Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Chicago

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jonaldinho

5 lads all from Cork heading over on the 2nd of June. Cant wait now. All booked up, now just to hopefully pass the exams. Facebook group mentioned will be very handy. Not sure where to start looking for accommodation or jobs yet to be honest but buzzing for June to come. Will be 21 2 days after arriving so i suppose a session will have to be had then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brendunn92

We should all definitely meet up for a session when we get over there! Has everyone else booked there flights yet, how much are they costing ya if you dont mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Go4less flights up now.

Think I'm going to fly to Chicago, then fly home out of New York. Means we can travel for a bit and see New York before coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

For anyone who has booked flights - how does group booking work? Do you simply all individually book the same flight? Go4less are a bit of a nightmare with flights - telling you there's a deadline and not updating your account to access flights, and then not responding to emails. Trying not to tear my hair out D:

All we did was that we said the names etc and they tried as best as possible to put us on the same flights or very similar flights date wise etc.

Anyone else heading over into GAA? Me and a few of the lads were saying it would be good craic to play with a team over if it suits.

• Advertisement

jonaldinho wrote: »
    All we did was that we said the names etc and they tried as best as possible to put us on the same flights or very similar flights date wise etc.

Anyone else heading over into GAA? Me and a few of the lads were saying it would be good craic to play with a team over if it suits.

I play football but would be willing to give GAA a go over there to keep fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Booked flights yesterday, and the four of us got an email today at noon saying we've to pay the full balance by tomorrow noon. Apparently this clause was in the terms of the flights we booked, but it did not appear for any of us when we read through the t&c. Which now are unavailable, of course.

Go4less expecting us to pay almost 700 euro, within 24 hours notice. No bother lads, we're only students after all.

Disaster.

I sincerely hope things are going better for the rest of yis!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brendunn92

What?? how can they do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

I'm going over to play hurling for the summer. The team and job is located down south though but I visited friends in Loyola which is north last year anf it's amazing. If anyone interested in getting an apartment in Loyola let me know. The amazing beach there is unreal and only a few stops on the redline to partying spots in wrigleyville! I'm flying out on May 24th. Keep in touch

• Registered Users Posts: 13 barrett4

We are booking ours tomoro night:P any of yas get any further with yours??? What price it costing yas?? I wouldn't mind going over to play footy myself be good Craic hi

• Advertisement

Is there a GAA club over there near Wrigleyville?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 barrett4

SantryRed wrote: »
    **** couldn't tell yah:L might not have time to party if we play footy ha

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

It is mostly hurling played in Chicago. 4 big senior hurling clubs, Limerick club close towrigleyvilleand. the other 3 are down south. I think there is some junior football clubs tho, not sure where!!'

Very hard to play gaa in 35degrees trust me!!'

a few questions on the embassy interview - as regards the ds-160 form - when filling it out online do i have to upload a photo and then also bring one with me as it says on all the guides or do i just bring photos? Anyone been to the embassy yet? Whats the interview like if so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sashman

Anyone know where Wolfe tones gaa are in Chicago?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

Sashman wrote: »
    Anyone know where Wolfe tones gaa are in Chicago?
    All the GAA games are played out of Gaelic Park, which is a 40 minute drive south from downtown. The GAA teams train in various parks during the weeks (there are a lot of free sporting facilities in the city like pitches etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 toliveistodie

Hey guys, myself and 2 friends (all lads) are heading over on a J1 to Chicago as well. Twould be great if all of us kept in contact when over there, we might be able to help each other out on the accommodation front. Or else just meet up for a few pints! Anyone know what hostels they intend to stay at initially?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Hey guys, myself and 2 friends (all lads) are heading over on a J1 to Chicago as well. Twould be great if all of us kept in contact when over there, we might be able to help each other out on the accommodation front. Or else just meet up for a few pints! Anyone know what hostels they intend to stay at initially?

hey man, you should join this group on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/118332658328900/

we're heading out on the 26th of May and staying in the Gateway Hostel for a few days until we sort accomodation. (Doubt we'll sort anything before getting out there)
    The place has great reviews anyway, and will be full of J1'ers.
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g35805-d265222-Reviews-Chicago_Getaway_Hostel-Chicago_Illinois.html

The facebook link won't work, it says content not found?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

SantryRed wrote: »

Two big clubs are Padraig Pearces and McBrides. Bout half an hour from wrigley. Pearces made it to North American Championship final last year.

Chicago is great, you'll all have a great time.

Huge J1 place these days and DePaul (one of the big colleges) don't supply to must students from last year so has flooded the market a bit so apartments can be tricky to find. But the best places to stay are anywhere on the red line between fullerton and sheridan. For cheaper accomodation and easier to find head up to rogers park (still on red line), bit further away from anything but still a nice area.

If anyone has any other questions feel free to post up i'll do my best to answer them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

Im on exchange here in DePaul Chicago since August, it's a great city! Living in Lincoln Park and staying on for the Summer! I'd be happy to answer any questions so feel free to send me a pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 j12013

Im pretty sure any of Lincoln Park, Lakeview and Wrigley are where its at this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 j12013

Lincoln Park!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Katie28G

Hey,
    Me and my friend are heading over on the 20th of may!.. Im only 20, so do any of ye no what their like with id or where i could get a fake one!.. Feel like a underager again!.. :(
    Thanks for yer help!.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Langdon Alger

any one had any luck with accommodation yet, finding it very hard to find anything

Myself and two lads heading over on 2nd June. No accommodation or jobs sorted yet. Anyone any tips on where to look etc?

Up for playing a bit of GAA over too. Anyone know any clubs to join?

Anyone have any luck with jobs yet?

Anyone who went last year - where's good to apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

If you check on Craig's List, you should be able to sublet a room from a college student for the summer: http://chicago.craigslist.org

Old Town, Lincoln Park, Lakeview/Southport and Wrigleyville is where a lot of people like to go and these neighborhoods are lively and pretty safe. The downside is, they are relatively expensive, and most people are not short-term renters there. To use a Dublin comparison, Lincoln Park is kind of D4-ish, while Southport is more like Ranelagh: both are nice areas but are going to be a bit more expensive, and everyone who doesn't live there likes to make fun of people in Lincoln Park. :)

Students cluster in the more raucous hipster-y areas that are cheaper, but can be a bit more sketchy: Bucktown/Ukranian Village, Logan Square, and increasingly, East Pilsen.

Wicker Park is kind of the 'in between' option: not as yuppie-ish as Lincoln Park, but getting there. There are also a lot of student summer sublets in Hyde Park: it is one of the few safe areas on the south side, and it is right on the lake, but there aren't many bars, and it is more family-oriented and quiet. It is also easy to get downtown for work on the bus or commuter rail during weekdays (15-minute commute, or you can use the bikepath, if you are feeling ambitious), but you are kind of isolated from the rest of the city on nights and weekends unless you have a car.

A lot of the apartments in Chicago will have big back decks and/or yards - something to keep in mind if you aren't 21, and will want (need) to party at home. If you can avoid it, don't rent a place that doesn't have a porch or yard: one of the best things about being in Chicago in the summertime is having friends over for beer and BBQ!

Absolutely unbelievable city!

Finding it very tough to find accommodation though! Tonnes of places, but few landlords will give 3 month leases.
    Anyone have any luck yet?

• Advertisement

Whats the best place to get a job if your a lad?

Advertisement