Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the cheapest airline to fly home?

Options
  • 03-01-2013 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to fly from Perth to Ireland in the next month, what's the best way to go about finding the cheapest flight?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

skyscanner.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I just did a quick comparison between Skyscanner.ie and Skyscanner.com.au, I picked the same dates (a month from now) and the same flights came up but the Irish site was cheaper by €100.

Edit to add: yes the Irish site quoted in Euros and the Aus site quoted in Dollars but at todays exchange on xe.com the gap was roughly €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

In the next month? If you mean January you'll pay premium. If you can hold off til February, that's off-peak and you will get something cheaper.

Are you booking one way or return? If your looking for cheap cheap, I would recommend STA Travel. They can generally do a one way flight home for under a grand. So long as you don't mind commuting through Turkey or Korea that is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Yep I second STA travel, if you're 26 or under you can get really good deals. My housemate recently booked a one way flight home for just over $700 flying on Etihad, a ridiculous price compared to the full price on Ethiad.com. And therefore not via Turkey or Korea but pretty much direct to Dublin.
    Not sure how much STA Travel tickets are for customers over the age of 26 but definitely worth checking out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

I gotta leave in January and I recently turned 27.

Has anyone went with flight centre before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

Have a look here. It is one of the better comparison sites

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

If you got through the airlines main websites and you are flexible on your dates then you might get it cheaper. Emirates fly directly to Dublin eliminating the need for a stop over in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Esse85 wrote: »
    I gotta leave in January and I recently turned 27.

Has anyone went with flight centre before?

Doesn't matter if you are over 26, that's just the hook they use to lure young uns in.

My mate who is 29 got a flight home to Manchester for $700 through them. They paid $15 for an STA "student card" (no ID or anything needed, just say you are going home to take up a full-time course) and were able to book the student fares. The airline itself doesn't care whether you are a student, teacher or OAP.

STA are basically loss-leading to get people in the door in the hopes that they can upsell to include accommodation, tours, car hire etc

Seriously give em a ring and see. You could get lucky.

Advertisement