Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you take €5M, never to set foot in Ireland again?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

No. Tempting offer but would hate not to be able to visit this country ever again as long as I live, even though I could fly my relatives and friends to visit me. Not like that would be very often though - they've their own sh1t going on.
    I'm aware of this country's bad points but not going to pretend there are no positive points and we don't have it good in a number of ways; I'd hate to be one of those pampered/unaware/hipster idiots who goes on about it as if it's on a par with Haiti.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sethasaurus

You can keep your money.
    When I'm fit enough to travel again, I'll happily pay the airfare to fly the fcuk out of this toilet.
    *ducks for cover*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

No way! I'd miss The Angelus too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Professor Knowall

Gladly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

No way! I'd miss The Angelus too much...

might console you while you're counting the cash

http://www.yourepeat.com/watch?v=kzRP7OKHcqQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Yeah. I would move to London and buy a nice apartment worth about a million. I would then get a part time job and travel every few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Yes.

I'd then buy a hover-board.
    Shut up and take my money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Could I return on horseback and lift rocks and what not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

A few years ago in the UK a Polish fella (I think) working in McDonalds won a couple of million in the Lotto and decided to stay in his job because he'd be bored otherwise and all his friends were there. To be honest anyone who wins that sort of coin and stays in that sort of work obviously has zero imagination.
    Of course you need to stay occupied, but why does it have to be in some sh*te job?

Why not go and do a university degree in philosophy or some crap?
    Why not go and learn to be a carpenter?
    Why not do rewarding voluntary work?
    Why not travel the world?

Any clown who stays in front of a fryer in McDonalds when he could be riding horses across the Pampas in Argentina is an arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭johnolocher

but.... why not leave then? You could probably earn that much more in a lifetimes work somewhere else.

Familia, if it was just my decision I would be elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

In a heartbeat...actually I'd do it for far less than 5m :p

Id be like that too if I was living in a foreign country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Why doesn't this have a poll? Have to trawl through the thread to see what peoples general opinion is!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭taato

Gosub wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the "hell yeah" brigade would deeply regret their decision. I left Ireland 12 years ago. I can go back any time I want and normally do twice a year. I'm selling everything I have here in sunny Spain and heading home as soon as I can. If I was offered 50 million to stay put and never set foot in Ireland I would probably deck the person making the offer.

I wonder if so many would be so keen if they had to completely break the link with Ireland. Could never say they were Irish and even be forced to claim another nationality. British? Australian? American? Thanks, but no thanks.

Gosh I know the spanish economy is banjaxed - but Ireland is just as bad and at least the weather is better in spain. I wouldn't be rushing back if I were you! What's so bad about spain that 50 million wouldn't persuade you to stay? Just curious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

taato wrote: »
    Gosh I know the spanish economy is banjaxed - but Ireland is just as bad and at least the weather is better in spain. I wouldn't be rushing back if I were you! What's so bad about spain that 50 million wouldn't persuade you to stay? Just curious
    Oh yes the weather's great, it's the only reason we lasted this long. The Spanish can be peculiar. I have been the victim of racist abuse many times. Anything from being openly called a 'guiri' to being denied the price of services offered to a Spanish national. I know it's petty stuff, but it all adds up.

Most people don't realise they are being treated unfairly when they come here on holiday. There are normally 'tourist prices' and prices for locals. The Spanish love paperwork and will bury you in it if you don't have a 'gestor' or solicitor to handle youir affairs. An example of the above is that it's basically the same procedure to transfer ownership of a car as it is to transfer a house to your name. There is a transfer tax for both too. They are getting worse now that they need money, the foreigners are now seen as the cash cow.

I will forever be an outsider here and the Spanish are quick to point that out. Another downside here is having to live among the "Laandan geezas" Everyone here from the UK seems to model themselves on Eastenders. They still drive their UK reg cars without any form of legal paperwork (tax, test, insurance, etc.). I own 2 Spanish registered cars and a boat. I get screwed at every turn. It took me 6 months to register a VW I imported from Germany ( I need an automatic and couldn't get what I wanted here) The test centre wanted me to prove it was type approved. It was a standard VW for jays sake!

Now look what you made me do. I didn't want to rant! But I could go on for hours. :D

Anyway. The business is sold and the house is on the market at realistic figure. I can't wait for the cold, dark, wet days in Ireland. At least I'll be able to banter with the locals. I won't be victimised by the local police. If I am being financially screwed at least I know my neighbours are too. If I employ a person to do some work I have a half chance of it being done correctly.

I'd better stop now :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Most people are not thinking about funerals, weddings and so on. They are sacrificing present friendships for monetary gain - not coming back ever would mean you would miss most of those events.
    No problem you can be "virtually present" just pay someone to attend the events with an ipad & facetime you, kind of like futurama with the heads in the jar, you can be the head in the ipad, with the added bonus of being able to press mute, or even go one more step, like the movie Surrogates buy a robot to attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

At the moment I'd flog both my mutton and my grandmother for €5 never mind five million of them, but I'd have to say no thanks even though there would be five million reasons to grab it and run.

The thought of never being able to return here would leave too big a hole in my psyche. I might call it a ****ty little country at times but it's my ****ty little country. I've lived in other countries but coming home and knowing that I could come home kept something inside me intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

If I were offered 5 million I would donate it to charity

this made me laugh...,:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

If i had no family, then yes i would be gone tomorrow and goodbye eire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

What a stupid question!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

Not a hope. I *love* going abroad and I'm always up for an adventure - and don't get me wrong, €5mill would be hard to turn down - but even the hypothetical thought of never being able to set foot in Ireland again is making me deeply sad! I love Ireland far too much. More to the point, I love Kerry (my homeplace) far too much.

If I was even allowed one week per year back in Ireland, that'd do. Caribbean paradise islands, how are ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deasyd

I don’t like many things about myself, but one of my favourite things is the fact that I’m Irish. It has such significance and I could never deny that part of me for any sum of money.

I could never accept not being able to set foot on Irish soil, breath in the Irish air and visit my beautiful hometown of Tramore, where so many happy memories live.

The thoughts of been given five million would certainly excite me, but what I’d have to sacrifice is just too great.

People still forget that money can’t buy you everything and that living in the sun is extremely overrated. I’m 27 years-old and I’m currently living in Melbourne and today it’s a sweltering 44 degrees with 76 per cent humidity.

That is tough going even lying on a deck chair and jumping in and out of the pool every so often, but try doing normal things like grocery shopping, going to work, commuting and simply walking down the street. Believe me, five million is not enough money to avoid doing all those things or getting someone to do it all for you.

I am shocked that so many people said yes. I’m astounded by their lack of patriotism. I understand that life in Ireland is tough at the moment, that people endeavour to struggle through a battle that seems never ending, but the truth is it will end. There is no-where else in the world that has the unique and wonderful qualities that Ireland has. From living in other places around the world I have noticed that Ireland has:

• Lovely greenery, grass (miss that here), fresh air.
    • Ambitious and well educated young people.
    • Craic and banter (The Aussies are minus craic altogether. The Irish sense of humour is epic).
    • We are friendly and chatty.
    • Gift of the gab.
    • Amazing story tellers.
    • Know how to party and have a good session.
    • We are romantic despite what others say.
    • We’ve a good work ethic.
    • We have morals.
    • We’ve got the whest!
    • Tommy Tiernan.
    • We actually have good fair prices.
    • Cheap alcohol.
    • Easy going way of life.
    • We do NOT have traffic congestion.
    • Nice beaches.
    • We’ve the Irish Mammy.
    • Variations in our season, a fire place in the home.
    • We have relatively loving and lasting relationships.
    • We have a good social welfare system compared to other countries I have lived.
    • Sing-songs after the pub.

The above is not an exhaustive list, but when I hear Song for Ireland, Ireland’s Call, our National Anthem and see our tri-colour dancing in the breeze at full mast my heart starts to pound. I get all patriotic and proud of my small but outstanding country, what we as Irish people have achieved and the mark we have made on the world for such a small country.

For those reasons and many more I couldn’t accept five million to never set foot in Éire again.
    Is grá liom Éire. Ni neart go cur le cheile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

just a free ryanair ticket will do and a spare pair of jocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

deasyd wrote: »
    I don’t like many things about myself, but one of my favourite things is the fact that I’m Irish. It has such significance and I could never deny that part of me for any sum of money.

I could never accept not being able to set foot on Irish soil, breath in the Irish air and visit my beautiful hometown of Tramore, where so many happy memories live.

The thoughts of been given five million would certainly excite me, but what I’d have to sacrifice is just too great.

People still forget that money can’t buy you everything and that living in the sun is extremely overrated. I’m 27 years-old and I’m currently living in Melbourne and today it’s a sweltering 44 degrees with 76 per cent humidity.

That is tough going even lying on a deck chair and jumping in and out of the pool every so often, but try doing normal things like grocery shopping, going to work, commuting and simply walking down the street. Believe me, five million is not enough money to avoid doing all those things or getting someone to do it all for you.

I am shocked that so many people said yes. I’m astounded by their lack of patriotism. I understand that life in Ireland is tough at the moment, that people endeavour to struggle through a battle that seems never ending, but the truth is it will end. There is no-where else in the world that has the unique and wonderful qualities that Ireland has. From living in other places around the world I have noticed that Ireland has:

• Lovely greenery, grass (miss that here), fresh air.
    • Ambitious and well educated young people.
    • Craic and banter (The Aussies are minus craic altogether. The Irish sense of humour is epic).
    • We are friendly and chatty.
    • Gift of the gab.
    • Amazing story tellers.
    • Know how to party and have a good session.
    • We are romantic despite what others say.
    • We’ve a good work ethic.
    • We have morals.
    • We’ve got the whest!
    • Tommy Tiernan.
    • We actually have good fair prices.
    • Cheap alcohol.
    • Easy going way of life.
    • We do NOT have traffic congestion.
    • Nice beaches.
    • We’ve the Irish Mammy.
    • Variations in our season, a fire place in the home.
    • We have relatively loving and lasting relationships.
    • We have a good social welfare system compared to other countries I have lived.
    • Sing-songs after the pub.

The above is not an exhaustive list, but when I hear Song for Ireland, Ireland’s Call, our National Anthem and see our tri-colour dancing in the breeze at full mast my heart starts to pound. I get all patriotic and proud of my small but outstanding country, what we as Irish people have achieved and the mark we have made on the world for such a small country.

For those reasons and many more I couldn’t accept five million to never set foot in Éire again.
    Is grá liom Éire. Ni neart go cur le cheile.

It's not 5 mil to live in the sun, it's 5 mil to leave ireland
    Live in england if you miss ireland so much, not a huge difference tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deasyd

It's not 5 mil to live in the sun, it's 5 mil to leave ireland
    Live in england if you miss ireland so much, not a huge difference tbh

I Never said the offer was five million to live in the sun, but most people that replied said that if they got five million they would live in a hot country or named a country that is hot. Obviously if they have to leave Ireland they are going to pick somewhere completely different.

Also, I think you're completely missing the point. The point I'm making is missing Ireland and not being apart of Ireland, being around other Irish people and the sense of home.

How would living in England help me not miss Ireland? They can be similar, but England is not Ireland. Therefore, I'd still miss Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Hahahahahahaha.....

Throw in an extra 500 euro and I'll make sure my children never set foot in Ireland either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I am slightly depressed but not entirely surprised by the majority of replies in this thread. I love Ireland and at the moment no amount of money could make me leave forever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

The Dagda wrote: »
    There's a joke there somewhere about Man City and not knowing the value of money...

And then he says this?? :confused:

Yes but I will donate money to charity and then.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

For that kind of money, I would not spend one hour longer in this country than I had to. Basically, Ireland has not a lot going for it and most people would love to just get the hell out of here if they had the opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

To answer your question OP, I would in me gee!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Yeah I'd do it for like 10K.

After a few months of living in your new better country you'll forget all about Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

good question OP..but i think id say no..love too many things about this place, the craic in your own local cant be beaten no matter what anyone says, and our sense of humour is unmatched!
    the money would dry out eventually anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

deasyd wrote: »
    I Never said the offer was five million to live in the sun, but most people that replied said that if they got five million they would live in a hot country or named a country that is hot. Obviously if they have to leave Ireland they are going to pick somewhere completely different.

Also, I think you're completely missing the point. The point I'm making is missing Ireland and not being apart of Ireland, being around other Irish people and the sense of home.

How would living in England help me not miss Ireland? They can be similar, but England is not Ireland. Therefore, I'd still miss Ireland.

As i've said before, it's just a piece of land. You might miss friends etc but you'll make new ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I don't suppose I could take the money, buy a mobility scooter, and promise never to touch the ground again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Don't need to think about it. ill be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I'm already at the airport, you can make the cheque out to Ms Zombie Bride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Not for all the money in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

As for those who dont want to work, I have yet to hear how you intend to fill your 16 hours waking days. You probably wont be able to join a nuveau rich set - they will scorn you. Possibly golf could take 4 hours. Do you read? Most people you know will not be available during the week, so what then?

Oh gawd. So much time and yet so little imagination, eh?

Someone I know is a trust fund baby and has about E 2,000.000 spending money at his disposal at any one time. I've known the guy more than a decade now and I don't think he's ever done a day's work in his life. I'd say the word 'work' is to him like the word 'disease' to us who don't have millions in the bank. Yet you will be surprised :rolleyes: to find out he hasn't done too bad out of life; flying lessons, Kilimanjaro a few times, trips around the world a few times, property in central London, south of Spain, and the Alps, membership of posh private clubs (you know the ones where the staff are really polite :pac:), self-improvement classes, dance classes, reading up about astrophysics (cos he likes it), eating good food at Michelin-starred places. Getting up whenever he feels like it, wherever he feels like it and fecking off to wherever he wants to go when the European winter gets too long and boring or the Asian climate gets too humid.

Tough siht for him though, he'll never experience all the many joys and pleasures of working for a living - I'm sure he secretly cries himself to sleep over it!! :D

In short, my answer to the question is "yes" as well (but then I'm not Irish, but then I don't feel any great connection to any country in particular at this point any more).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't think so. Ireland's my home, a place a I love dearly and full of the people I love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I take the money and then move to Tir Na Nog. Then I could come back on one of them horses that can travel over the sea. Mind you, I'd make sure the strap on the saddle is in good order. The last bloke that tried this fell off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

seenitall wrote: »
    Oh gawd. So much time and yet so little imagination, eh?

Someone I know is a trust fund baby and has about E 2,000.000 spending money at his disposal at any one time. I've known the guy more than a decade now and I don't think he's ever done a day's work in his life. I'd say the word 'work' is to him like the word 'disease' to us who don't have millions in the bank. Yet you will be surprised :rolleyes: to find out he hasn't done too bad out of life; flying lessons, Kilimanjaro a few times, trips around the world a few times, property in central London, south of Spain, and the Alps, membership of posh private clubs (you know the ones where the staff are really polite :pac:), self-improvement classes, dance classes, reading up about astrophysics (cos he likes it), eating good food at Michelin-starred places. Getting up whenever he feels like it, wherever he feels like it and fecking off to wherever he wants to go when the European winter gets too long and boring or the Asian climate gets too humid.

Tough siht for him though, he'll never experience all the many joys and pleasures of working for a living - I'm sure he secretly cries himself to sleep over it!! :D

In short, my answer to the question is "yes" as well (but then I'm not Irish, but then I don't feel any great connection to any country in particular at this point any more).

You're quite right. Anyone who says they'd get bored without a job hasn't got much of an imagination. There's a million things you could do and experience, all of them more fun than going in to work every morning to make some other fcuker rich.

As much as it would sadden me to think I could never come back I would take the money in a heartbeat. 5 million? It's a feckin no-brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Do I love here? I do. But for five million quid I'd be gone in a heartbeat. I'd hate not coming back, but honestly, it'd be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Being sick of home is no match for being homesick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Sorry, I must of missed it but how do I sign up for this? Is there like a website or something? If I missed the deadline, like half of the 5 million would do me either. Hello? 1 million? Just a wad of cash? Ok how much do I need to pay to just get the ticket out of here?

Advertisement