not fall through when you graduate.

Try not to be pushed by your Mam to do what she wants you to do, you need to decide for yourself what you wish to do, its your life your choice not hers and not live through her life just to maker her happy, make yourself happy.
    Of course take on board her advice but you make the decision in the end of the day not your Mam OP. I know she only want what's best for you, but only you know that better than yourself.

Is there a career guidance counsellor you could speak to or a career coach maybe? Get in touch with grads of the courses you want to do and attend any postgrad fairs you be interested in but a lot of them be finished for the year now I say.

Best of luck with your decision OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭PenguinForce

Wow I haven't checked this post for quite some time thanks for the reply all :)
    Recently I got an email for an interview, after my college's Project Fair, for a graduate position and I felt I don't have the skills required for it and would end up performing really bad in the interview especially with the technical questions.

Also I will not be here for six weeks in the summer as I will be visiting my family back home and this was planned months before this interview. It would be pretty bad if I do get the position and end up not been able to work due to my plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 lover_of_life

unclejoe wrote: »

I got a graduate job within a month of graduating and I did a conversion course in IT (originally did a music masters and degree)

PM me if you want some info :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Wow I haven't checked this post for quite some time thanks for the reply all :)
    Recently I got an email for an interview, after my college's Project Fair, for a graduate position and I felt I don't have the skills required for it and would end up performing really bad in the interview especially with the technical questions.

Also I will not be here for six weeks in the summer as I will be visiting my family back home and this was planned months before this interview. It would be pretty bad if I do get the position and end up not been able to work due to my plans.

You should notify the company you are interviewing for what time of the year you will be able to start full time work. You may even be better off sending them an e-mail before the interview just in case the position is in need of immediate filling.

Some companies can be flexible in the start dates for the graduates they're recruiting. I'm also a final year computer science student and several in my course have secured positions even though they will spend the summer travelling abroad.

In terms of jobs in general I would agree with the posts below, with a good degree and reasonable project experience you would be struggling to not find a job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

Folks,

IBM seem to be hiring graduate for 2013 https://jobs3.netmedia1.com/cp/faces/job_summary?job_id=SWG-0578393... if any one is interested in applying :)

Advertisement