Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are you taking down your Christmas tree?

Options
  • 03-01-2013 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Mine went up about six days before Christmas, and it will be coming down on the last day of Christmas, which is Sunday the 6th/ January. I only ask, because many of our neighbours put up their trees three or four weeks before Christmas, and many of those same neighbours had already taken their trees down by New Years day :cool:

Curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

NEVER!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Lol that's so funny , I read that thread and looked behind me in living room, the mrs said she took it down 2 days ago .

My detective days are well and truly over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Our neighbours are the same. One house was covered in lights since 3rd week in November, but hasn't switched them on since St. Stepehens day and took them all down at the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

I took it down yesterday, I just couldn't look at it anymore... and usually I'm the most annoyingly Christmassy person ever :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I've got my kids for the weekend so we'll have a little Christmas on Sunday and I'll take it and the rest of the bits n pieces down after they go to bed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 holmeste

will take it down on sat 5th Jan or sunday 6th!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

Tomorrow. Going to ease the post christmas blues by eating some left over chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CarrieAnne

I am one of those "put it up a bit early people..." but I am afraid (for my Husband and neighbours) that I am also thinking the earliest it can come down is Monday.... and my crib will stay up longer PG... as per old tradition.

My Husband tried to say it should come down the weekend, back to work, blah blah.... but it is still Christmas. I love it all, religion included, visited crib yesterday in church, spoiled my children today with few hours in "adventure area place".... I know people are winding down and "tired" of it all, but i love it, have my tree in corner as i type and can't believe it will be down on Monday! :-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Mines down since the 2nd... Love Christmas but I hate looking at the decorations once New Years is over..

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I'll be taking mine down on the 7th, Monday. Christmas only comes once a year so might as well leave it up until Christmas is officially over.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Lights will be turned off at midnight on the 6th of January and tree and decorations taken down on the 7th (if my entire household hasn't been hospitilised with the cold/flu that's doing the rounds at the moment). I know all the excitement of Christmas is over after New Years Day but I still don't like to see people taking down their trees/decorations before the 6th of January, its still the Christmas season after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I've just taken down everything bar the outside lights.

They'll be turned off at midnight tonight (6th)

Thats it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

we took ours down on 2nd Jan ........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Taken down since last thursday. Didnt get into christmas at all this year due to most of the family getting vommiting bug at the start of december and then man flu on christmas eve. First time to be unwell over christmas and i hope it never happens again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Tomorrow, if I have the energy. We have all had dreadful Christmas cold for the last fortnight so I'll be glad to see the back of it to be honest. Can't wait to get back to normal

I'm going to do it tomorrow after school. I'm squeezing one last night out of it. I'm going to put Valentines stuff on the dresser in the kitchen just to ease the pain a little....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My tree will be switched off tonight at midnight. Devastated. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

I think it started way too early this year and as a result, everyone was just so sick of looking at Christmas stuff, we just had to get rid of it all as soon as possible. Mine are gone since yesterday - good riddance to be honest. Delighted to see the back of them.

• Advertisement

Well, there are Easter Eggs for sale already- I don't think Christmas was brought in too early if this is the threshold!
    I have had my tree up since the last week of November and am not sick of it at all, it's still beautiful. :)
    Besides, this is the Christmas forum- we'd bring in Christmas in August if we* could!

*We may or may not mean 'I'

We put ours up for the Toy Show, as it was our baby's birthday. Thats just over 6 weeks. I would give my left arm to leave it up another 6. I love Christmas, the build up, the cold, boo to January. I could cry :(

sugarman wrote: »
    Just leave it there and throw a sheet over it until next year. If it was up to me, I would:p

Don't tempt me!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Tomorrow for me. Sad to see it go but has to be done. Didnt look the same once the presents went from under it

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Tomorrow for me. Sad to see it go but has to be done. Didnt look the same once the presents went from under it

My parents bought some of those "presents" that light up from an independant hardware store here in Mayo, they look lovely lit at night....helps ease the pain....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Decided to leave mine up one extra night as we used to do years ago, so it will come down tomorrow. It will be replaced by a bowl of hyacinths on the windowsill.

Does anyone remember on The Den about 20 years ago when they left the tree up until nearly Easter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

sunbeam wrote: »
    Decided to leave mine up one extra night as we used to do years ago, so it will come down tomorrow. It will be replaced by a bowl of hyacinths on the windowsill.

Does anyone remember on The Den about 20 years ago when they left the tree up until nearly Easter?

I was just telling my kids about that today. It was incredibly funny! You'd dash home from school and slap on the den to see if they had finally taken it down. It's my lasting memory of how funny zig and zag were.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    My tree will be switched off tonight at midnight. Devastated. :(

Took mine down today. Apartment looks cold and empty, I already miss the warm glow of the tree lights. Gutted, I should have kept them up I don't even speak to the neighbours!

:P

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Took mine down today. Apartment looks cold and empty, I already miss the warm glow of the tree lights. Gutted, I should have kept them up I don't even speak to the neighbours!

:P

Ha ha, lockie - put everything back up again - it'll be a guarantee that ye won't be talking in 2013 either :D

• Advertisement

I hugged my Christmas tree tightly after turning it off.
    At least it's only going to live in the attic though. I couldn't deal with having a real tree that gets thrown out! :eek:

Then I had to turn off my crib, lighting wreath, hall tree and kitchen tree to add to my dismay. :(

Advertisement