Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lucid dreaming

• 03-01-2013 6:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here practiced lucid dreaming. It seems really interesting. I've been trying to do it but its extremely difficult! Is it even possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Moved from Mysteries of the Unexplained!
    Probably a better fit here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭Podgers

Since October i have been trying it.

I keep a journal and lately i have been setting the alarm clock from 4:30 in the morning then 5:30 and 6:30.

i use the time on my phone as a reality check but so far hasn't came into my dreams, basically looking at it, looking away for a few seconds and looking back at it again to make sure the time hasn't changed. it takes a bit of time
    i had some success but minimum.

how long have you been trying it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have had some instances of this. But once I become aware I am dreaming I can't keep myself asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I had a lovely session recently during an afternoon nap. From the get go I knew I was dreaming. More dozing really. I remember them more if I am just napping. Dreaming coming out of a heavy sleep is a bit different for me but I soon realise I am dreaming. I can decide to keep dreaming or wake up.

I can't really give tips as its something I could just always do. Napping while lying on your back would be a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Since posting here I have worked on a few things to see how to make it work for people.

The weather is perfect for trying it out, well, at least it makes me sleepy.

Nap in the evening, on your back, in a room that is at normal light levels. It is best if it is quiet as back ground noise will affect your dreaming.

The trick is to hit REM and staying there. you are almost half awake or in the land between awake and asleep.

Once you are settled down, on your back, in a quiet, non dark room, start to day dream. Pick any scenario and just play it out in your head. As you drift off, the story will carry on but you should still be able to control what is happening. Keep doing this over and over again and you willl get to a point where you know you are sleeping and can either wake up or keep dreaming.

If I am disturbed, by noise for example. I can easily go back into the dream upon sleeping without having to try.

Dreams after a deep sleep cycle are different and far harder to control in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

First time poster in this forum, just wanted to share my experiences with lucid dreaming. I have always had a recurring lucid dream which did not start out as a lucid dream but was more like a recurring nightmare.

I would be being chased by either people meaning to do me harm or some malevolent entity and I always seemed too slow to outrun them so I would literally run circles around them to dodge them.

This dream as I said was always a recurring one and then suddenly I began to realise a familiarity every time I got the dream and I became aware that it was just a dream and I began to lose any fear attached to it.

It was at this point that I began to really try to control myself within the dream and I discovered that I could jump up in the air to dodge the people chasing me. I was able to develop this jumping into flying and as this dream kept recurring it became less about escape and more about flying and being completely lucid and in control.

Unfortunately as I've grown older these dreams have become less frequent and harder to experience. Hence why I have stumbled on to this forum to see if anyone has tips on how to invoke these beautiful dreams and will them to happen rather than waiting for them to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭waking dreams

I am fascinated by lucid dreaming, I have done some research and spoken with people who can successfully control their lucid dreams.

A technique I was told was to take an image of something in particular. Think of something abstract, for example a pink clock. Lol. If you think of a pink clock and tie your thoughts in with how you want to lucid dream you can use this image as a trigger. So say to yourself that every time I see a pink clock it means that I am in a lucid dream.

When you are in a lucid dream and you see a pink clock it tells your brain that you are dreaming, people often want to be able to control their dreams and do what they want, be it fly or get off with a certain girl etc etc. By triggering your brain that you are dreaming it may give you control over your actions.

I have tried this a lot but I still cannot gain full control.

Another thing to try is when you wake in the morning, instead of jumping out of bed and going about your normal day, take 3 to 5 mins and focus on something and think about your dreams, this is a great way of remembering them. If you just jump out of bed and continue your normal routine the chances of remembering your dreams are slim. This really works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SnareDreams

:)i have become very interested in this lately, it sounds unreal!!! Ive been trying the WILD method the last few nights, going straight from being awake into a dream without a lapse in consciousness.... (wake induced lucid dreaming) i got passed the sleep paralysis and felt like i was floating out of my bed, then i got excited and woke up.... It was unbelievable..... Im gonna keep trying every night! It just sounds so cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭Podgers

i got an app on my phone called songza and on it there is a playlist with ambient background music. i notice things like the sound of a rain forest, or waves crashing, has a total affect on my dreams. since i started keeping a dream journal i found it hard at first but i have become totally aware that i am dreaming, sometimes the control factor is difficult. but i read over my dreams the past year and i remember most of them if it actually happened, sometimes i am unsure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

During the week I had a dream that I was the passenger in a car with my dad, during the trip something happened that made me realise that I was in a dream. Wanting to test out my control over the dream but being unfortunately stuck in a moving car I decided the only thing to do was to yank the steering wheel to the left to see what would happen. Amusingly I got spooked that if I had somehow made a mistake about being in a dream I was about to kill myself and my father so I did nothing. Cant remember anything else.

I've had Lucid dreams before and even though I'd read about it I never actually tried to have one, I just so happened to recognise recurring dreams. I'm a pretty poor sleeper and at different times have had sleep paralysis, hallucinations while falling asleep and more than a few sleepwalking incidents, I've often wondered if they're all connected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement