Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helping a family friend

Options
  • 03-01-2013 6:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I have a friend whose family are being evicted unfairly because of their neighbors mission to get them kicked out these neighbors have called the gardai on these people numerous sometimes for no reason and of course sometimes the people in my friends house can b loud but these neighbors have exaggerated the noise and what they call abuse is people defending themselves they have called these people knackers all names under the sun and then got the prtb on them without them knowing got an eviction letter to leave by jan 11th they have lived here for 2years built a life here kids love the area what can they do the lanlord is also being a tool. pleasegive me a reply asap

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

There are two sides to every story.

I'd be surprised if the neighbours are contacting the Gardai and the PRTB unless your friend's family are troublemakers.

"of course sometimes the people in my friend's house can be loud"

Why "of course"? At what times are they loud? And in what way is the landlord "being a tool"? And if the neihbours are calling the Gardai "for no reason", surely they'd be on the hook for wasting police time? An eviction is usually the last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 yungwan1k94

There are two sides to every story.

I'd be surprised if the neighbours are contacting the Gardai and the PRTB unless your friend's family are troublemakers.
    the gardai came the day i went up there and to stop wasting police time with this nonsense and that they could file a report agaisnt them

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

the gardai came the day i went up there and to stop wasting police time with this nonsense and that they could file a report agaisnt them

The Gardai said that?

Have any of the complaints been legitimate?

My understanding is that the whole PRTB process is a two way street (i.e. that your friend should be able to appeal the eviction).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

of course sometimes the people in my friends house can b loud
    But why are they loud?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 yungwan1k94

the_syco wrote: »
    But why are they loud?
    there is 2 children in the house and occasionally the 7 grand children come over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Any chance you could punctuate your posts please? The OP is nigh on unreadable.

First off, the neighbours cannot contact the PRTB about these tenants; the PRTB is there to solve disputes between tenants and landlords, the neighbours would have been told pretty swifty where to go.

They got an eviction letter from whom exactly? What did it say?

Tell them to get in contact with Threshold, explain their story to them and show them the eviction letter. It is entirely possible to have tenants evicted for antisocial behaviour, however there are very strict steps which must be followed to the letter, so they need to get proper legal advice, or at the very least advice from Threshold, about where they stand. If the landlord wants to evict them on antisocial grounds he needs to have a very good case against them, but we cannot advise properly as we have no idea how strong his case may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

djimi wrote: »

First off, the neighbours cannot contact the PRTB about these tenants; the PRTB is there to solve disputes between tenants and landlords, the neighbours would have been told pretty swifty where to go.

Not true. You can make a third party complaint to the PRTB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

They can

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/an-end-to-residents-lengthy-nightmare-217164.html
    With their quality of life in tatters, and feeling threatened and intimidated, a group of 13 neighbours united to take on the landlord. And won.

After two Private Residential Tenancies Board hearings, an appeal, and two independent tribunal hearings, the landlord has been ordered to pay the residents almost €30,000 in damages.

That was a case of neighbours taking a case with the PRTB against the landlord. Can the same be done against the tenant directly? I didnt think that it could to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

That was a case of neighbours taking a case with the PRTB against the landlord. Can the same be done against the tenant directly? I didnt think that it could to be honest.

The residents can certainly make a complaint and the PRTB may instruct the landlord to deal with it. It's not a case of
    the PRTB is there to solve disputes between tenants and landlords, the neighbours would have been told pretty swifty where to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Most landlords would be happy with tenants that are not causing problems or nuance to the neighbours. The fact the OP has said they can be loud is enough said for me. Trying living next door to that for a while and see how you get on.

jd wrote: »
    The residents can certainly make a complaint and the PRTB may instruct the landlord to deal with it.

If thats the case then I stand corrected. I was of the understanding that the PRTB was there to primarily deal with issues between tenants and landlords, and that a matter of this nature would have to be dealt with externally between the neighbours and the landlord, at which point the landlord could then choose to initiate eviction proceedings with the tenant (which is where the PRTB could then potentially become involved).

If the neighbours can go directly to the PRTB first then that is great news I guess for people who are dealing with antisocial behaviour from tenant neighbours.

Advertisement