Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish adventurer Ian McKeever has died

Options
  • 03-01-2013 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0102/kilimanjaro-tanzania-death.html
    Irish adventurer Ian McKeever has died on Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.
    The 42-year-old was leading a group of climbers, including several people from Ireland, when it is believed they were struck by a lightning storm earlier today.
    It is understood his fiancée, Anna, was injured.
    Mr McKeever was a well-known figure in adventure sports and has attempted several world records, including the Seven Summits Challenge in 2007.
    The Department of Foreign Affairs is offering assistance from Dar es Salaam in Tanzania.

Loved hearing him on the radio.

May he rest in peace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭tom_k

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Sad news, got him hammered on a scout leaders weekend years ago...I'll never forget him singing "I feel like a woman" in front of 150 people. :D

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Climbed Kilimanjaro with him last July, was the most interesting and fun person I've ever met! He was so inspiring to people and always thought of how he could help others. He gave me such a life changing expereince climbing Kilimanjaro that I signed up to go again this July, and even convinced some friends to join us, but sadly looks like it won't be happening now.

Thanks for all life lessons, advice and laughs you gave on the mountain Ian, really going to miss you

RIP

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭shytan

Only met him twice you could run the country on his energy.My eldest was going with him to Kilimanjaro in may.Sad to see another good one go.R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

This was shocking news alright. I first remember hearing Ian McKeever doing AARoadwatch on Radio Ireland/Today FM. It was during that period that I first heard of one of his charitable challenges - a cycle around Ireland.

Over the last five or six years, I have heard of his hill-walking and mountaineering achievements, such as the 26-county peaks in Ireland and of course his incredible 7 Peaks Challenge (including Mount Everest).

A couple of years ago I heard Ian doing a few gigs on Dublin's Country Mix 106.8. He was without doubt a fine broadcaster.

Ian was a pretty unique guy and will be sorely missed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement