Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Parking Issue - When is Enough Enough ?

Options
  • 03-01-2013 6:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, to pick your collective brains if I may....

My next door neighbours are newish as in 18 months or so. They are a respectable professional couple in their late 30's with a young daughter of I'd say 10 or thereabouts. They mostly keep to themselves, cause no issues as neighbours aside from what I am going to speak about here, always cheerful say hello etc. happy days....

They do not own a car however they do have their own driveway and ample on street parking is available. They get visited daily by her mother, again on the face of it a very pleasant person from the odd hello we share but she has this habit of parking and partially blocking my driveway to the extent I have to knock at the door and ask her to move up... My record is 3 times in one week and on consecutive days. Always very apologetic yet mumbles something about always forgetting, been a long day or somone had to go to the dentist etc. The mother is btw not some doddery old soul but a school principal ! basically my patience is running so ****ing low at this point. Added to this when they have guests say other parents collecting kids who are visiting their daughter they will pull the same ****, inside for half an hour for some tea and a chat before removing their vehicle that they have dumped outside my gate with 2 car lengths in front of them free. Ive had to knock again to get the car removed and on other occasions waited patiently with coat on and keys in hand staring out the window trying to keep the peace and neighbourly composure while im already late for being some place. I think it must be just this 'me' generation thing that's very prevelant in society these days but either way I'm just tempted to start documenting this stuff for a start. My mates sister is in the guards and reckons as its been going on a while and as I talked to them about it before I should just forget it and call the local station next time it happens so at least they will get a warning first up. My other half... Well she is more diplomatic and disagrees. My instinct too in a way is to get on with people but when others just makes life hard through not thinking or just being inconsiderate like that..

So any similar stories ? Opinions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Would you consider parking outside your own drive for a while? Get the mother and other visitors into a habit of having to park actually in their driveway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I wouldn't go to the guards, personally. Could you start parking outside your own gate, where you can't get blocked? I know you shouldn't have to, but in the interests of keeping the peace and minimizing inconvenience etc etc..

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

Given that the wife's mother and other visitors seem to end up blocking your driveway regularly, there seems to be a fundamental design error with the layout of both driveways and/or the space in between.

I'd suggest raising the matter with your neighbours at an opportune time but in a friendly and absolutely non confrontational "how can we solve this" manner. Pitch it in a jovial way so that you're saying "Jesus, you're probably sick of the sight of me strolling up your driveway and I feel like a door to door salesmen at this stage - How can we stop these headtheballs (don't tell your mother in law I called her that) blocking the place up?"

More extreme "solution" would be to put down a trafffic cone, but that could potentially sour what seems to be an okay relationship (plus it's a bit council house-ish).

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

i agree with the above great idea parking yer car out front for a bit...some my friends who used to do a simular thing when visiting me..it ment me mum couldnt get out and ye had the whole 'will ye let me out thing'...yea park at yer spot where the mother blocks or maybe even have a bin there when u have it out for the collection day, maybe even leave bin there bring it in the next evening, kinda just resets the boundary's a bit so yer not invisible

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need to make a point. One that inconveniences people so the point is heard.

If only you could park outside their driveway to inconvenience them - but they don't have a car. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Put up a No Parking sign, either on your wall or the gate (make sure it is clearly visible). Had a similar situation years ago, people on the street had visitors, they would park in front of the drive (with a car in the drive) or even in the drive on one occasion (a car load of people just sitting in my drive????). Even my neighbours parents would park in front of my drive and not their sons!!
    I had to knock on doors to find out who owned the car and then wait for them to eventually move off, no one was ever in a hurry.
    I put up a sign and called the Clampers who towed them away (ok might seem extreme but I had to get to work, keeping my job was a priority rather than keeping peace with the neighbours), the problem stopped after a matter of days. I know you don't want issues with your neighbours but I found this to be the only solution, sadly talking didn't work as no one really cared and couldn't see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you have already had the friendly chat about it have you considered having the not so friendly chat? Next time it happens let them see your frustration; we've spoken about this before and quite frankly I'm getting sick of your visitors blocking my drove and making me late. Drop the nicities; they are obviously not working. These people have no consideration for you whatsoever.

Why are their guests parking on the road at all if there is a driveway free for them to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Strumms wrote: »
    My other half... Well she is more diplomatic and disagrees.
    Your wife is doing a fine job of making you a doormat. F**k being a nice neighbour; they're being ****s.

Next time you knock in, don't use the bell, but hammer on the door until they open it, and demand (as opposed to ask) that they move their car as it's in your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

wtlltw wrote: »
    I put up a sign and called the Clampers who towed them away
    please explain this because until you do im callin it what it is, a straight up lie....

OP i feel your pain, best solution does seem to be parking outside your own gate for a couple of weeks

aaakev wrote: »
    please explain this because until you do im callin it what it is, a straight up lie....

OP i feel your pain, best solution does seem to be parking outside your own gate for a couple of weeks

The best solution is to tell the neighbours in no uncertain terms to **** off with themselves. Why should the OP put themselves out in this situation? Its almost certainly not going to change anything.

I agree with you about the clampers/towing nonsense; if a private individual or company were to tow a car they would be leaving themselves open to a charge of car theft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

the_syco wrote: »
    Your wife is doing a fine job of making you a doormat. F**k being a nice neighbour; they're being ****s.

Next time you knock in, don't use the bell, but hammer on the door until they open it, and demand (as opposed to ask) that they move their car as it's in your way.

Yeah, don't do that. It's ridiculously aggressive, won't improve your situation and will just mean you've now alienated neighbours that you are pretty happy with, apart from the parking situation.

In the long-term, it's much, much better to have neighbours that you're on at least smiling/nodding terms with than neighbours that you're forced to ignore on a daily basis through overreacting to a fairly common situation.

If they seem nice and are apologetic when you do call in, that's a good start, some people really are just oblivious (call it selfishness or whatever) to things like this and, to be fair, it seems to be the mother more than the neighbours themselves.

If possible, I would suggest initially parking outside your own house (for a short while) just to break the habit. If this (or a cone or a bin) isn't possible, it might be worthwhile knocking in to talk to them before it happens i.e. not when you're looking to get a car moved and ask them to speak to their relatives/friends to use their driveway/not block yours, etc.

For your own sake, it really is better to get on with your neighbours and from what you say, it seems that they're obliviously inconsiderate, rather than intentionally so.

Sacksian wrote: »
    For your own sake, it really is better to get on with your neighbours and from what you say, it seems that they're obliviously inconsiderate, rather than intentionally so.

Oblivious or intentional, it doesnt really matter; this is not an isolated incident and by the sounds of it it happens on a very regular basis. Eventually the time for politeness and passive action has to end. These people have been asked nicely to cut it out and they havent done so. The longer you tiptoe around it the less likely they are to take you seriously. I know its never a good idea to start a battle with your neighbors, but eventually the time comes when strong words are needed. What happens if the next time they cant get the car out its when they have a medical emergency and do not have time to go knocking on next doors front door to ask their arsehole guest to move their car?

djimi wrote: »

The best solution is to tell the neighbours in no uncertain terms to **** off with themselves. Why should the OP put themselves out in this situation? Its almost certainly not going to change anything.

I agree with you about the clampers/towing nonsense; if a private individual or company were to tow a car they would be leaving themselves open to a charge of car theft.
    I dont agree, i wouldnt make a big deal out if it yet for the sake of an easy life with otherwise good neighbours, id try the subtle approach first

Edit; i got sidetracked with the liar a few posts back so went and re-read the OP, changed my mind they have been asked nicely enough times....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

aaakev wrote: »

No lie, I lived on a permit parking street, contacted the clampers telling them my drive was obstructed and they lifted and towed the car causing the obstruction away. This was 9-10 years ago, maybe times have changed, but that is the way I dealt with the problem and it worked.

No lie, I lived on a permit parking street, contacted the clampers telling them my drive was obstructed and they lifted and towed the car causing the obstruction away. This was 9-10 years ago, maybe times have changed, but that is the way I dealt with the problem and it worked.
    im 27 so im not gonna claim to know how these things worked back then but im not too sure things have changed because id be pretty sure 10 years ago a private company could not tow away someones car on the request if a neighbour, they would be charged with steeling just like if they did it today...

It depends on whether or not they are working on behalf of the council. At the request of the council clamping and towing is perfectly legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No lie, I lived on a permit parking street
    This is why you were able to have the other car taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

djimi wrote: »
    If you have already had the friendly chat about it have you considered having the not so friendly chat? Next time it happens let them see your frustration; we've spoken about this before and quite frankly I'm getting sick of your visitors blocking my drove and making me late. Drop the nicities; they are obviously not working. These people have no consideration for you whatsoever.

Why are their guests parking on the road at all if there is a driveway free for them to use?

That approach could work but I would try something else first.

OP, I am guessing that you are being too nice to your neighbours, who are constantly inconveniencing you. It seems obvious from your post that you have been extremely patient with them and that they are slowly and unintentionally making you very, very irritated with these constant and unreasonable inconveniences.

What you have to realise is that your otherwise nice neighbours are not being very nice to you. They are already aware of your difficulty and they have taken no steps to rectify the situation. They think it's *grand*. They think that you are a very understanding neighbour and that you also think it's *grand* every time they give some empty apology for upsetting you again. They are obviously a bit heedless, at the least.

They are still your neighbours, and after this dispute has resolved, you will still have to live next to them. You can still be somewhat diplomatic, and it would be best to go for a sliding scale of action.

Try the following:

1. Next time, as soon as you see one of their guest's cars obstructing your drive, call in and get them to move. Don't wait, act immediately. And don't smile at them and tell them it's grand when they apologise again. It's not grand. Don't let them think it's grand. Be polite, but don't be too nice about it next time. They should feel bad about making you move them once again.

2. If it happens one more time, you will have to ask them to move again. This time you have to have a direct conversation with them and tell them exactly how annoying the whole situation is. You will have to ask them to ensure that their guests do not obstruct your driveway.

3. If it happens again after that, they are making a fool of you completely. I'd consider having the local authority move whatever car obstructs your drive and your neighbours and their guests deal with the consequences. (EDIT: Actually, I would be very slow to do this with a neighbour, but it may be an option for you.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

padz wrote: »
    i agree with the above great idea parking yer car out front for a bit...some my friends who used to do a simular thing when visiting me..it ment me mum couldnt get out and ye had the whole 'will ye let me out thing'...yea park at yer spot where the mother blocks or maybe even have a bin there when u have it out for the collection day, maybe even leave bin there bring it in the next evening, kinda just resets the boundary's a bit so yer not invisible

Padz- a little more punctuation and less of the txt speak please.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭looters

Ok, to pick your collective brains if I may....

My next door neighbours are newish as in 18 months or so. They are a respectable professional couple in their late 30's with a young daughter of I'd say 10 or thereabouts. They mostly keep to themselves, cause no issues as neighbours aside from what I am going to speak about here, always cheerful say hello etc. happy days....

They do not own a car however they do have their own driveway and ample on street parking is available. They get visited daily by her mother, again on the face of it a very pleasant person from the odd hello we share but she has this habit of parking and partially blocking my driveway to the extent I have to knock at the door and ask her to move up... My record is 3 times in one week and on consecutive days. Always very apologetic yet mumbles something about always forgetting, been a long day or somone had to go to the dentist etc. The mother is btw not some doddery old soul but a school principal ! basically my patience is running so ****ing low at this point. Added to this when they have guests say other parents collecting kids who are visiting their daughter they will pull the same ****, inside for half an hour for some tea and a chat before removing their vehicle that they have dumped outside my gate with 2 car lengths in front of them free. Ive had to knock again to get the car removed and on other occasions waited patiently with coat on and keys in hand staring out the window trying to keep the peace and neighbourly composure while im already late for being some place. I think it must be just this 'me' generation thing that's very prevelant in society these days but either way I'm just tempted to start documenting this stuff for a start. My mates sister is in the guards and reckons as its been going on a while and as I talked to them about it before I should just forget it and call the local station next time it happens so at least they will get a warning first up. My other half... Well she is more diplomatic and disagrees. My instinct too in a way is to get on with people but when others just makes life hard through not thinking or just being inconsiderate like that..

So any similar stories ? Opinions ?

I think if you learn to use paragraphs and spell she might stop parking in front of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Well, I see ok, so thats what you think is it ? In that case if I were you I'd try thinking' a little less so, if you reckon thats how things work :) It doesn't seem to suit you this thinking does it and it certainly doesn't add any valuable contribution to this thread but look at you anyway.. coming onto the Internet there and saying something so people will pay attention to you, good man :)

To the rest of you... Thank you for for your ideas folks. Won't take up the option of parking on the street as from a security standpoint overnight my car is more secure in my driveway behind locked gates.

In hindsight my attempts to maintain a neighbourly relationship with people who although most likely obliviously have not acted in an all that neighbourly manner as regards this issue have exhausted as of now. Next time it will be a more frank conversation and should that not have the desired effect long term I will have no problem documenting each occurrence and subsequently getting the guards involved. This would be a last resort but when you give people enough hints and the opportunity to do the right thing there isn't much left to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Make a fake clamp out of yellow cardboard and Blu-tak a notice to the driver's window. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Difference Engine

Instead of putting out cones or bins in front of the house I have seen some people put out small trees in plastic plant pots with reflective stickers on them.

They look a bit better and wont cause any damage if someone drives into it. In fact I saw someone apologise for reversing into one of the trees. I don't know how practical that is for you but it's an idea. You could even let the neighbours know why you're doing it, kinda like I'm putting these out to make that crowd park right so I won't have to be bothering you guys anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

They are making a fool out of you OP

Give them one more chance and then next time you have a serious talk with them.

Get it off your chest or one day the frustration will keep building and building and you'll end up hammering at their door and roaring at them.

Just get it out and say what you want to say.
    It doesn't have to be a nasty conversation, just a very serious one and that you're sick of it all, what are they messing at?
    Won't take up the option of parking on the street as from a security standpoint overnight my car is more secure in my driveway behind locked gates.

You don't have to leave it out there overnight

Just for a few hours in the evenings and also during your days off work

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Victor wrote: »
    Make a fake clamp out of yellow cardboard and Blu-tak a notice to the driver's window. :pac:

Haha no even better my own clamp for real ! I could just pretend I lost the keys and that 200 quid might help me remember where I left them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Next time they park outside your house call in and ask them to move their car up as you need to "move" your car.
    When they move the car do one of two things.
    If they are still sitting in their car waiting for you to "move" your car make it look like you have left your keys inside the house and go back inside. Close the door and watch how long they will sit in their car waiting for you to come back out. If they start to move their car back up, suddenly reappear as they get out of their car.
    Or when they move, just move your car onto the road and park just short of their driveway and go back inside.
    My father in law had terrible trouble with similar neighbours who would block him in and not block their own driveway so we just messed with their heads like this for a few weeks and they eventually got the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭finnigan

I had a similar problem with a neighbor.
    Her car parked in drive and his van on street. He used to half block my drive to give his wife enough room to get out! With the room he had to give her, it seem she could not manoeuvre her own car competently. I asked (reasonably nicely) more then once for him to move his van and keep my drive clear. Over time it always slowly creeped back.
    One Sunday, after i had been working a very long shift, I came home to find a strange car completely blocking both mine and my other neighbors drives. I asked her was it her car and she told me it was not and she had tried to find out who owns it but failed.
    Car was parked at approx 2pm, I returned home at 7pm. At about 9pm i hear engine starting and ran out door to find the van driver and his family waving to the car as it drove away.
    I got extremely angry with him. I had to keep my hands in my pockets to stop myself from doing something stupid. Basically I called him an ignorant sh*t (and a few more choice names) and he not care about any of his neighbors.
    Maybe I over-reacted a wee bit but nobody blocks my driveway anymore!
    Sorry for long post but maybe its time you got a little angry next time someone blocks your drive. It seems to help people to remember ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

just call the guards adn tell them there is a car blaockign your drive, thet'll get it towed.

my Brother leaves clsoe to Dundrum Shopping Centre and is often getting cars blocking his drive.

just one call and there up to remove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I wouldn't go to the guards, personally. Could you start parking outside your own gate, where you can't get blocked? I know you shouldn't have to, but in the interests of keeping the peace and minimizing inconvenience etc etc..

I don't get this. Blocking someone drive is illegal as far as I know. Doing a couple of times is one thing. Doing it constantly is another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't get this. Blocking someone drive is illegal as far as I know.

You are correct. It is illegal, under Article 36(2)(g) of these parking regulations.
    36(2)(g) A vehicle shall not be parked in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises

The OP would be within his rights to call the Gardai or the local authority and ask them to tow a vehicle which was blocking his driveway.

Advertisement