Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting multipacks

Options
  • 02-01-2013 11:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

What's the law in regards to buying multipacks of cans ( coke,7up ect) or crisps and splitting them to sell individually. Is there a act on it or is just generally frowned upon.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

See here for a discussion on the matter back in 2010.

It is a dishonest practice in the eyes of many consumers... not a reputation I would want associated with my business. It would probably lead to consumers shopping elsewhere.
    While not illegal as far as I know, the supplier/manufacturer may not be impressed by it if they were to be tipped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

It's not illegal. And in some quarters it's not even frowned upon. Splitting multipacks in some areas is as normal as breathing. Most of the shop owners I've known who've done it generally sold the individual items from a multi pack at a price that was higher than the multi but generally less than the single. He makes more money from the sale, but has to work harder to get the profit. The customer benefits by being able to buy a single item for less than it generally is.
    I remember watching one store owner painfully cut off the NOT TO BE SOLD SEPARATELY bands around the top of Coca Cola label because his customers wouldn't buy a twin pack but complained when he sold split packs as reduced priced singles. I guess you just can't win.
    In the case where a retailer splits the pack and sells each unit at the RRP of a single; well, you've got to make a few quid where you can. :rolleyes:

@enviro The supplier/manufacturer really has no say in how a retailer runs his store. They can refuse to supply, but in the FMCG business there are too many distribution avenues for them to stop any retailer selling their product, and I think the retailer who regularly splits multi packs really doesn't give a damn what the Coke or Cadbury rep thinks. ;)

Advertisement