Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband a JOKE!

Options
  • 03-01-2013 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

My internet connection is a disgrace, when the kids are on the xbox its constantly lagging, cant use the internet when its being used because it interrupts the connection, surely i should be able to use the two of the at one for the price im paying.... :mad:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Are your kids downloading demo's or just playing online? Playing games online should not lag your connection on your PC/Laptop unless their downloading demo's the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 funkyfifi

Its when they are playing call of duty, i could go on the laptop and it takes me 10 mins to load a page or else it will come up loss of connection on the xbox, one of them is always affected..

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TomoBhoy

funkyfifi wrote: »
    Its when they are playing call of duty, i could go on the laptop and it takes me 10 mins to load a page or else it will come up loss of connection on the xbox, one of them is always affected..
    Which package are you on?

I'm on the 8mb home bundle..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm on the 8mb home bundle..
    Is it the zxyel p660 router? Have you looked at port forwarding and is there an adequate number of nat sessions allowed? Can you look at the log in maintainance when it happens and see if there's an error?

• Advertisement

Its the router I got off them, sorry pal dont mean to be rude but the rest is double dutch to me.. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

If you're just browsing the web, not watching anything yourself, you should be ok.

Your kids could be playing x box live that could explain the lag., you're getting.

I would run a speed test on Google to check what speed you're actually getting from Eircom, that could be the actual problem. The speed you're getting is less than advertised.

Unfortunately DSL broadband is crap for online gaming, and to be able to stream videos to watch. If you can get UPC, I would get upgrade.

What Eircom charge for 7 and 8 meg you can get 50meg with UPC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Go to speedtest.net and write your results here.

Bring up command prompt
    start->all programs->accessories->command prompt

and type ping www.eircom.net and post here again what the results are.

If you're just browsing the web, not watching anything yourself, you should be ok.

Your kids could be playing x box live that could explain the lag., you're getting.

I would run a speed test on Google to check what speed you're actually getting from Eircom, that could be the actual problem. The speed you're getting is less than advertised.

Unfortunately DSL broadband is crap for online gaming, and to be able to stream videos to watch. If you can get UPC, I would get upgrade.

What Eircom charge for 7 and 8 meg you can get 50meg with UPC
    But that's the thing unless you live in Dublin you can't get UPC, which leaves us poor unforts using DSL

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2416611272.png These are my results.. Its not just the lagging on the xbox I have the problem with, takes about 10 minutes to load a 3 min video on youtube, drops in connection every so often that I end up calling to my friends to use her upc if I've to pay a bill because I'm scared it will drop in connection.. In all fairness for what I'm paying this shouldn't be happening....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Dude/dudess do you have the netopia or zyxel router that came with the subscription? Can you log into it, click on maintainance and look at the log when the problem happens?

You should be able to use the pc while the kids game, with COD(activison) they use lag compensation which is a pain it really only concerns your ping, you should be able to to down load the video pretty easy now I'm on the 24mb one but the only time I've had trouble was when using 3 mobile that took like an age to download but with the fixed line you shouldn't have any problem

TomoBhoy wrote: »
    But that's the thing unless you live in Dublin you can't get UPC, which leaves us poor unforts using DSL

Actually UPC is available in lot of places now outside Dublin.

Rural locations that have populations less than 2,000 people, will likely never see broadband better then DSL

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2416611272.png These are my results.. Its not just the lagging on the xbox I have the problem with, takes about 10 minutes to load a 3 min video on youtube, drops in connection every so often that I end up calling to my friends to use her upc if I've to pay a bill because I'm scared it will drop in connection.. In all fairness for what I'm paying this shouldn't be happening....

Ping, normal range would be between 40 to 50 on a good connection. I live about 12 miles outside Limerick city. My ping is 41 most of the time ( pretty good). People in city areas might get a lower ping because their closer to the exchange.

59 not bad, but it likely will jump up if other people are using your connection.

Make sure you're wifi is off, if not using it. People can use it on their phones if its not security enabled.

Actually UPC is available in lot of places now outside Dublin.

Rural locations that have populations less than 2,000 people, will likely never see broadband better then DSL
    Wicklow Town is basically a Dublin suburb now yet it does not have UPC BB, Greystones and Kilcoole have it, not sure about NewTown mt Kennedy,a lot of places depend on DSL, Ireland still is light years behind other European countrys when it comes to BB.

Thanks cheerful spring.
    So where do I go from here?? stick it out until my contract is up??... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi funkyfifi

Can you please PM me your landline number? I will look into this and run a few tests on your line.

Regards

Al

Advertisement