Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are you taking down your Christmas tree?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I couldn’t face the thought of it tomorrow morning, so I took one last look at my tree and have just finished taking down the lot. :(

House looks so bare and cobwebby now....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

sunbeam wrote: »
    Decided to leave mine up one extra night as we used to do years ago, so it will come down tomorrow. It will be replaced by a bowl of hyacinths on the windowsill.

Does anyone remember on The Den about 20 years ago when they left the tree up until nearly Easter?

I think mine was up until mid-January last year :o it;s still up now and will be coming down Wednesday at the earliest...but that's only because I won;t have time before then and I wanted to keep it up for the whole weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Probably the 9th, the Christmas decorations are still going strong over here in Norway, Everywhere you go lights are still up and Christmas trees sparkling in peoples windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Took ours down yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭NedLowry

Today

• Advertisement

Done *sob* in my parents house and here....can't...cope.....however, I did put up the Valentine stuff as I said I'd do!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG my mum is taking down the decorations today while I'm in work - thank God she does it every year cos I'd get seriously depressed :(

A work colleague was telling me today that she loves Christmas so much that when they were taking down the decorations at home yesterday there were tears welling in her eyes!:eek::D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

leahyl wrote: »
    OMG my mum is taking down the decorations today while I'm in work - thank God she does it every year cos I'd get seriously depressed :(

A work colleague was telling me today that she loves Christmas so much that when they were taking down the decorations at home yesterday there were tears welling in her eyes!:eek::D

We are not alone so! :P

S'pose, technically, its only about 10 months until we get to put them up again....next month we'll be in single figures....I'm really fighting a losing battle here :'(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    S'pose, technically, its only about 10 months until we get to put them up again....next month we'll be in single figures....I'm really fighting a losing battle here :'(

Feel your pain Mayo girl I really do, my apartment is beyond empty with them gone! Miss the hussle and bussle and then the peace of Christmas Day itself, it's pure magic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Took down Sunday 6th. every time i walk into the room now ,i think how empty it looks.

It is total magic....I'm as bad as the smallies. I was as excited as they were on Christmas Even - even though I knew The Truth :) ah well, to put another slant on it to cheer you up - 50 weeks tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

My tree went up on the 1st Dec and came down on the 1st Jan. My mum is Australia takes her tree down on St Stephen's day, which is when I normally would as well, but I couldn't be bothered this year. I'd never heard of people leaving trees up into Jan until I moved to Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Just finished taking everything down. I'd intended to do it yesterday evening but the kids asked me to wait until they had gone back to their mother so now they're gone and so are the deccies.
    Really depressed now

Just finished taking everything down. I'd intended to do it yesterday evening but the kids asked me to wait until they had gone back to their mother so now they're gone and so are the deccies.
    Really depressed now

That must be hard, if its any consolation your boards family are here anytime day or night so you are never alone when we're around!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

Took ours down today. I'm not back to college until Monday, so I've taken to moping around the house feeling very sorry for myself.

irishbarb wrote: »
    Took ours down today. I'm not back to college until Monday, so I've taken to moping around the house feeling very sorry for myself.

Been there! Only coming around now and the tree has been down since Sunday! Posting here and reading similar posts to mine help with the therapy tho! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My tree is in the attic now. Oh God, my poor beautiful tree!! :(

I hate January! *stamps foot*

On the plus side, I still have my crib up. :)

Posy wrote: »
    My tree is in the attic now. Oh God, my poor beautiful tree!! :(

I hate January! *stamps foot*

On the plus side, I still have my crib up. :)

And your avatar still has its Santy Hat! ;)

She's refusing to take it off. :pac:

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    She's refusing to take it off. :pac:

4 More Years! 4 More Years! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

my lights are off, my trees are coming down, my pull-out old school ceiling decs are folded up :'( but on the plus side, my Crib lingers, my year-round bathroom tree is still there and I have my die-hard "Elves" here in Christmas 365 Land (ie ye) to keep me company :D

". But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas-time...as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time..... And therefore, uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!" - Dickens

Missing my tree, the Valentines decorations just don't cut it.....All together now - O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Treeeeeeeeee

I'm so happy to have found like-minded people, I feel like Buddy The Elf here!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Our tree came down on the 6th but to be honest I'd prefer to have left it up another week or two.

Two years ago I put it up the first week of November and took it down in the last week of January.happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Took all our decorations down today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I feel everyone's pain. I really do.
    Christmas for me seemed to fly by this year - we had loads of visitors and then I had to go to the UK on the 3rd January.
    (I was happy to report I saw a lot of Christmas lights in the Uk - thought I would see less, but I don't think they go to town as much as we do in Ireland.)
    I had no time to watch Christmas films, which I normally do.

I'm coming home tomorrow and going to leave my decorations up for a bit and pretend its still the Christmas season. I'll watch Christmas films and drink hot chocolate. I still have lots of goodies to eat at home.

But I wish people made more of a big deal of the 6th January. That would be something to look forward to after New Year's. Instead people take their decs down and all the ads are gone from the TV.
    I really want to listen to my Christmas music too.

I think we need the Christmas Out Of Season thread to start soon!

I'm coming home tomorrow and going to leave my decorations up for a bit and pretend its still the Christmas season. I'll watch Christmas films and drink hot chocolate. I still have lots of goodies to eat at home.

But I wish people made more of a big deal of the 6th January. That would be something to look forward to after New Year's. Instead people take their decs down and all the ads are gone from the TV.
    I really want to listen to my Christmas music too.

I think we need the Christmas Out Of Season thread to start soon!

I sneakily left some Christmas songs on my iphone so every now and then my commute to work becomes a bit more festive :pac:

Loving the Christmas Films and Hot Chocolate idea, I think I'll be doing the same tomorrow night.

And I 100% agree we need the Christmas out of season 2013 thread up!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I was out for a walk last night and i saw a house with their christmas lights still on :D It made me smile :D

There is a house in Fairview that still has their Christmas tree in the window. I'm the same- it makes me smile. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I am currently staying in my parent's house because I'm looking after it when they're away. Their tree is still up and I have it lit :D

I'm feeling very Christmassy indeed!! :D

Advertisement