Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Absence of Tricolour

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

There was no plot. The actual flag didn't change, for official purposes. People misrepresented the colours in song ( gold being easier to rhyme), some flag makers used gold(or rather yellow), flags fade, and some people wanted to remove reference to the Orange part politically.

Officially - the official flag - was always orange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I heard green and gold in the 80's and 90's in school.

But, that was not official.

Orange doesn't rhyme with anything if you want to compose a good old Brits out/up the Ra song.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

gbee wrote: »
    What did this mean, do you think?

It's disrespectful enough to be writing on the flag in the first place without using a crass double entendre as well.

Orange doesn't rhyme with anything if you want to compose a good old Brits out/up the Ra song.

I honestly think this a major reason. You can grow old, be bold, never fold, brave the cold (etc.) for the green white and gold. For the green white and orange you would have to er,......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

It's the legal part, the part in the UN Charter and so on, the part the flag officially and legally covers.

Like that or not, that's the way it is. Northern Ireland is as good as a separate state and is recognised as such whilst being a willing partner to the UK. As it is near certain that Scotland will return to independence soon, Northern Ireland is thought to be next to do so and Wales are staying to see how everyone else gets on.

No no its it not.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I've valways felt patriotism to be a massively overrated concept. I'm supposed to be passionatly involved in soething just because of the circumstances of my birth...?

Might as well make me a catholic, so.

You are massively and passionately involved in the culture you are born into anyway. And being "anti-Catholic" is a part if that these days. The culture is basically that of the Anglosphere, and you know far more about those countries than, say, France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Gold is the colour of the Vatican

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

tomlad123 wrote: »
    The flags symbolic meaning is peace between the Catholic and Protestant population living on the island of Ireland.

The flag officially represents the sovereign State of the Republic of Ireland. As a proud citizen of the Republic of Ireland I believe we should fly it high to show our devotion to our country

So proud a citizen you don't even know the name of the state?

Definitely a wind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I've valways felt patriotism to be a massively overrated concept. I'm supposed to be passionatly involved in soething just because of the circumstances of my birth...?

Might as well make me a catholic, so.

I hope you see the irony in your post.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The Offaly flag is Green White and Gold.

The Irish flag is Green White and Orange.

Quazzie wrote: »
    The Offaly flag is Green White and Gold.

The Irish flag is Green White and Orange.

You learn something new everyday.

You learn something new everyday.
    Also the Offaly flag is horizontal stripes whereas the Irish one is vertical stripes for the pedants out there.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Also the Offaly flag is horizontal stripes whereas the Irish one is vertical stripes for the pedants out there.

Honestly did not know that having being watching GAA for 22 years now.

I have mate from Offaly who claims both flags are same. Going put him on backside next time:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Dodge wrote: »
    So proud a citizen you don't even know the name of the state?

Definitely a wind up.
    course he knows the name, he's just using the descriptive 'the Republic of...' to differentiate it from 'the Island of...'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

I honestly think this a major reason. You can grow old, be bold, never fold, brave the cold (etc.) for the green white and gold. For the green white and orange you would have to er,......

"Don't lose that syringe!"
    "Did ya butchers her minge"

They should teach Homosexuality in school again because Poetry has gone way bad.

There are plenty of examples of Orange rhyming with stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Teachers can teach anything.

A single rough teacher maybe, otherwise they have to teach within department guidelines, they cannot and never could teach anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tails142 wrote: »
    There is a lot of work to flying a flag, they have to be taken down before dusk, put back out at dawn, it's not all its cracked up to be.

You see alot of the embassies leave their flags up overnight. Wondered about this. Saudi embassy definitely does as does the Brazilian. Is it just the Irish flag needs to be taken down or is a common rule?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

A flag is usually a piece of dyed cloth that some people get worked up about.

A flag is a symbol, but we don't need flags, maybe if everyone was illiterate we would, but most people can read and write and those who can't can get help to do so.

Honestly did not know that having being watching GAA for 22 years now.

I have mate from Offaly who claims both flags are same. Going put him on backside next time:p
    Another small fact. The Offaly flag is the most sold County flag because of the amount of tourists buying them.

I probably sound like I should have a guest slot on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I have to say that this is one of the traits of the Irish that I find rather endearing.
    They're not so bloody insecure about themselves that they need to have flags flying everywhere and mention patriotism in every other sentence.

It makes for a much nicer, friendlier, more relaxed and more inclusive atmosphere. People feel much more welcome.

• Advertisement

course he knows the name, he's just using the descriptive 'the Republic of...' to differentiate it from 'the Island of...'

That would be ok except he described himself as a citizen of the Republic of Ireland.

Ireland (/ˈaɪərlənd/ or /ˈɑrlənd/; Irish: Éire, pronounced [ˈeːɾʲə] ( listen)), also known as the Republic of Ireland (Irish: Poblacht na hÉireann), is a sovereign state in Europe occupying about five-sixths of the island of Ireland. It is a unitary parliamentary republic[8] with an elected president serving as head of state. The head of government—called the Taoiseach—is nominated by the lower house of parliament (Dáil Éireann). The capital is Dublin in the east of the island. The state shares its only land border with Northern Ireland, a part of the United Kingdom. It is otherwise surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, with the Celtic Sea to the south, Saint George's Channel to the south east, and the Irish Sea to the east.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

If you go to Norway half the houses fly a special version of their national glag which does not have to be lower at sundown.

As for the Irish being so patriotic...

Gimmie a break. Sitting in pubs watching skysports, wearing britsh club jersies and screaming "go on moi san!" in mockey accents.

Yet they wouldn't cross the street to support their nearest league of Ireland club.

As for GAA - that thing has destroyed national identity by creating 32 wee countries which ALWAYS come before Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Khannie wrote: »
    I noticed this first when I went to the US. They have flags *everywhere*. Made me realise how little you see the tricolour here. I think it's actually really nice how proud they are of their nation. I think we have a fine country when you weigh it all up and wondered why we don't fly our flag as much.
    I don't know, I've found that countries who are most insecure about their identity to be the loudest and most brash flag flyers.

Usually in the places most determined to cling onto their colonial past (NI) or dismiss it altogether (USA). And indeed sometimes for countries torn between the two (Australia)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

tomlad123 wrote: »
    The flags symbolic meaning is peace between the Catholic and Protestant population living on the island of Ireland.

The flag officially represents the sovereign State of the Republic of Ireland. As a proud citizen of the Republic of Ireland I believe we should fly it high to show our devotion to our country

Yeah fine, but not from high atop Centra, Abercrombie, Abrakebabra or any of the Banks come to think of it. Which leaves very little scope on Dame Street, expect maybe for Central Bank plaza or the forecourt of the Trinity portico, off hand I dont know if it is flown there or not.

Outside of special occasions, State buildings and institutions are where it should be and is flown........although maybe I should rethink those banks.....

Ireland (/ˈaɪərlənd/ or /ˈɑrlənd/; Irish: Éire, pronounced [ˈeːɾʲə] ( listen)), also known as the Republic of Ireland (Irish: Poblacht na hÉireann), is a sovereign state in Europe occupying about five-sixths of the island of Ireland. It is a unitary parliamentary republic[8] with an elected president serving as head of state. The head of government—called the Taoiseach—is nominated by the lower house of parliament (Dáil Éireann). The capital is Dublin in the east of the island. The state shares its only land border with Northern Ireland, a part of the United Kingdom. It is otherwise surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, with the Celtic Sea to the south, Saint George's Channel to the south east, and the Irish Sea to the east.

Are you for real a wiki entry :P

Article 4 of the constitution says;

The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/attached_files/html%20files/Constitution%20of%20Ireland%20(Eng)Nov2004.htm

The state was proclaimed a republic follwing the abdication of the English king in 1948, act passed in 1949

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1948/en/act/pub/0022/sec0002.html#zza22y1948s2

Ireland is a republic in the same way France and Italy are but we dont need to call them the Republic of France and the Italian republic so I dont see why we need to state it about Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Only fly the flag if you are going to go by the strict guide lines for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You see alot of the embassies leave their flags up overnight. Wondered about this. Saudi embassy definitely does as does the Brazilian. Is it just the Irish flag needs to be taken down or is a common rule?

Might be different with other states, but you'd often see them raising and lowering in movies. So it's not just an Irish thing.

Overall, I think the thing with the states is to get most people into a mindset. It's how you manipulate a population. Just as well we aren't over loaded with the flag here except for events. You'd all be complaining that ye were sick of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Our flag is stained with blood and embarrassed.

On this subject, I'd support making a new Irish Flag and leaving the Green White n Gold or Orange in history. At least then we would know who is patriotic to what.

Always curious about the hint of Gold by many people in many posts, what's that all about? Like Orange is there for a reason, but gold has no meaning & makes no sense in the Irish Tricolour.

As for GAA - that thing has destroyed national identity by creating 32 wee countries which ALWAYS come before Ireland.

They create and support division, despite that I think they do great work for the youth, their roots are still firmly in the past and mentality entrenched.

• Advertisement

gbee, you can believe wikipedia or you can believe the constitution of the state;

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/eng/Historical_Information/About_the_Constitution,_Flag,_Anthem_Harp/Constitution_of_Ireland_August_2012.pdf

Article 4
    The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland

There's no such place as the Republic of Ireland

LordSutch wrote: »
    Always curious about the hint of Gold by many people in many posts, what's that all about? Like Orange is there for a reason, but gold has no meaning & makes no sense in the Irish Tricolour.

I explained my side earlier, as you read the thread it will become clearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Gimmie a break. Sitting in pubs watching skysports, wearing britsh club jersies and screaming "go on moi san!" in mockey accents.

Yet they wouldn't cross the street to support their nearest league of Ireland club.
    So, if they support a LOI club over say their local Leinster Senior League club that makes it ok then?

If you go to Norway half the houses fly a special version of their national glag which does not have to be lower at sundown.

I think you will find the creation of the 32 counties was a product of the English!

Prior to that Ireland was divided as provinces.

The Orange represented the PPRESBYTERIANS and not Anglicans.

The United Irishmen were Catholics and Presbyterians (both victimised bt the Penal Laws)

It's always been the flag of southern Ireland in an ironic way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Its meant to be poetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I don't get why people are so anti-patriotism. I'm not one to go around flying the Irish flag out my window and shouting 'up the Ra'...I'm not that kind of patriotic person. But being Irish is part of who I am. Somebody earlier on said why would nationality be part of your identity. I say it's a huge part. Irish people, in general, are different to Australian people who are different to Korean people, who are different to Botswanian people etc. etc. Each nationality holds its own languages, cultures, 'ways of life'. It's what I find most interesting about travelling, learning different languages and cultures and tasting different food etc.

There's nothing wrong with being patriotic. Being patriotic doesn't automatically mean being an extreme nationalist xenophobic. I hate the way in Ireland if you're seen wearing and Ireland jersey or with a flag at a football match you're considered to be that type of person. It doesn't seem to happen in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

As you'll know there was an effort to change our flag to Gold instead of Orange and you'll see in old photos the two sometimes flying together, and it was not the dye fading in the Orange.

But why Gold? was it to pretend that the Orange didn't exist, or wasn't welcome???

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    So, if they support a LOI club over say their local Leinster Senior League club that makes it ok then?

they would patriotic and not wannabe "ave a go" gob****es.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Might be different with other states, but you'd often see them raising and lowering in movies. So it's not just an Irish thing.

Yeah maybe it's the English speaking countries, some throw back to the British as I have often seen the Merican flag coming down too.

Load of nonsense really when you think about it when you consider the US national anthem has the flag flying all night:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I saw the biggest 'flag' in the world this morning:) Jet pilots having a bit of fun with their jetstreams making a big Saltire in the sky - lovely it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The day people stop acting as though these arbitrary group identities are important is the day the Earth knows peace.

The Orange represented the PPRESBYTERIANS and not Anglicans.

The United Irishmen were Catholics and Presbyterians (both victimised bt the Penal Laws)

It's always been the flag of southern Ireland in an ironic way.

Eh the flag was given to Ireland in 1848 by some french women a long time before the country was divided into north and south :rolleyes:

Ireland is a republic in the same way France and Italy are but we dont need to call them the Republic of France and the Italian republic so I dont see why we need to state it about Ireland.

That, sir, is a different question. A valid one too, but officially we are the ROI, in searching for Ireland in drop down menus one will find Ireland Or the Rebublic of Ireland in about equal amounts, one will almost never find Éire.

Eh the flag was given to Ireland in 1848 by some french women a long time before the country was divided into north and south :rolleyes:

WOOSH...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Zillah wrote: »
    The day people stop acting as though these arbitrary group identities are important is the day the Earth knows peace.
    Seriously doubt that, Humanity will find another reason to kill each other be it religion,ethnicity etc.

They create and support division, despite that I think they do great work for the youth, their roots are still firmly in the past and mentality entrenched.

Do they really? Or do they just create the next generations of FF/FG voting ****?

But why Gold? was it to pretend that the Orange didn't exist, or wasn't welcome???

Exactly that. People used the term gold in a snub to the 'orange side' (not that anyone ever used that term, but you know what I mean). Was used fairly liberally when i was growing up.

Not sure what the current generation of kids are picking up but it seems more green, white and orange these days

That, sir, is a different question. A valid one too, but officially we are the ROI, in searching for Ireland in drop down menus one will find Ireland Or the Rebublic of Ireland in about equal amounts, one will almost never find Éire.

No as you have been shown twice once by and then by another poster.

The constitution of Ireland, which is the foundation of all Irish law says the name of the country is Ireland!

Do they really? Or do they just create the next generations of FF/FG voting ****?

I can't disagree with that assessment, however, I've seen what goes on from about ten years through teens, and we all know the value of sport, exercise, health, crime and sociability.

Does it outweigh the overall results? I'm not convinced, maybe I'll know in another ten years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement