Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

self defence in portlaoise?

Options
  • 03-01-2013 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Wasn't there Krav Maga in Portarlington as well? I think I saw the ad on Adverts? Last year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭joe_dunne

There is a class of Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (traditional samurai and ninja martial arts) in Abbeyleix, we were based in Portlaoise for a few years but recently moved.

The website is here Bujinkan Portlaoise
    And the FB page is here - Bujinkan Portlaoise FB Page

If you have any questions all the contact details are there

All the best
    Joe

joe_dunne wrote: »
    There is a class of Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (traditional samurai and ninja martial arts) in Abbeyleix, we were based in Portlaoise for a few years but recently moved.

The website is here Bujinkan Portlaoise
    And the FB page is here - Bujinkan Portlaoise FB Page

If you have any questions all the contact details are there

All the best
    Joe

I wouldn't think that's self-defence though? It might give you some skills but its not self-defence in the proper sense. Its martial arts.

Admittedly you could use samurai skills with a good bata / shillelagh. I taught myself very usable Irish martial arts (bataireacht) skills and carry one when out walking. But Samurai skills does not translate to Kendo. And ninja? I can't fully comment but that seems more sport than self-defence in most clubs. Perhaps yours is different.

Krav Maga and some bareknuckle boxing skills and you're off.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

Just grow facial hear for now, the moment anyone frightens you just send down a dribble or two and say jerry instead of hello to anyone you meet... works for me!

• Advertisement

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I wouldn't think that's self-defence though? It might give you some skills but its not self-defence in the proper sense. Its martial arts.

Admittedly you could use samurai skills with a good bata / shillelagh. I taught myself very usable Irish martial arts (bataireacht) skills and carry one when out walking. But Samurai skills does not translate to Kendo. And ninja? I can't fully comment but that seems more sport than self-defence in most clubs. Perhaps yours is different.

Krav Maga and some bareknuckle boxing skills and you're off.

With all due respect I'm not sure you know what you're talking about, however if your would like to come along for a free class you are more than welcome, as as anyone who is reading this tread.

All the best
    Joe

joe_dunne wrote: »
    With all due respect I'm not sure you know what you're talking about, however if your would like to come along for a free class you are more than welcome, as as anyone who is reading this tread.

All the best
    Joe

Thank you Joe. I appreciate that and may take you up on the offer.

Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and opinions. I have to say that I am interested in the subject matter of your classes. Fascinated in fact. I just believe that effective self-defence comes from hardwiring a few moves only. Any more than that is not doable for the average busy person; if they are to use it effectively. Self-defence is mostly mental, not physical.

I am quite sure I know what I'm talking about and suggest anyone who is curious should google bataireacht and read http://www.waterfordmartialarts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=108&Itemid=194

Clearly, stick-fighting is something that doesn't translate to the urban, nay the city environment.... Or does it?

http://real-self-defense.com/unbreakable-umbrella/ I also have and can handily use one of these. Again, anyone interested inthe efficacy of such a deceptive urban weapon should study and watch http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasKurz

Again, I am sure I know what I'm talking about and have perfected my personal safety over 12 months; using bare knuckle boxing techniques, krav maga and 2 'weapons': - a Fenix TK15 tactical torch and a choice of either an aul man irish Blackthorn when walking the dog or an unbreakable umbrella when in more genteel environments. And yes, if you know stickfighting basics, you can thrash the BEJESUS out of (or kill if not careful) any martial artist, any knife-carrier etc etc.

My style of protection is effective; but probably not what the OP may be looking for. But it works. Hammer-fists with crenelated torch-heads work as do fist-loads. If I was in the MMA f*iry-bouncer forum, they'd ban me again :-D :-D

I should say it IS best to join a club environment like Joe's and learn self-control. I am self-taught and have a rage in me (when I choose). If you don't, you can get hurt. So unless you have the sage advice of experienced martial artists like Joe, don't be a fool. If you haven't punched someone to the ground before, you may not in the future either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Fight fight fight!!!!!

As long as your happy "An Ri rua" then I'm happy for you.

Interestingly in one of the videos "Keeping Hold of Your Unbreakable Umbrella" one of the comments mentions that it's a Hanbo (3 foot staff) technique from Kukishin Ryu (an old Japanese school) which is what I teach as part of the Bujinkan system.

And as for you "**Vai**" you owe me a can of coke, the one I was drinking tried to drown me when I burst out laughing at your post! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ShadowFax

There is a new MMA & Fitness Club opened in Portarlington recently, check em out here ...

https://www.facebook.com/Honeybadgermma

• Advertisement
Advertisement