Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Absence of Tricolour

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'd personally think of the country as the government and such. I doubt that needs much explaining.
    If you voted for them then yes it does need explaining. If you didn't vote for them then maybe the idea of democracy just isn't for you. The Irish governmental system follows what is used in most of the western world, so maybe you can suggest a better alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Quazzie wrote: »
    If you voted for them then yes it does need explaining. If you didn't vote for them then maybe the idea of democracy just isn't for you. The Irish governmental system follows what is used in most of the western world, so maybe you can suggest a better alternative?

I'll admit I'm just not politically interested. If anything I'm just all for personal liberties with minimal government interference in what I do to my own body. I don't think I voted in the last General Election, I don't remember fully, but I don't think any candidate at all suited me in my constituency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'll admit I'm just not politically interested. If anything I'm just all for personal liberties with minimal government interference in what I do to my own body. I don't think I voted in the last General Election, I don't remember fully, but I don't think any candidate at all suited me in my constituency.
    I don't mean to single you out, but you are part of the problem in this country, and I think we both agree there is a problem. The political system, and how its implemented moreso, is based upon local politics. There are too many me feiners who only look out for what the government can do for them personally or locally, rather than voting for the set-up of party that will benefit the country as a whole.

Perhaps a bit more patriotism* in voting selection might have reduced the mess we are in now.

*Please don't confuse patriotism with Sinn Fein who seem to want to copyright the word and instill their version of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Quazzie wrote: »
    I don't mean to single you out, but you are part of the problem in this country, and I think we both agree there is a problem. The political system, and how its implemented moreso, is based upon local politics. There are too many me feiners who only look out for what the government can do for them personally or locally, rather than voting for the set-up of party that will benefit the country as a whole.

Perhaps a bit more patriotism* in voting selection might have reduced the mess we are in now.
    *Please don't confuse patriotism with Sinn Fein who seem to want to copyright the word and instill their version of it.

I agree there are far too many me feiners, but I don't see how I specifically am part of the problem when I can't find a candidate for whom I feel I can get behind based on my own political views which simply are liberty of ones own body.

Including but not limited to; Legalising abortion, Legalisation of most drugs but sold in the same manner as pubs, etc.

There simply was no candidate in my locality who suited what I believe in. Most were the typical FG FF Labour, SF and Greens, with a few independants who included a guy who just wanted foreigners out, and a few hard right catholics who wanted more jesus in the world. I can't remember everyone, but I know I couldn't find anyone who suited what I believe.

Am I to compromise and vote for an approximation? That's a waste of my time and will solve nothing.

I don't think that politicians on a national scale should be allowed to interfere on a local level with anything. Fixing the roads shouldn't get someone elected. We have city councillors to take care of that sh1t, TD's should stick to national politics only and taking care of constituents issues on a national level, not to try to bump people on housing lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

While I'm happy and proud to be Irish, but I am unnerved with full on patriotism.
    As another well known Irish man put it "Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Writing anything on a Tricolour rendures its powers useless

Unless its the word Guinness and Guinness logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Einstein, being from Germany, might have had a few hang ups to blind mindless patriotism. ;)
    Being proud of where you live, does not equal senseless violence.

Please allow me, being from Ireland, to have a few 'hang ups' about mindless patriotism.

"Being proud of where you live, does not equal senseless violence"

True, though I do believe that excessive national pride should always be kept in check, how much is enough, or how much is too much?

I take it you mean, proud of the country in which you live, does that still count if you were born elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

being proud of where you live? :D I am proud of my jeans, for they hide stains and have big pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

people who call it the trickler should be killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

people who call it the trickler should be killed.

Who does this, I'll load my shotgun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

it doesn't have to be full on patriotism at all,in some contries it's just fashionable. The Swiss think their flag is cool as do the British and I have no problem with that. How come it always has to be so bloody emotive when it comes to the tri colour? Do we have to be so bloody self loathing that we can't even appreciate our own flag?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

smurgen wrote: »
    it doesn't have to be full on patriotism at all,in some contries it's just fashionable. The Swiss think their flag is cool as do the British and I have no problem with that. How come it always has to be so bloody emotive when it comes to the tri colour? Do we have to be so bloody self loathing that we can't even appreciate our own flag?

the british obsession with the union jack is cringeworthy and is usually reserved for the morons who idolise the royalty or pretend to be part of some football 'firm'. There's nothing healthy about it and I'd be happier with not doing that.

there's a reason why election posters fit in a tricolour, it's a quick method of attracting the approval of idiots. Oh he's irish, he must be a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

here in Waterford we have a celebration, in March, of the man who introduced the tricolour and the idea behind it, something we are very proud of.

IMO the reason the flag is not flown as much as, say the us flag over there, is that some people are afraid that people might think they are "in the ra" or sympathisers, and its only acceptable to fly it when everyone else does it: eg: the euro champ's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."

It is frankly, a ridiculous notion that is far too easily abused. Best to get rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

smurgen wrote: »

Do we have to be so insecure about our country that we have to remind everybody that we have our own flag?

I don't mind either way but you can't argue that it shouldn't be emotive, and then claim people are against glag waving because they're self loathing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Dodge wrote: »
    Do we have to be so insecure about our country that we have to remind everybody that we have our own flag?

I don't mind either way but you can't argue that it shouldn't be emotive, and then claim people are against glag waving because they're self loathing

okay you got me there-good point, but it irks me that with the first mention of the tricolour people mention the IRA and alot of other negative factors associated with the flag. That flag belongs to the ordinary people of ireland,it does not belong to any radical group. The IRA have fu5k all claim over it,it is not their symbol.I fail to see all the negativity associated with ôur national colours. Also having travelled a bit i've noticed how little representation of the national flag there is compared to other nations.

Mabey it is my travel that has made me proud of the flag. When I see the tricolour it's reminds me of home. There are 7.063 billion people in the world,4.4 million people are Irish - therefore 0.0063% of people are Irish.We are fairly unique and we should embrace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Isint some group from the north coming down to protest about their flag flying or something ???

Quick hide the tricolors

Hide them? We should paint the street they will be marching on Green white and orange.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Because flying the flag is a sure sign of being a silly Shinner. Isn't that right Indo readers?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You'd have to be an idiot to forget where the hell you are every 2 doors.
    It's very handy up North.

If the kerbstones are red white and blue, keep driving.

If they are green white and orange, again keep driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

Meh, I don't lose any sleep over the lack of tricolours. Don't think it makes me any more or less patriotic than the next person Leave plastering flags everywhere to the Americans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 tomlad123

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Einstein, being from Germany, might have had a few hang ups to blind mindless patriotism. ;)
    Being proud of where you live, does not equal senseless violence.

I Agree

Advertisement