Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa debit card vd Clear Credit Card

Options
  • 03-01-2013 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi

I am trying to understand where is the convinience in using a debit card instead of the Clear credit card, expecially for the POS.

Consider that me and my wife have two normal accounts, with debit cards Visa, and we have a two mastercards clear 2in 1 (in my bank account). We pay the credit card balance every month for DD.

We don't have 3000 euro at the moment so there are fees for transaction. What is the fees for transaction.

A part that we had a problem in using the debit card to buy on amazon.it ( but not in amazon.co.uk), I wonder if it is crazy to keep the credit cards or not.

My wife is a third level student, but I am not sure if it is worthy to change the bank account just for the waived quarter fee.

Consider that we go abroad in EU every year for holiday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi crodeghin.

Thanks for your query.

It is not possible for us to advise which card would best suit your needs, however we can certainly go through them both with you here.
    Our transaction fees remain the same. There are two options available for customers.

a) Pay as you go: 28c for each transaction.

b) Flat fee option: €11.40 per quarter for 90 transactions. Transactions in excess of 90 costs 28c each.

If you wish to amend the fee category you are on before the above take effect you will need to make the amendment before 16th of November 2012. You can contact the branch or Banking 365 to discuss.
    The contact number for Banking 365 is 0818 365 365.

Debit card transactions may be liable for the 28c fee as mentioned above. In relation to your credit card, please see below:
    As long as you are withdrawing Euro and the amount that you withdraw is not greater than the amount that you are in credit, you won't be charged for withdrawing the funds. If you withdraw more than the amount you are in credit a cash advance fee will be applied.

If you use your Visa Debit card to withdraw cash, there is a cross border handling fee of 3.5% of the amount you withdraw with a minimum charge of €3.17 and a maximum charge of €11.43. If you use the card at a point of sale, the charge is 1.75% of the transaction. The minimum charge applied depends on whether the transaction is contactless or not. The minimum charge for a contactless transaction is €0.10 and the minimum charge for a non-contactless transaction is €0.46. The maximum point of sale charge is also €11.43.

If you use your Mastercard to withdraw cash, there is a cross border handling fee of 1.75% of the amount you withdraw. If your credit card is not in credit, a 1.5% cash advance fee is also applied. The minimum cash advance fee is €2.54. If you use the card at a point of sale, the 1.75% charge applies.

Once you pay your credit card account in full and by the due date, no further charges will apply.

You can find further information on Visa Debit card fees here and on credit card fees here.

Hope this helps. If you are still unsure of which card is best for you, please contact a Personal Advisor in your account holding branch who will be happy to help you.

Thanks.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭crodeghin

so:

1) if I go in Italy is cheaper to pay POS or withdraw money with the credit card?

2) if I am in Ireland and use the POS paying by credit card, I have to pay 28c only once for the DD credit on my bank account (for several POS transaction using credit card), while if I use the Debit card I pay everytime 28c..is it correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi crodeghin.
    crodeghin wrote: »
    1) if I go in Italy is cheaper to pay POS or withdraw money with the credit card?

When using your credit card in Italy there will be no charge to make a point of sale transaction, however you will be charged the cash advance fee to withdraw funds from an ATM if your credit card account is not in credit.

crodeghin wrote: »
    2) if I am in Ireland and use the POS paying by credit card, I have to pay 28c only once for the DD credit on my bank account (for several POS transaction using credit card), while if I use the Debit card I pay everytime 28c..is it correct?

You are correct in saying that when using your credit card at point of sale and having a direct debit in place to clear the full balance, you will only be charged 28c for the direct debit. Each time you use your debit card, you may incur the 28c charge unless you register for the flat fee option which is €11.40 per quarter for 90 transactions.

Hope this helps.
    Laura

Advertisement