Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about moving to Waterford!

Options
  • 03-01-2013 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

We are thinking about moving to Waterford city and need advice on areas/place to rent. We don't drive so would be looking for somewhere central, walking distance to buses/trains. Any advice on some nice areas/areas to avoid??? I am not a city girl and I am a bit apprehensive about moving to a city. First time posting in forum so please be nice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flutterby80

Hi,

We are thinking about moving to Waterford city and need advice on areas/place to rent. We don't drive so would be looking for somewhere central, walking distance to buses/trains. Any advice on some nice areas/areas to avoid??? I am not a city girl and I am a bit apprehensive about moving to a city. First time posting in forum so please be nice :)
    The Dunmore Road / Ballygunner area is on a regular bus route to the city centre and has lots of shops, pubs and restaurants so you wouldn't even need to go into town if you didn't want to on a day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

+1 on Flutterby80's suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FeatherFelicis

Hey I was in the same boat as you few years back I moved in from the country, Ive lived in several parts of Waterford and have found somewhere quiet and central. I'm living near the people park now for the last 3 years and its great, no noise, and the neighbors are lovely. So definitely anywhere there and Dunmore rd, that side of the town is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 orwellian

The newer part of Ballybeg is lovely there is quite a lot of local art on show and some of the gardens are interestingly adorned with modern sculpture and at night there is always a buzz .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Where are you moving from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 myselfNhimself

Thanks guys... I think we would prefer to be nearer the city but not right in it..if you know what I mean. Have looked at places in Grattan Quay, Slievekealle Rd, Mayors Walk, Parnell St, William St and Stephen St. What do you think of these areas? So much choice!

Ballybeg looks a bit out of the city..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Ballybeg is indeed a bit out of the city but not far enough. Poster #5 has a warped sense of humour as the only art installations would be flaming cars and the garden sculptures would be mattresses and broken washing machines. The buzz he is referring to is induced by Bulmers or whatever east european lager is procured from Aldi. Having said that though, it is full of characters. The only thing wrong with Ballybeg is that it is above sea level.

Ballybeg is indeed a bit out of the city but not far enough. Poster #5 has a warped sense of humour as the only art installations would be flaming cars and the garden sculptures would be mattresses and broken washing machines. The buzz he is referring to is induced by Bulmers or whatever east european lager is procured from Aldi. Having said that though, it is full of characters. The only thing wrong with Ballybeg is that it is above sea level.

Okay so I think I will bypass that area then :D

Whenever I have been looking for new places I always use google maps and drag the little man around to view the streets, buildings etc. You can rotate 360 degrees and move up and down the roads. I look for how well kept the street/area is and the age and quality of the cars as it sometimes gives a good indication of the people who live there. Would you rather live next door to a Subaru or a people carrier ? Check for litter, unmowed lawns, burning cars etc. Google street view is a few years old now but it could at least narrow down your search before seeing things for yourself. Always visit the places you favour at different times of the day as some places change when darkness falls. For my ten cents worth, I wouldnt live anywhere other than the Dunmore Road area. I have recently moved to Oz from Ballygunner and bar Farran Park I cant think of an area that it questionable. Some other parts of the city are very hit and miss as Waterford is so small and unfortunately you are never too far from 'characters'. Call me a snob but I wouldn't live within ten minutes walk of a council estate again. Too many undesireables walking past my door and no shotgun licence.

I have been doing as you said, looking at places on the map and dragging the 'little man' around, but there's only so much a photo can tell eh! Never thought to look for burning cars and the condition of the lawns on Streetview! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I moved to Waterford nigh on 16 years ago, I haven't looked back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

im here about 12 years..
    lived all over the place.. ardkeen is a decent enough area and has a 24hr tescos and a bus route into town..
    Hillview and around that area is the older part of the city, within walking distance to town but some of the houses are a bit old fashioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ferrybank is also another option, some lovely estates over here and not too far from the city centre, 10-15 minute walk and a regular bus route.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Your post is a disgrace and very hurtful to a lot of good people.
    I know because I have friends and relations from Ballybeg and I have done work there over the years and I was always paid in full. Again I say you are a disgrace how this tripe is allowed on boards I will never understand as it is so insulting to so many good people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Whenever I have been looking for new places I always use google maps and drag the little man around to view the streets, buildings etc. You can rotate 360 degrees and move up and down the roads. I look for how well kept the street/area is and the age and quality of the cars as it sometimes gives a good indication of the people who live there. Would you rather live next door to a Subaru or a people carrier ? Check for litter, unmowed lawns, burning cars etc. Google street view is a few years old now but it could at least narrow down your search before seeing things for yourself. Always visit the places you favour at different times of the day as some places change when darkness falls. For my ten cents worth, I wouldnt live anywhere other than the Dunmore Road area. I have recently moved to Oz from Ballygunner and bar Farran Park I cant think of an area that it questionable. Some other parts of the city are very hit and miss as Waterford is so small and unfortunately you are never too far from 'characters'. Call me a snob but I wouldn't live within ten minutes walk of a council estate again. Too many undesireables walking past my door and no shotgun licence.

You must have lived a very sheltered life. Ballybeg is far from what you make it out to be, as are all the other estates you mentioned. There are nice areas to live and not so nice areas to live, but i wouldnt discount anywhere just because people who dont know any better say its a kip

To be honest OP. The locals are the least of your worries. Areas that are normally full of students are the main areas to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Is there something mentally wrong with you? have you ever lived in Ballybeg are you from there? There is some good people out that way who by the way have nice houses with nice gardens and funnily enough their cars are not on fire and their washing machines are in their house not their gardens as you would suggest. The middle part of your user name really does describe you down to a T.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

OK, I think that's enough talk about Ballybeg.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Your post is a disgrace and very hurtful to a lot of good people.
    I know because I have friends and relations from Ballybeg and I have done work there over the years and I was always paid in full. Again I say you are a disgrace how this tripe is allowed on boards I will never understand as it is so insulting to so many good people.

Thanks God it is allowed, it's an opinion. Why on earth would someone be hurt by something they read on here??

Thanks God it is allowed, it's an opinion. Why on earth would someone be hurt by something they read on here??

If the OP is from there or has lived there and knows Ballybeg then he has a right to have a go about the place he is also having a go at the people its like me having a go at people from Ballymun because it has a bad name iv never been there so i dont really have a right to do that do i.

S28382 wrote: »
    If the OP is from there or has lived there and knows Ballybeg then he has a right to have a go about the place he is also having a go at the people its like me having a go at people from Ballymun because it has a bad name iv never been there so i dont really have a right to do that do i.

Yes you do, you have a right to free speech. Just like the people of Ballymun/Ballybeg/wherever would have a right to ignore you because you're an anonymous internet poster.

• Advertisement

How can you ignore ignorance?

S28382 wrote: »
    How can you ignore ignorance?

Ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I'm not 100% sure but i think there was a far worse post removed that was far more insulting. Either way every one is entitled to an opinion , but some people think they're far funnier than they actually are and you're only giving them exactly what they want by rising to their derisory comments.

Going back to the OP, the majority of Waterford is safe and reasonably quiet. You'd be better off asking about areas to avoid, cause you'll get a shorter list of places.Best thing to do would be to arrange a few viewings around in different areas and spend a week end or few days looking around. If you see a place you like call back to the area when its late and you'll soon see if its a decent enough place you want to stay in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Personally I think if you don't have a car and want to live somewhere nice, you should look at places around the People's Park, particularly the area around South Parade, Water St, Lower Newtown and John's Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Go to the RPII website and check out what areas in Waterford have the highest amounts of RADON GAS in it, Waterford has a high amount of Radon that causes lung cancer, There are alot of areas on the radon map that are in the red when it comes to the high level,

www.rpii.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

Thanks guys... I think we would prefer to be nearer the city but not right in it..if you know what I mean. Have looked at places in Grattan Quay, Slievekealle Rd, Mayors Walk, Parnell St, William St and Stephen St. What do you think of these areas? So much choice!

Ballybeg looks a bit out of the city..
    Slievekealle rd seems quiet wouldn't recommend grattan quay, Parnell street and mayors walk are on busy enough roads!

Thanks for all the replies. Have arranged to stay in the city for a couple of days to check it out. At least I can see what the night life is like! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Hmm Nightlife in January might be hard to find, too many livers recovering.
    Being honest its not the best place for nightlife of late anyway especially for people that don't know many people around.

Are you looking to rent a house / flat / apartment.

I lived in Adelphi Quay (near Scotch Quay) for a few years and it was perfect, 5 minute walk from town, and its quiet considering its centrally located.

Not somewhere you should be walking alone late at night, not that its an unsafe area but that goes for anywhere around any town / city.

A lot of nice apartments down around Grattan Quay area too.

A visit is a good idea so you can see what they are like at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

I have lived around the Bridge Street/Grattan Quay area for over a year now. The apartments here are usually to a great standard, but I would be weary of walking home at night, or going out after a certain time. That probably applies to a lot of places, but there is a good bit of trouble at night time, pretty noisy. For all I know that could be travelling from say O'Connell St. or so, but it is a noisy area in general to be very honest, and I would probably have picked somewhere a lot more out of the way if I knew before hand. It definitely isn't the worst, but I wouldn't pick it if I knew more either.

I would avoid areas with students personally, but if you don't mind the noise etc, then you're grand.

I would also personally avoid Penrose Lane. A lot of reasons there. Not very nice area, damp apartments, not a very desirable population, definitely not safe.

I moved from the middle of the country also.

• Advertisement

Lets be realistic here, the Op is from the country. Why on earth would would she want to live near a sprawling council estate with a dubious reputation, a burned out pub in the centre, a halting site on it's doorstep and nearby Templars Hall which seems to house out of control students ? The only thing that will make her feel at home is the travellers horses everywhere.
    I am a bit of a snob like I have said Dunmore Road is the place to check out first. There has been a few posts all pointing in that direction with not many singling out other areas. What does that say ?

Advertisement