Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joanne Hayes - After the Kerry Babies

Options
  • 03-01-2013 3:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hello all,

I just finished 'A Woman to Blame: The Kerry Babies Case' by Nell McAfferty and it's an amazing read. I was born shortly afterwards and I never really understood the full story as it took so many twists and turns (heteropaternal superfecundation?) but the book makes it all clear.

If you're not familiar with the story, from wikipedia:
    The Kerry Babies case is an unsolved murder case dating from 1984 in Kerry, Ireland, that dominated the Irish headlines for some months during that year and resulted in a public Tribunal of Inquiry into the behaviour of the Garda Síochána during the investigation.

Joanne Hayes' experience and treatment was nothing short of prehistoric and this is well documented in the book but I'd like to know a brief bit about her life afterwards.

Obviously I don't want to know any specifics about her life and she's clearly more than entitled to her privacy but did she ever conduct an interview or write anything about her experiences afterwards? I'd find solace in the fact that she's doing okay now and that her first daughter Yvonne wasn't affected by the experience.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Leithman

The lady and her family are looking well as well as being entitled to their privacy ... and personally i think there is nothing to be gained from this thread .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Fruit1985 wrote: »
    nothing short of prehistoric and this is well documented in the book
    heh

Leithman wrote: »
    The lady and her family are looking well as well as being entitled to their privacy ... and personally i think there is nothing to be gained from this thread .

Kinda inclined to agree. I mean, I don't want to be seen to circle the wagons, and the OP is entitled to look to find out more about what was a shocking story...but perhaps a Justice forum might be a better bet, not the Kerry forum where many will remember the matter and may know the family or close friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

I lived in Abbeydorney for 10 years during the 90's. I knew the family and no-one in the village talked about it.

I didn't know for 5 years until it popped up on TV one night and I asked a few people what happened and I didn't get many answers.

The family (and the village) have moved on a long time ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Fruit1985

I didn't mean to offend. Feel free to move to another forum (I don't think I have the power.)

Again, I just want to know if Joanne wrote or documented anything about her experience afterwards. If she didn't, then that's fine.

Thanks,

K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

She definitely didn't do any interviews to my knowledge. Nobody talked about it in the village and nobody asked her either.
    Fruit1985 wrote: »
    I'd find solace in the fact that she's doing okay now and that her first daughter Yvonne wasn't affected by the experience.
    I saw Yvonne during Christmas with her friends and she was enjoying herself! She got married a few months ago so I'd say shes doing alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

There was a book called 'Joanne Hayes My Story', its probably out of print 25 years now. I have a copy somewhere if i remember rightly.
    Im sure if you hunt the net you'll turn up a copy somewhere.
    I had some dealings with Joanne over the summer and she is a lovely lady, and im sure she does not wish to be reminded of what went on 30 years ago nor should we drag this out on a public forum.

Its amazing how backwards this country was even 30 years ago.

If you personally wish to find out any more you can chase down the book.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement