Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to go about advertising for (giving) Irish grinds?

• 03-01-2013 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I want to give Irish grinds; I'm a university student; and I was just wondering what is the best way to go about advertising for teaching grinds - locally I presume in shops/establishments by putting posters up, yes? Also, does it usually get a good response from parents/students?

Thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭TheBody

pm123 wrote: »
    I want to give Irish grinds; I'm a university student; and I was just wondering what is the best way to go about advertising for teaching grinds - locally I presume in shops/establishments by putting posters up, yes? Also, does it usually get a good response from parents/students?

You can begin by posting here for Junior Cert students:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054994389&page=14

and here for Leaving cert studnts:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=117777&page=23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭doc_17

Be careful where you advertise. I read that certain people were looking into such advertisements that were placed in ships etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭pm123

Ships?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Ships?

Ships...have a look at your keyboard and see what letter is very close to 'i' which might have been hit by mistake. Of course maybe it is meant to be 'ships' but I suspect not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭doc_17

Sorry, meant shops!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

The taxman is looking at notice boards and other likely places and contacting people who offer grinds to see if they are registered and paying tax on such earnings. You should be aware of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

I can't see you getting a great response to be honest.
    Parents are parting with very hard-earned cash and expect grinds from qualified experienced teachers and rightly so.
    They are looking for someone who knows the course(s) inside out, marking scheme, exam technique, can provide sample answers and notes for all areas of the course ; not simply someone who is fluent in the language.
    I often get parents of my own grind students asking for recommendations for maths/english/french grinds etc and they will always ask for a teacher.
    You have nothing to lose by advertising though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭pm123

Excuse me, but I know the LC and JC courses inside out, marking schemes, paper layouts, I have all sample answers done out, etc., etc., etc.
    So I am beyond qualified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

You are not beyond qualified-you are not a qualified teacher. You are a student.

And the poster above was only giving you advice and did say to give it a try anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Excuse me, but I know the LC and JC courses inside out, marking schemes, paper layouts, I have all sample answers done out, etc., etc., etc.

Are you a qualified Irish teacher? No need to be so defensive. I give Irish grinds and was only giving my own experience on what parents are looking for. Apologies if you took offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

I'm afraid knowing the syllabus/exam inside out does not necessarily make you qualified :)

Advertisement