Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best website design software

Options
  • 03-01-2013 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hey
    Im looking for the best software to design a professional looking e commerce website. I dont mind paying either.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Dazza wrote: »
    Hey
    Im looking for the best software to design a professional looking e commerce website. I dont mind paying either.
    Thanks

Can you elaborate somewhat on what you require and your technical ability?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I would suggest a selection including photoshop, illustrator, flash, as well as wordpress, a powerful database & a merchant account & payment processing facility... for starters. Then I'd calculate in a few years to learn the principals of design, then how to apply your design skills using the above programs and factor in a similar time-frame to learn coding.

#simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You could design and develop an e-comm site yourself but you'll only get a professional looking performing if you are an experienced professional. Given your question, this is an unlikely option.

So that leaves getting either a hosted solution like etsy, shopify, etc. or a solution installed on your own hosting like magento, etc. Either way, you'll need to do a good bit of tuning your themes, conversion, configuration, etc... and have the skill, knowledge and experience to execute that well. If you don't have that you'll have to hire it in, otherwise your solution will suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ivanc

Have a look at create.net. It's ideal for beginners, cheap, easy to set up (and walk away from) and - as you develop your design skills - you'll be able to (pretty much) fully customise it using the web designers' kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

KonFusion wrote: »
    Can you elaborate somewhat on what you require and your technical ability?

Im selling as a shop on ebay and adverts at the minute but id like my own dedicated website. I want a shop part knowledge base and contact us form. Thats about it.
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    I would suggest a selection including photoshop, illustrator, flash, as well as wordpress, a powerful database & a merchant account & payment processing facility... for starters. Then I'd calculate in a few years to learn the principals of design, then how to apply your design skills using the above programs and factor in a similar time-frame to learn coding.

#simples
    That sound a bit advanced for me! I know basic HTML and thats about it. Im thinking more of software that will create the website and let me download it to upload to my own server.
    tricky D wrote: »
    You could design and develop an e-comm site yourself but you'll only get a professional looking performing if you are an experienced professional. Given your question, this is an unlikely option.

So that leaves getting either a hosted solution like etsy, shopify, etc. or a solution installed on your own hosting like magento, etc. Either way, you'll need to do a good bit of tuning your themes, conversion, configuration, etc... and have the skill, knowledge and experience to execute that well. If you don't have that you'll have to hire it in, otherwise your solution will suffer.
    I did a project in school using weebly so im confident enough with configuring and the likes. Ill have a look at etsy and shopify. I was looking at 'Wix' earlier and they seemed ideal but they only allow themselves to host it :/
    ivanc wrote: »
    Have a look at create.net. It's ideal for beginners, cheap, easy to set up (and walk away from) and - as you develop your design skills - you'll be able to (pretty much) fully customise it using the web designers' kit.
    Thanks ill have a look!

• Advertisement
Advertisement