Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking Concrete Block Wall

Options
  • 03-01-2013 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,
    I posted this on Arch/Tech forum and got two responses that were not runners, so I'm trying it here to see if I have better luck.
    I have a shed and the back wall was the original garden boundary wall. Its made of 9" solid blocks un-plastered on either side but painted on the inside.
    The problem is that it is leaking. It seem to be leaking through the joints and dripping down, resulting in discoloration of the paint, wet on the floor at the bottom of the wall and a smell of damp in the air.
    I have no access to the outside of the wall - its in a neighbors garden.
    Any advice on solving the problem would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Just fill the joints with sand and cement and plaster the wall on the inside And add Waterproofer additive to the mix to help

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd ask the neighbours can you paint a waterproofer onto the wall. It will be invisible once dry and will cause the water to just bead/run off the wall without soaking in.

I'd worry that just doing the inside would do strange things...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

dubturner wrote: »
    Hi,
    I posted this on Arch/Tech forum and got two responses that were not runners, so I'm trying it here to see if I have better luck.
    I have a shed and the back wall was the original garden boundary wall. Its made of 9" solid blocks un-plastered on either side but painted on the inside.
    The problem is that it is leaking. It seem to be leaking through the joints and dripping down, resulting in discoloration of the paint, wet on the floor at the bottom of the wall and a smell of damp in the air.

Ideally, you need to plaster the outside of the wall, using a waterproofer in the plaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

dubturner wrote: »
    Hi,

I would assume the neighbours garden is at a higher level on the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dubturner

Hi - yes it is, but the leaking is worst further up the wall when it rains.

• Advertisement
Advertisement