Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Absence of Tricolour

• 03-01-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

If you take a walk down Dame street you will notice that there is an abundance of flag poles that do not bear our national flag on top of those beautiful 18th and 19th century buildings. In general we do not fly the bratach na hÉireann as often as other countries would fly their national flag. I believe it is important to showcase our flag and show our Patriotic side. Opinions?

Ireland ranked number 1 most patriotic country on the worlds value survey in 1992 and number 3 in 2004

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

What patriotic side?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tomlad123

What patriotic side?

I was waiting for this comment. We are lacking just that. That may be the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Miniature Irish flags for all!

tomlad123 wrote: »
    I was waiting for this comment. We are lacking just that. That may be the problem
    Hopefully didnt keep ya waiting too long :p
    But as a people we have very little national pride. Besides gettin together and chanting the fields of athenry when our soccer team is gettin a battering, the irish people are all talk and no action when it comes to making the country a better place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

We should put shítloads of them up, just to take them down to please our northern brothers, and then carry on as normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Miniature Irish flags for all!

Don't mention the abortions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

our Patriotic side. Opinions?

Our flag is stained with blood and embarrassed.

Which patriotic side? If it is loyalty to the elected Government we should raise the Dienstflagge der Bundesbehörden.

Followed by flags of all nations.

On this subject, I'd support making a new Irish Flag and leaving the Green White n Gold or Orange in history. At least then we would know who is patriotic to what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

gbee wrote: »
    Our flag is stained with blood and embarrassed.
    Unlike the rest of the world who've never been involved in war :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Isint some group from the north coming down to protest about their flag flying or something ???

Quick hide the tricolors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I wouldn't worry about it OP.

Sure isn't the tricolour the property of Sinn Feinn these days anyway?

If your so worried about the flag...why dont you tell us what the flag actually means, what the white in the middle symbolizes between green and orange, then think again about where our "Patriotic" side is......

Moron

The flags symbolic meaning is peace between the Catholic and Protestant population living on the island of Ireland.

The flag officially represents the sovereign State of the Republic of Ireland. As a proud citizen of the Republic of Ireland I believe we should fly it high to show our devotion to our country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

There is a lot of work to flying a flag, they have to be taken down before dusk, put back out at dawn, it's not all its cracked up to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

If you take a walk down Dame street you will notice that there is an abundance of flag poles that do not bear our national flag on top of those beautiful 18th and 19th century buildings. In general we do not fly the bratach na hÉireann as often as other countries would fly their national flag. I believe it is important to showcase our flag and show our Patriotic side. Opinions?

Ireland ranked number 1 most patriotic country on the worlds value survey in 1992 and number 3 in 2004

In my opinion trolling is like nostalgia, just not want it used to be!:D

Unlike the rest of the world who've never been involved in war :rolleyes:

No quite. All national flags will have been born from bloodshed, no problem with that, but we have and use the same flag to hide behind as well.

As you'll know there was an effort to change our flag to Gold instead of Orange and you'll see in old photos the two sometimes flying together, and it was not the dye fading in the Orange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I believe it is important to showcase our flag and show our Patriotic side. Opinions?

I believe there's nothing patriotic about flying a piece of cloth for no reason. I think Irish people overuse the flag. Tricolour plastic shades made in China, for example. Is there anything less patriotic?

If you want to be a treu patriot OP, support local businesses and communities. Let local pride grow naturally and stop worrying about flags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I like the flag, give us all something to look at while we sing Ireland's Call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I suggest pirate flags.

Everyone likes pirate flags....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The flags symbolic meaning is peace between the Catholic and Protestant population living on the island of Ireland.

The flag officially represents the sovereign State of the Republic of Ireland. As a proud citizen of the Republic of Ireland I believe we should fly it high to show our devotion to our country

It does fly in a lot of places around the capital though doesn't it. I'd be wary of going down the American route, I hate the way they plaster their flag over everything.

• Advertisement

No quite. All national flags will have been born from bloodshed, no problem with that, but we have and use the same flag to hide behind as well.

As you'll know there was an effort to change our flag to Gold instead of Orange and you'll see in old photos the two sometimes flying together, and it was not the dye fading in the Orange.
    Hide behind it how?
    BTW I am in no way patriotic. Couldnt give a balls once I'm happy. But why was it changed to gold? I still see orange on most flags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

How can a flag be embarrassed? It's an inanimate ****ing object in the words of Harry.

The flag, like many other in Irish Politics swapped sides a bit, we could devote two books to this exact subject, who designed it, who parted sides, who continued to fly it and why, after being defeated, who swapped sides and raised the same flag with a different motive.

It is the law in most territorial waters that the national flag must be the highest flag, in state owned buildings, civil service and military organisations it must also be the biggest flag and flying the highest, it must come down at dusk and be raised at dawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Just FYI the country is called either Éire or Ireland.

"The Republic of" part is descriptive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I noticed this first when I went to the US. They have flags *everywhere*. Made me realise how little you see the tricolour here. I think it's actually really nice how proud they are of their nation. I think we have a fine country when you weigh it all up and wondered why we don't fly our flag as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

why would that be a problem?

patriotism is nationalism. It's a pathetic form of self esteem substitute via the safety of a flock. Anyone who needs to feel passion because of colours on a sheet should take a hard look at themselves as an individual.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I suggest pirate flags.

Everyone likes pirate flags....

On that note, Cork used to fly the Confederate Flag ~ it is more or less banned now, well we tried. :)

OH, gosh, nearly forgot, UCC flies the Pirate Flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Tails142 wrote: »
    There is a lot of work to flying a flag, they have to be taken down before dusk, put back out at dawn, it's not all its cracked up to be.
    and don't talk to me about folding it, the green must never touch the orange, it all kicks off when you get them two in the same room...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Writing anything on a Tricolour rendures its powers useless

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    I noticed this first when I went to the US. They have flags *everywhere*. Made me realise how little you see the tricolour here. I think it's actually really nice how proud they are of their nation. I think we have a fine country when you weigh it all up and wondered why we don't fly our flag as much.

I think it's absolutely vile how nationalist the americans are. It's an unhealthy obsession fostered from 9/11 and subsequent wars, how could that be enviable?

They have american flags on police uniforms of states which are numerous days land travel to a foreign border. They have massive american flags outside private homes. Who are they sending this message to?
    It's a constraint on the people too, everyone has to abide by some plastic 'american way'

We had far more intense nationalism in this country for a long time, tied in with the the 'true identity' of ireland, which was the rcc. Everyone is paying lip service to some group mentality. If you sway from which you are alienated.

Absolutely ridiculous that any adult with self respect for their own intelligence would want to encourage that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

and don't talk to me about folding it, the green must never touch the orange, it all kicks off when you get them two in the same room...

You have to burn it if it ever touches the ground too

Just FYI the country is called either Éire or Ireland.

"The Republic of" part is descriptive.

It's the legal part, the part in the UN Charter and so on, the part the flag officially and legally covers.

Like that or not, that's the way it is. Northern Ireland is as good as a separate state and is recognised as such whilst being a willing partner to the UK. As it is near certain that Scotland will return to independence soon, Northern Ireland is thought to be next to do so and Wales are staying to see how everyone else gets on.

Leftist wrote: »
    I think it's absolutely vile how nationalist the americans are. It's an unhealthy obsession fostered from 9/11 and subsequent wars, how could that be enviable?

They have american flags on police uniforms of states which are numerous days land travel to a foreign border. They have massive american flags outside private homes. Who are they sending this message to?
    It's a constraint on the people too, everyone has to abide by some plastic 'american way'

We had far more intense nationalism in this country for a long time, tied in with the the 'true identity' of ireland, which was the rcc. Everyone is paying lip service to some group mentality. If you sway from which you are alienated.

Absolutely ridiculous that any adult with self respect for their own intelligence would want to encourage that.

It encourages unity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can't stand individuals flying flags. I'm inherently suspicious of people who consider their nationality to be an important part of their identity, it means they're more likely to be bigots.

States fly flags to identify themselves. Individuals shouldn't.

It was pre-9/11. :) They're proud that they live in a nation where values that they consider important are considered important. Have you been to the US? Talked to anyone American about how they feel about their nation or why they fly a flag on their home? From the rest of your post, I'm guessing not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Writing anything on a Tricolour rendures its powers useless

Seems all too common these days. I remember during euro 2012 a Tricolour with 'Any chance of a ride' written across it was pictured hanging over an apartment balcony in Poland.

It encourages unity

In war time.
    The rest of the time is encourages animosity to those who are excluded from the group.

seamus wrote: »
    Can't stand individuals flying flags. I'm inherently suspicious of people who consider their nationality to be an important part of their identity, it means they're more likely to be bigots.

The lads I spoke to about it weren't mad nationalists or bigoted in any way (that I was aware of anyway). It's somewhat hard to describe. They were proud that they lived a country where freedom was valued and they linked the flag to an expression of that.

In war time.
    The rest of the time is encourages animosity to those who are excluded from the group.

Garbage. I've never met an American yet that thought I was a dick because I wasn't American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Lots of sweeping statements here. I don't care about increasing the visibility of the flag, but being totally anti the flag of your country is odd, and accusing it of being bloodstained is odder.

It was never officually changed to green and gold, sometimes people used that to describe it but it was always orange.

• Advertisement

Seems all too common these days. I remember during euro 2012 a Tricolour with 'Any chance of a ride' written across it was pictured hanging over an apartment balcony in Poland.

What did this mean, do you think?

Khannie wrote: »
    It was pre-9/11. :) They're proud that they live in a nation where values that they consider important are considered important. Have you been to the US? Talked to anyone American about how they feel about their nation or why they fly a flag on their home? From the rest of your post, I'm guessing not.

I lived in the united states on two seperate occassions.

Half the people in the world consider themselves proud of a man made state that applies the values they consider important.

Here's the catch, they were raised in an enviroment that encourages those values and teaches it to them when they are children.

It was never officually changed to green and gold, sometimes people used that to describe it but it was always orange.

It was taught in school, my primary schooling in the 60's it was orange and the love and peace stuff, by the time I finished secondary in the 70's it was Gold and none of the lovey dovey stuff.

It was taught in school, my primary schooling in the 60's it was orange and the love and peace stuff, by the time I finished secondary in the 70's it was Gold and none of the lovey dovey stuff.

I heard green and gold in the 80's and 90's in school.

But, that was not official.

Green White an Orange was first taught to me in school as Nationalism, with Peace between the Orange of the North.

Green White an Gold in secondary school was, Nationalism, Peace and Prosperity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There seemed to be a fashion of calling it gold in the late 80's/early ninties.

My theory is that flag makers around the time realised they could save money by scrimping on the amount of dye they used in the flags. Green will still be green, but orange will be washed out to give a dirty-yellow appearance like gold.

I heard green and gold in the 80's and 90's in school.

But, that was not official.

Right, I'll follow you to the conspiracy forum, we've unearthed an undercover Government plot! :)

Green White an Orange was first taught to me in school as Nationalism, with Peace between the Orange of the North.

Green White an Gold in secondary school was, Nationalism, Peace and Prosperity.

Do I have to repeat "that was not official"?

Ok,

That was not official.

Teachers can teach anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I've valways felt patriotism to be a massively overrated concept. I'm supposed to be passionatly involved in soething just because of the circumstances of my birth...?

Might as well make me a catholic, so.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

green white and gold is a sectarian lie.

it is orange.

• Advertisement
Advertisement