Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about moving to Waterford!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Try the Rockshire road, nice area and close to town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Lets be realistic here, the Op is from the country. Why on earth would would she want to live near a sprawling council estate with a dubious reputation, a burned out pub in the centre, a halting site on it's doorstep and nearby Templars Hall which seems to house out of control students ? The only thing that will make her feel at home is the travellers horses everywhere.
    I am a bit of a snob like I have said Dunmore Road is the place to check out first. There has been a few posts all pointing in that direction with not many singling out other areas. What does that say ?

Have to agree with you on this one, theres constantly horses loose on the road out there, theres constantly fires in the 6 or 7 fields that are taken over by travellers which sometimes have horses in them when they arent loose on the road, theres always bins dumped on the roads, theres always travellers on horse and cart, the ballybeg area has a huge amount of social housing I'm sure some of whom are nice people but others seem to not give a fook cos theyre getting everything for free and you wouldnt want to walk through at night.

Hes only stating the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 myselfNhimself

@hearny I think ideally I would be renting a house 2 bedrooms. I think apartment blocks tend to be isolating. People don't tend to get to know their neighbours, I would want to get to know people in the area/make friends so I think a house might be the better solution...

@CuriousG Thanks for the advice, really helps

Lol @ travellers horses making me feel at home. The only horses I see are on the telly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭gw80

Have to agree with you on this one, theres constantly horses loose on the road out there, theres constantly fires in the 6 or 7 fields that are taken over by travellers which sometimes have horses in them when they arent loose on the road, theres always bins dumped on the roads, theres always travellers on horse and cart, the ballybeg area has a huge amount of social housing I'm sure some of whom are nice people but others seem to not give a fook cos theyre getting everything for free and you wouldnt want to walk through at night.

Hes only stating the obvious.

get a life, i was born and bred out in ballybeg and i wouldnt change that for anything,some very nice people out there,those people "getting everything for free" you can find on any estate, a lot of honest people with no airs or graces about them unlike people who live in "better estates", and you can say all you want about the place it does,nt really bother us, we,ve heard it all before.i had a great childhood in ballybeg,and id have no problem walking through at night,

• Advertisement

gw80 wrote: »
    get a life, i was born and bred out in ballybeg and i wouldnt change that for anything,some very nice people out there,those people "getting everything for free" you can find on any estate, a lot of honest people with no airs or graces about them unlike people who live in "better estates", and you can say all you want about the place it does,nt really bother us, we,ve heard it all before.i had a great childhood in ballybeg,and id have no problem walking through at night,

Oh you were born and bred out there so your not bias in any way then? seeing things through rose tinted glasses? ah sure we were poower but we were happy, When you read back on my post i did say there was probably some nice people living out there, but all the things i pointed out were relevant.

Lots of horses loose lots of bin bags flung all over the place, a burnt out pub, constantly fires being lit in the fields, sulky racing its all out there, how can you say that doesnt happen? you can walk through those places cos your known out that way and your family is known

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

phelo2121 wrote: »
    Slievekealle rd seems quiet wouldn't recommend grattan quay, Parnell street and mayors walk are on busy enough roads!

I live a couple of streets away from the slievekeale area and as you said its pretty quiet, not many robberies etc. Also there are stops for the number 1 and number 3 buses on Cannon St and I think there is a stop for the Hillview bus by Walsh Park.

Well we are down here now.. Come to the conclusion I wudnt want to live down by the river, loads of apartments down along marina way..forget what it's called up past tower hotel anyway...it is too isolated and quiet.. Saw some men in boats tonight wearing Darth vadar helmets...is that a regular occurrence in these parts :D

Oh you were born and bred out there so your not bias in any way then? seeing things through rose tinted glasses? ah sure we were poower but we were happy, When you read back on my post i did say there was probably some nice people living out there, but all the things i pointed out were relevant.

Lots of horses loose lots of bin bags flung all over the place, a burnt out pub, constantly fires being lit in the fields, sulky racing its all out there, how can you say that doesnt happen? you can walk through those places cos your known out that way and your family is known

:)yea of coarse im biased someone had to stand up for the place. but dont get me wrong i know it can be a bit rough out there too.
    and there,s no probably about it, me for example, im one of the nicest person you could meet;).

ps; whats sulky racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

gw80 wrote: »
    :)yea of coarse im biased someone had to stand up for the place. but dont get me wrong i know it can be a bit rough out there too.
    and there,s no probably about it, me for example, im one of the nicest person you could meet;).

ps; whats sulky racing?

http://www.johnsmyth.ie/blog/gallery/carrick/carrick-race.jpg?w=840

• Advertisement

Im from a bit of a **** hole too im proud of where i came from and theres nice people there and my family were well to do but under no circumstances would i say yeah its a great place to live and recommend people to go live there.

I thought everybody knew what sulky racing was, the creamers on the horse and carts racing each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Well we are down here now.. Come to the conclusion I wudnt want to live down by the river, loads of apartments down along marina way..forget what it's called up past tower hotel anyway...it is too isolated and quiet.. Saw some men in boats tonight wearing Darth vadar helmets...is that a regular occurrence in these parts :D
    There was a lot more of it twelve months ago until they found the half assembled death star in the halting site when they closed it to renovate it. Not as big a problem now their will is broken.

Im from a bit of a **** hole too im proud of where i came from and theres nice people there and my family were well to do but under no circumstances would i say yeah its a great place to live and recommend people to go live there.

I thought everybody knew what sulky racing was, the creamers on the horse and carts racing each other!

ah right, i just knew it as trap racing,to be fair i see more of that on the outer bypass between the six cross road and tesco ardkeen these days

god no, i wouldnt recomend any one who would,nt be used to living somewhere similar just to move in there not knowing what to expect, iv seen it a few times when people move in out there and in trying to fit in, get involved with the wrong people and it nearly always ended badly

Where is the OP from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

and welcome to H2Oford. It just might be worth taking a stroll out around the streets surrounding the park which is close enough to the tower. That area can get busy around school start/finish times but is quite nice otherwise and you are still within 5 mins of the centre of town.

Advertisement