Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Chicago

Options
  • 03-01-2013 3:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Anyone going to Chicago on a J1 this summer?

or anyone been before? Looking for any information really! Best places to live/find work/things to do etc..

90% sure we're set on Chicago, just slightly anxious that we're going in a small group (3/4 lads).. Ideally I'd like to get accommodation close to other J1er's so we don't miss out on any of the craic!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brendunn92

Hey i think me and a couple of my friends are goin too in the same boat tho only have 3/4 lads. I've herd that up around Wrigleyville is the spot to live? Would be handy to try share accommodation to get it cheaper if you were interested??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Around Wrigleyfield and neighbouring areas is where many students live as the university's are there. North Clark Street is a bit of a Temple Bar for nightlife especially when a game is on!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 barrett4

There is a group of us heading to Chicago in may for the summer? 4 girls and 2 lads...you's no were you's are going to stay yet?

Have nothing sorted yet but i think we will look somewhere around Wrigleyville. Have you anything sorted?

Nah nothing sorted yet we are think the same area our selfs..when you heading over? We're yas from??

• Advertisement

Were booking it today think round the 28th of may..all of us from wexford wbu??

Yeah we booking next week..all from Donegal so far might be 1r 2 coming from tipp...was chatting to a lad there that was over last summer and reckons live in north side wrigglyville be perfect..headin over round 22nd r something..you's booming with usit?

We trying to figure out is usit or sayit better ? Any ideas

barrett4 wrote: »
    We trying to figure out is usit or sayit better ? Any ideas

I don't think there is much difference really I know usit are the most recognised but all in around the same price really.. We booked with go4less no real reason just picked one and went for it! Only thing I'd say about go4less is you need to have 220 paid by feb!

So did you get booked up? Did u pick your own flights? Yah wouldn't mind me asking how much it going to cost yah?

• Advertisement

We only booked it last night, you had to pay 39 deposit and then you have to have 220 paid by the 4th of feb and send them a copy of your passport and some other form about where you're in college and ****. once they get all the forms then you can pick your flights and that. That was with go4less not sure how the others do it. and ya you pick your own flights, they let ya pick the same ones as your friends. who you thinking of booking it with?

We are thinking of going with usit? A lot people just saying go with them so needa meet the gang to work it all out..

Thats the easy part ha trying to find accommodation will be harder i think! i think all of them offer the same stuff really so you will be safe enough whoever you go with.

Yeah ano..I have been chatting to loads of people that were in Chicago and I have been told wrigglyville some1 told me she was there last year 24 of them in a 2 bedroom apartment ha..360 was al she payed for summer ..and she told me a hostel to stay in when we go over for 1st week until we find something

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Myself and hopefully 3 or 4 others are going to Chicago. Will be three of us at the very least. From Dublin, going with go4less. Up to date on the application so far, will have to book flight details soon though. Pretty stressful stuff trying to organise everything, especially with exams this month (doesn't help that we're in our last year of our degree, either :P)

Getting more and more excited, and scared, as the days go by! Cannot wait :D

Anybody heard of people staying in places other than Wriglyville before?

Yeah there is about 5r 6 of us going from Donegal? So you hear good reviews with go for less ??? You's boys or girls? Yeah stressful surly trying to pick who to go with and.well every1 I was chatting to said north side anyway in r around wrigglyville..all j1s go there..

Yeah ano..I have been chatting to loads of people that were in Chicago and I have been told wrigglyville some1 told me she was there last year 24 of them in a 2 bedroom apartment ha..360 was al she payed for summer ..and she told me a hostel to stay in when we go over for 1st week until we find something

Haha say that was some tidy spot by the end of the summer.. You would save some money tho doin it like that! Ohh ya? Whats that called?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PhilConnolly3

Hows it going..! Two of us booking it on thursday with Usit, going to Chicago aswel. USIT have a deal now if anyone hasnt booked it €99. Anybody looking to share Accomadation or has any info on jobs or anything, Two lads aged 22 heading over! Cheers

il get the name of that hostel for yah and get back to yah :) yeah id say was a nice clean aparment...yeah tink we gonna go with usit...i emailed loads of places about jobs and they said try irish bars as soon as we land out and only go in by urself cause they might only want 1 person and wont hire the other person so will say no to both.and navy pier is ment to be a good spot ..

Cheers :) yeah i herd the same just as long as you get over early things shouldnt be too bad! What date you thinking of headin over?

PhilConnolly all the info we have is on this thread ha..jobs seem to be easier to find around navy pier or in the irish bars. When ya headin over?

• Advertisement

I tink roughly round the 22nd ..would be handier for us al to meet and share be way cheaper:P the getaway hostel..it's apparently were u meet every1

I tink roughly round the 22nd ..would be handier for us al to meet and share be way cheaper:P the getaway hostel..it's apparently were u meet every1

Ya wel prob be over around the same time.. Ya for sure wouldn't have to be worrien about paying loads in rent ha! How much of you are headin over? Cheers for that :)

brendunn92 wrote: »

PhilConnolly all the info we have is on this thread ha..jobs seem to be easier to find around navy pier or in the irish bars. When ya headin over?

Cheers, eh booked it today flying into Chicago on the 28th of May.. found a few sites myself if yas havent seen these ones yet,

www.choosechicago.com for ideas of what to see/do here.

Chicago Reader has good apartment listings, but the market here is expensive. You should look at a sublet around DePaul, Loyola or Northwestern Universities; Craigslist has a lot of scammers.

Indeed.com has a lot of jobs << Got that from someone living in Chicago.

Yous all looking around lakeview wrigleyville to stay ??

Okay thanks for the Info..how much is it costing you ?? Yeah around wrigglyville somewhere:p try get a gang in a house save the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Yeah there is about 5r 6 of us going from Donegal? So you hear good reviews with go for less ??? You's boys or girls? Yeah stressful surly trying to pick who to go with and.well every1 I was chatting to said north side anyway in r around wrigglyville..all j1s go there..

Two lads, one girl. Possibly another girl or two, but ya know what it's like trying to get people on track! We went with go4less because USIT were quite unhelpful over the phone, go4less were that bit friendlier about the whole thing.

Still have to book our flights. Don't think we'll be getting into Chicago until 1st or 2nd of June, not exactly sure when our exams will finish, don't want to screw up there, y'know?

Hopefully when it gets closer to the time some of us can organise house sharing through this thread; a load of stuff to be done before then, though! Early days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

btw lads, found a facebook group for anyone heading to Chicago. Handy out! ;)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/118332658328900/

Okay thanks for the Info..how much is it costing you ?? Yeah around wrigglyville somewhere:p try get a gang in a house save the cost

€1,131.90 Flying with BA Dublin to London- London to Chicago on the 28th of May.. Then home from New York - London then London to Dublin on the 4th September.. ? How much it cost you ?

Yeh there is two of us going so we will be looking to share accommodation..havent really looked yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Is the Flight Engine available for anyone on Go4less yet?

No i think you need to have all them forms and stuff sent up to them before you can look at flights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

SantryRed wrote: »
    Is the Flight Engine available for anyone on Go4less yet?

Came on here to ask the same thing. I've been up to date with all the forms and payments and its still not available to me either. It says its not available to any goforless students yet though.

Advertisement