Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you take €5M, never to set foot in Ireland again?

• 03-01-2013 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

If you were offered say €5M, but the stipulation was never to set foot in Ireland again, would you do it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yes.

/ Thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Nope

/ Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

p.s I think I would, you can always fly family to wherever you are for visits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

no way.

100million, maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

You could buy the country back for 2million.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

where's the cheque?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yes.

I'd then buy a hover-board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Yolo.

/ Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Yes. Family can visit me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Yes. Family can visit me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Yes, without a second thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

well you see the thing is, i'd be a bit of a nihilist, so i dont really care for money...

on the other hand i dont care about family or friends either, so why not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭Grass between the tracks

I would, 5 million is awfully generous. 1 million would be enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

pmcmahon wrote: »
    where's the cheque?
    i told you already, its in the post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

5 Million is a huge amount of money. I'd have to say yes.

I used to think if i got that amount I'd stay at work, but after a while it dawned on me that if i got even 2 million i'd be gone! I never really put much thought into it but if I work for the next 35 years that's 1.75 million (ish, at best) for actually working! The lads at work say I'm mad, they'd be gone for 100k!

Some people told me they'd be gone if they could pay off their mortgage, and as i get older i can see where they're coming from. Why would you not relax for yourself if you actually had the cash in the bank?

PS- I love Ireland too, but 5 MILLION??? I'd do awful, terrible things for that kind of money! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

i told you already, its in the post

Im no ireland basher and i wouldnt turn that down. A millionaire's lifestyle abroad or a life of struggle here. no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Yes, if I had no legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

A Swiss chalet in the mountains and run a small bakery with cash left over to supplement failing bakery because I sleep it out every morning...fcuk yeh..show me the money.

PS- I still like Ireland, but 5m is too much to say no too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

catallus wrote: »
    5 Million is a huge amount of money. I'd have to say yes.

I used to think if i got that amount I'd stay at work, but after a while it dawned on me that if i got even 2 million i'd be gone! I never really put much thought into it but im on average 50k a year. If I work for the next 35 years that's 1.75 million for actually working! The lads at work say I'm mad, they'd be gone for 100k!

Some people told me they'd be gone if they could pay off their mortgage, and as i get older i can see where they're coming from. Why would you not relax for yourself if you actually had the cash in the bank?

anyone who gives up work for 100k is an idiot. You will not be able to live off the interest. You will run out of money. Even paying off the mortgage is not much of an advantage. You will then live for free with no income. Even 1 million wouldn't make your wages in interest. At 2 million, maybe.

Remember that Steve jobs still worked. People get bored without work.

anyone who gives up eork for 100k is an idiot. You will not be able to live off the interest. You will run out of money. Even paying off the mortgage is not much of an advantage. You will then live for free with no income. Even 1 million wouldn't make your wages in interest. At 2 million, maybe.

That's what I thought too, but they say they'd try their hand at something else! I was kind of convinced by their argument. The guys who said they'd quit if they could pay off their mortgage were insisting they'd go on the dole if they couldn't find something else.

• Advertisement

Steve Jobs never had to clean a toilet or drive a garbage truck. That's the type of work you'd jack if you could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I probably would. The only thing that might hold me back is the thoughts of missing out on loved ones weddings/funerals and other events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Yes!...Goodbye losers!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Peanut007

dd972 wrote: »
    If you were offered say €5M, but the stipulation was never to set foot in Ireland again, would you do it?

Tough one. It's a lot of money, but for all it's problems Ireland has a lot of good things and home is where the heart is. I've worked in the UK on 2 previous occasions, firstly in my late teens starting out after leaving school in 1990 (London) and again in 1998 (Cardiff). 2 very different experiences, the first I was on minimum wage and terrified, the second I was earning serious money at a pretty senior level. I'd returned to Dublin in '93 and put myself through college at night. I returned again in 2001, set up my own businesses and have ridden the rollercoaster ever since, never thinking I'd be leaving again. But alas it looks like I'll be heading off again very soon, stuck in serious negative equity and working 90 hour weeks just to stay broke. And even with all the pent up anger and frustrations about how this and previous government have sold us down the swany I'd have to say that when I get my shop in order I will come back. Perhaps I'm the eternal optimist, perhaps I'm just stupid and delusional, who knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

In a heartbeat...actually I'd do it for far less than 5m :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

anyone who gives up eork for 100k is an idiot. You will not be able to live off the interest. You will run out of money. Even paying off the mortgage is not much of an advantage. You will then live for free with no income. Even 1 million wouldn't make your wages in interest. At 2 million, maybe.

Ye people who have ****ty lives

ColeTrain wrote: »

Steve Jobs never had to clean a toilet or drive a garbage truck. That's the type of work you'd jack if you could.

If I won the lottery and it wasn't enough to live off the interest I would give up my office job to drive a truck. At least for a while.

It's something I wanted to do as a kid, but life intervened - and a desire for more money and status tbh.

Ye people who have ****ty lives

Like Steve jobs, larry Ellison, and Donald trump. You would fill up your days doing what exactly?

If I won the lottery and it wasn't enough to live off the interest I would give up my office job to drive a truck. At least for a while.

It's something I wanted to do as a kid, but life intervened - and a desire for more money and status tbh.

You wouldn't last a week if you had serious cash in the bank. Me neither btw, imagine your alarm going off at 4am to get up and to do a run across the country. I wouldn't be long hopping the alarm off the wall and turning over for another 10 hrs in the sack!

• Advertisement

You wouldn't last a week if you had serious cash in the bank. Me neither btw, imagine your alarm going off at 4am to get up and to do a run across the country. I wouldn't be long hopping the alarm off the wall and turning over for another 10 hrs in the sack!

Possibly. I am thinking my own company, setting out at 8 am. Late deliveries. Get up, listen to the radio and drive. Office politics it isn't.

But 4 am, no.

Exactly, for 5 Million you'd soon realise that you're no longer a wage-slave, it'd open up so much opportunity to live the dream! You could literally do anything you wanted.

Exactly, for 5 Million you'd soon realise that you're no longer a wage-slave, it'd open up so much opportunity to live the dream!

It wouldn't be for a wage - unless I paid myself.

It wouldn't be for a wage - unless I paid myself.

What would it be for then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Possibly. I am thinking my own company, setting out at 8 am. Late deliveries. Get up, listen to the radio and drive. Office politics it isn't.

But 4 am, no.

4am is the middle of the night, not the morning, 11 is wakey wakey time with €5m in the bank

What would it be for then?

To do stuff. I want to drive a truck.

• Advertisement

I wonder would the answers be different on an American site. I think so.

To do stuff. I want to drive a truck.

My dad used to drive a truck. He loved it too. But it wasn't his dream?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

For myself, yes (if young, free and single - I'm now none of those) but considering my 4 kids and the still relative freedoms we have here, I would be reluctant.

My dad used to drive a truck. He loved it too. But it wasn't his dream?

Oh, I'd probably get bored. Maybe I'd golf.

I hate golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I don't think i'd have much choice.

If i won €5million, i'd probably leave the Country on a holiday, and probably end up coming back in a coffin. - Never set foot in the Country again..

BTW, Steve Jobs, Donald Trump etc..
    Them lads was Mo-tivated.

Anyone (ANYONE) can earn cash (millions) with motivation.
    Those that don't (Including me) aren't motivated enough.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

If I was given 5 million I will never set foot to the earth fly off to the moon build a villa there and live happily ever after

But 4 am, no.

For me, ColeTrain's bar would be open. I wouldn't even care if it turned profit or not. I'd get some goon to run the place. It would be a place to go to kill the boredom and drink some of my winnings.
    Exactly, for 5 Million you'd soon realise that you're no longer a wage-slave, it'd open up so much opportunity to live the dream! You could literally do anything you wanted.

Very true. I remember seeing the news a few years back and it had a story where a woman won the lotto and pocketed a few million. She worked in a mundane enough job - one you couldn't possibly enjoy. Anyways, she was interviewed and was asked if she would quit her job, her reply was something like "No, I'll be back to work in the morning". I thought it was pathetic enough and quite sad. All that opportunity and she wouldn't make a break for it. Was thinking give me the money and I'll send you on some postcards from where I've been.

I'd do it for an awful lot less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

In a heartbeat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

If I were offered 5 million I would donate it to charity

dd972 wrote: »
    4am is the middle of the night, not the morning, 11 is wakey wakey time with €5m in the bank

11pm would be ideal, Coke and Hookers thrive in darkness :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Pay for my flight and two months rent abroad and that'd be enough for me.

DylanII wrote: »
    Pay for my flight and two months rent abroad and that'd be enough for me.

You must have no family, friends or interest in anything in Ireland if you're being serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Many would leave Ireland if you paid for their flights.

I would never work if I had the average industrial wage into my pocket every month. I don't need much to live. I could learn things, and always things I was interested. I could be free to do something of value as opposed to monetary value. If you're not in a job you want to be in all the time, like the majority of people (don't lie), you don't need to work.

True, there are plenty of retirees and many unemployed people (wealthy enough not to work) who miss working and can decline rapidly without a job. I think that has as much to do with a need for purpose as anything else. They're too used to it to shift to something new if they didn't have something that drove them outside their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

And for what? For a little bit of money. There's more to life than a little money, you know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement