Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Tefl AFTER being a language assistant?

Options
  • 02-01-2013 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I've always planned on teaching English after I graduate in June but now I've decided to apply to do be a language assistant in Spain, through the department of education. This involves an induction course but not any qualification.
    So, if I was to continue teaching english after that year would I need to then complete a TEFL course? Or would it be easy enough to get a job with that experience? I'd either like to stay in Spain or head to Argentina (Latin America in general), though I'd be interested in France or Eastern Europe either...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

openup wrote: »
    I've always planned on teaching English after I graduate in June but now I've decided to apply to do be a language assistant in Spain, through the department of education. This involves an induction course but not any qualification.
    So, if I was to continue teaching english after that year would I need to then complete a TEFL course? Or would it be easy enough to get a job with that experience? I'd either like to stay in Spain or head to Argentina (Latin America in general), though I'd be interested in France or Eastern Europe either...

Thanks!

Some jobs in Spain will just require a native speaker but more often than not they will look for a TEFL, or similarly qualified teacher. You may well get work without it, and never need to do the course, but you will be in a better position competing for work with it. I haven't done the course myself, but I know people that have and it doesn't seem like a big undertaking.

Advertisement