Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time Childcare- what to pay?

Options
  • 03-01-2013 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hello, I'm currently looking for a childminder to mind my 9mth old in childminders own home 2 days (tues & thurs 9am-5.30pm)
    My questions are - what is the normal pay? Should I pay for bank holidays? Should I pay for childminders holidays and when we take holidays?
    I have someone in mind (recommended) she is not registered. We are in county Waterford area.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would encourage her to register and get insurance.
    Her income up to 15k is tax free .
    Usually you would pay them for bank holidays and if your child is out sick or you take them out for a day and your summer and Christmas holidays.
    35-40 a day would probably be the going rate .

• Registered Users Posts: 42 juniorballyc

Would you still pay for bank holidays when they only working Tuesday & Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I dont think so.

But I do think you'd pay over Chrsitmas etc. You could try synchronize holiday weeks but its not al;ways possible. If she was working in your home, you would be her employer and would have to pay her 1/5 of her usual weekly wage on top of the usual pay in a week that a bank holiday falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 juniorballyc

Thanks for info wmpdd3 ��

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I dont think so.

But I do think you'd pay over Chrsitmas etc. You could try synchronize holiday weeks but its not al;ways possible. If she was working in your home, you would be her employer and would have to pay her 1/5 of her usual weekly wage on top of the usual pay in a week that a bank holiday falls.

Would your home then become a business and therefore you'd need different insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 HB1

We pay €6 per hour to our childminder. She works in her own home. We do not pay for holidays etc. She childminds 3 days 8.30 to 4.30. We know her personally, didn't ask her to register etc. She is fine with not being paid for holidays but if our child was out sick on any of the 3 days we would pay her.

Advertisement