Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing Sunflowers

Options
  • 03-01-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

I need help & advice on growing sunflowers for picking in early May.
    I have a small greenhouse if this would be suitable. Any advice appreciated.
    Tnks, GrannieAnnie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I don't think you can do it Grainne. I would recommend ordering them in to buy. The only way would be to raise them under lights indoors but that would work out expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

I have grown 1 or 2, start them in a greenhouse,then grow them outdoors in a nice sunny spot with a bit of shelter,mine grew to about 5-6 feet, good luck with them..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree with Redser, its not the shelter etc that is as important as the amount of light. They are not usually sown until around April.

You have nothing to lose by trying, put seeds in pots and get them started, then transplant to big pots and feed them regularly, some manure in the compost would be good. Put them in the brightest part of the greenhouse. I suggest you have a back up plan (to buy some) though if you need them for May.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

igorbiscan wrote: »
    I have grown 1 or 2, start them in a greenhouse,then grow them outdoors in a nice sunny spot with a bit of shelter,mine grew to about 5-6 feet, good luck with them..

Yeah I just lashed a few seeds in a pot on the windowsill and watched them grow. Replanted outside at about 1 - 2 ft tall. I kept mine stabilised with a small stick when in the pot to keep upright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had a forest of them outside the house about six years ago. had just replaced the soil, and for want of a better option, threw down a couple of handfuls of kelkin sunflower seeds (shelled ones).
    the topped 12 foot, no staking required.

• Advertisement

But did anyone get them to flower in early May? They are easy to grow but the timing is the issue. I got the impression that grannie wants them for a specific purpose, like a wedding maybe? It's a big risk which I dont think will work out this far up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Grannie Annie

Thanks to all for your advice. I'll def have a back up but would still like to try and grown some myself for my daughters wedding (Church flowers/table arrangements etc), minature and dwarf ones rather than the very tall variety. I have grown them no problem to flower in late Summer but the timing is the problem. I wonder is it heat or light is more important when growing them?
    GrannieAnnie

It would be a combination of both but more the light. Obviously frost would kill them but they need a longer day and more intense sunlight than you would get from here to April to bloom. But best of luck, it's a nice thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sounds lovely. But mind the slugs/snails - I reckon I fed a whole bloody generation of the things with my attempts last summer - not one survived :mad:

I too would reckon light is the key.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There are such a lot of flowers that do flower in May why not grow something that will naturally be in flower?

What you will find is that, with the best will in the world, flowers you have grown yourself will not stand as well in arrangements as commercially grown flowers.

I grew lots of summer flowering plants for my son's wedding and my DIL and I used them for end of pew flowers - a few sweetpeas and other small flowers - a huge arrangement in the entrance to the church and arrangements on the window ledges. We ordered the flowers for the front of the church at the altar and really we could not have got the same effect as the florist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement