Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Parking Issue - When is Enough Enough ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You could mention it to the neighbours that you know its not their fault, as its not their car. But just to warn them you're going to call the guards and get the cars towed in future. I assume the car owner would have to pay a fine then. Which is the only thing that's going to stop someone in the habit of being a idiot when they park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

OP,
    I despair at the keyboard warriors here urging you to go straight to the nuclear option and create a probably permanent divide with your neighbours. Its too easy to suggest this when you don't have to live with the consequences. Now maybe they are nasty passive-agressive people and you will end up there but you should attempt a less divisive solution first.

I've just re-read your first post and, as you describe it, it appears that you have only spoken to you neighbours on the matter when a car has actually been blocking the drive, to request that it be moved. This may have failed to convey to them how inconveniencing and annoying the ongoing nature of the issue has become. If you genuinely have not done so already, I would approach them about the parking issue when there is no car there. This should show them that is a serious issue with you, if they have any cop on. And in this conversation, politely but firmly point out that it is illegal and that you could call the guards " ...but obviously I don't want to start doing that!".

A small no parking sign on your gate or gate pillar might also aid the 'forgetful' mother-in-law in a non-confrontational way, allowing everyone to stay on speaking terms. Actually, a good approach might be to do this first and then use it to raise the topic with them, saying that you are just providing a helpful reminder to their regular vistor.

This might fail and you might end up escalating things but for the sake of long term good relations, it would seem to me to be worth an extra week's effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They'd need to be as thick as plank not to know its an issue if its been going on for 18 months and up to "... 3 times in one week and on consecutive days...."

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

xper wrote: »
    OP,
    I despair at the keyboard warriors here urging you to go straight to the nuclear option and create a probably permanent divide with your neighbours. Its too easy to suggest this when you don't have to live with the consequences. Now maybe they are nasty passive-agressive people and you will end up there but you should attempt a less divisive solution first.

I've just re-read your first post and, as you describe it, it appears that you have only spoken to you neighbours on the matter when a car has actually been blocking the drive, to request that it be moved. This may have failed to convey to them how inconveniencing and annoying the ongoing nature of the issue has become. If you genuinely have not done so already, I would approach them about the parking issue when there is no car there. This should show them that is a serious issue with you, if they have any cop on. And in this conversation, politely but firmly point out that it is illegal and that you could call the guards " ...but obviously I don't want to start doing that!".

A small no parking sign on your gate or gate pillar might also aid the 'forgetful' mother-in-law in a non-confrontational way, allowing everyone to stay on speaking terms. Actually, a good approach might be to do this first and then use it to raise the topic with them, saying that you are just providing a helpful reminder to their regular vistor.

This might fail and you might end up escalating things but for the sake of long term good relations, it would seem to me to be worth an extra week's effort.

This is, by far, the most sensible post on the entire thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Everytime you see her car there get in to yours and attempt to leave, call in nice as pie and ask them to move, simply go around the block, come back and repark in your driveway. If they block again, repeat, repeat, repeat, at all times being nice as pie, if they don't get the message after 10 times they are muppets and you should move house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

they are muppets and you should move house.

:D:D:pac::pac:

By far the silliest post on this thread! Very funny though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Seeing as they don't have a car, just park in the neighbours drive all the time, the visitors can then continue to park in front of your drive. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

The Dagda wrote: »
    Seeing as they don't have a car, just park in the neighbours drive all the time, the visitors can then continue to park in front of your drive. Problem solved.

:D LMAO , you beat me to it, was going to suggest that, I would do it just to see what their reaction would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

That approach could work but I would try something else first.

OP, I am guessing that you are being too nice to your neighbours, who are constantly inconveniencing you. It seems obvious from your post that you have been extremely patient with them and that they are slowly and unintentionally making you very, very irritated with these constant and unreasonable inconveniences.

What you have to realise is that your otherwise nice neighbours are not being very nice to you. They are already aware of your difficulty and they have taken no steps to rectify the situation. They think it's *grand*. They think that you are a very understanding neighbour and that you also think it's *grand* every time they give some empty apology for upsetting you again. They are obviously a bit heedless, at the least.

They are still your neighbours, and after this dispute has resolved, you will still have to live next to them. You can still be somewhat diplomatic, and it would be best to go for a sliding scale of action.

Try the following:

1. Next time, as soon as you see one of their guest's cars obstructing your drive, call in and get them to move. Don't wait, act immediately. And don't smile at them and tell them it's grand when they apologise again. It's not grand. Don't let them think it's grand. Be polite, but don't be too nice about it next time. They should feel bad about making you move them once again.

2. If it happens one more time, you will have to ask them to move again. This time you have to have a direct conversation with them and tell them exactly how annoying the whole situation is. You will have to ask them to ensure that their guests do not obstruct your driveway.

3. If it happens again after that, they are making a fool of you completely. I'd consider having the local authority move whatever car obstructs your drive and your neighbours and their guests deal with the consequences. (EDIT: Actually, I would be very slow to do this with a neighbour, but it may be an option for you.)

I had an almost identical situation as the OPa few months ago, and did those steps 1, 2, and 3, I had to call the gardai out, they came within an hour and spoke to the neighbours informing them that it's illegal to block a person in. There guests don't block us in anymore. You have to nip it in the bud now before you ended up having a major row with your neighbours that may get out of hand

Advertisement